2012 CTS-V Coupe Skip Shift Eliminator - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 2012 CTS-V Coupe Skip Shift Eliminator in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by JimmyH I am surprised you are having a problem with it. Like who Houdini said, it was ...
    Gary Wells is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles

Re: 2012 CTS-V Coupe Skip Shift Eliminator

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I am surprised you are having a problem with it. Like who Houdini said, it was very intrusive on my 2005 CTS-V. But on my Camaro SS, I hardly ever get it. And when I do, half the time, the 1-4 pops up on the DIC but it still lets me into 2nd. Of course 90% of the time, I start in 2nd gear anyway.
    Could yours be blocked off?
    If they are blocked off DIY style with a resistor then the light will still light up, but it will not block you out of the normal shift pattern.
    Now if you buy one of those plug & plays, they also block off the light.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

No, it's not "fixed." I bought it new. Plus, it does force me into 4th sometimes. I think on the camaro it's between 15-19 mph.

On the V1, I bought an adapter from someone on the forum which deactivated the solenoid. But the "1>4" would still light up on the display. The DIC message on the camaro is very fancy. almost pretty.

Attachment 83615

garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

FWIW, SLP sells one (part # 21008) that works on the 5th Gen Camaro and other models as well , but they have not verified its use for the V2. It may or may not work on our cars...
    Considering the other models it works on ('97-'12 'Vet, 4th Gen F-Body, GTO, G8 GXP), it just might work, but SLP, being the kind of standup company they are, won't say that it works until they know for sure that it actually does.

Best regards,

Elie

Torxila is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1 of 1 Evo Green Coupe 6m, with RB9

Zack,
    Where are you? ANY tuner worth his salt can disable that in about 3 minutes. You must be driving your new V EXTREMELY gentle. I have a 6MT coupe and I REALLY have to try to get Skip-Shift to cut in. Anything above idle on the 1-2 shift will disable the S-S.

See a tuner.

George
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by keithsm2 View Post
    Very annoying and stupid....not sure who thought CAGS was a good idea....But i really think the V2 is better...I think you should go back to dealer and have them check it somehow....yours seems to be way to sensitive....( maybe its in the tune somehow..?)
    It's CAFE. Do you want it without? Fine, pony up another $1300 on your gas guzzler tax. You think GM put it in for the hell of it???

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Torxila View Post
    Zack,
    Where are you? ANY tuner worth his salt can disable that in about 3 minutes. You must be driving your new V EXTREMELY gentle. I have a 6MT coupe and I REALLY have to try to get Skip-Shift to cut in. Anything above idle on the 1-2 shift will disable the S-S.

See a tuner.

George
    Agreed. I have to be crawling in 1st and then ever-so-gently go into 2nd. In the V1, it was VERY intrusive. In the V2, just give it a tiny bit more gas and you'll never see it. I've had it activate 3 times in my 30k+ miles. A non-issue.

Besides, 556hp will get 4th gear up and moving quickly, anyway...

jb_bgg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black/Black V, Manual, Recaros, loaded

almost 10K miles on my 09 MT and I've never seen it...

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

25K miles so far and has only activated three times. I can't even remember what I did to invoke it, because it has been so rare, and it really surprised me when it happened. Never mentioned in any of the reviews, either. I tend to baby it around town, due to traffic and some ridiculous speed traps in low speed-limit areas, so I'm not sure what you are doing to cause it to happen. Are you short shifting out of first, perhaps? Try adding a few hundred RPM before shifting and see if that helps.

Fireverm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan Black Diamond manual

I have to agree with saying the CAGS on our V2s is very unobtrusive. This is my 3rd GM manual to have it (other 2 being 95 Z28 and 05 GTO) and with 6k miles on my V I've only tripped it once.

BeagleBrains is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe

Bought the 2011 V Coupe a year ago August. I have encountered the designed Skip-Shift only a couple of times in the year up to now. However, three days ago, after having stopped at a traffic light, when green I proceeded forward but was held to a very slow speed by traffic. When I attempted to upshift my Manual Transmission, at the point where I was in a neutral position, I felt the Skip-Shift take over. I could not continue to Second, nor any other gear.
    The Transmission was jammed so that no gear could be selected and the V would not engage any gear, leaving me in a locked up condition with no ability to shift at all.
    I tried double clutching; tried forcing the selector back to First Gear; then attempted Fourth and Third. The shift lever would not move! I braked the car to a stop. Tranny still jammed between gears with the Coupe unable to move.
    A couple of more Double Clutching moves (release clutch and quickly depress; linkage finally cleared the jam), then I was able to move to select First Gear. There were no problems throughout the remainder of my travels.
    It repeated the jam the next morning after just a few minutes of driving from a garaged cold condition; ambient temperature about 24 Degrees F. Once my Double-Clutch technique released the lockout from all gears, I took it to the Dealer. He called today and reported that he had been able to repeat the jamming/lockup condition two days in a row.
    He has now disengaged the Skip-Shift relay and the transmission operated without failure. The Dealer is keeping the CTS V Coupe to research and test for the cause.
    Now What!?

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Stephen P.,
    I apologize for your frustrations. I am glad that the dealer was able to replicate the issue and get this taken care of for you. Keep us updated when you get your vehicle back.
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Service

Be still my heart. I appreciate your acknowledging my service experience.
    Actually, when I returned to the Service Lane, the Service Manager himself approached me exclaiming that he had taken a personal interest in my CTS V Coupe difficulties. Such a stimulating and refreshing feeling.

The Dealership had just been bought out by another Dealership. The new Service Manager turned out to be a very old friend in the car business. He really talks 'CAR'. And now, to have a Forum member's empathy is above and beyond my greatest imagination.

Another aside: I received a check in the mail paying for my V's damaged front fender and Driver'-side door that occurred while assisting my handicapped wife's accessing our parked car following Pain Therapy.
    Merry Christmas to all.

I received a copy of the Service Order finally. The Service Writer couldn't spell or write an intelligible sentence if his life or discerning my problem depended upon it (which it does!). Here is their report:
    Road tested multiple times and verified concern [Manual Transmission Lock-up]. No Service Bulletins found.
    Called Tech Line; they instructed us to disconnect the Skip-Shift Solenoid and road test. After road testing two times, the concern [Manual Transmission Lock-up] is still present.
    Pinpointed issue to a faulty shifter assembly; a failed bushing.
    Removed Exhaust and Prop Shaft. Replaced Shifter Assembly.
    Road tested and rechecks OK.

----------

I have driven the car for two days, following their Warranty repair. It drives smoothly and the Manual Transmission functions properly.
    I have experienced no [Manual Transmission Lock-up] concerns at all. We are very happy.

RapidRob is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

^^^ - Good to hear! Congrats, and Happy New Year!

Rob

Happy new year to all!

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

In my V1, if you pulled 2nd gear at like 1,500 - 2,000 rpms, while at like 10%-30% throttle, it would engage. Like you leave a green, but the guy in front of you is slow, you pull 2nd to get it over with, and it goes into 4th... sucks.

The V2 must be similar, but I've only seen it a couple of times, so I am guessing they narrowed the criteria (as stated). Has anyone just yanked the clip off the side of the tranny to see if throws a code?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.