Time for a CTSV
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Time for a CTSV in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hi, first post here. I have been on lots of car forums, and ever since I can drive, I have ...
    junker87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon 6 speed

Time for a CTSV

Hi, first post here. I have been on lots of car forums, and ever since I can drive, I have always wanted, and later, blessed to have fast cars.

Except my first car, a POS 86 300ZX that broke down on me all the time, I have had an E36 M3 sedan, E36 M3 coupe, E46 M3 coupe, E30 325is, 996 Turbo, 996 GT2, S4 Avant, E39 M5, and the latest, E90 M3 sedan.

After the hassle of selling cars that we own so we can get into another car, the V will be a lease car.

Since both my wife and I are stick shift only drivers, and since we got one of the last few E90 M3 sedan's, my option for a new RWD family car with manual and good power are severely limited.

Actually, that's an understatement. At present time, the V's are the only option that I have if I wanted a RWD family car with good power and manual. F10 M5 is vaporware right now, and aside from it, there is nothing. That is quite a sad state of affairs for enthusiasts who got married and had kids but didn't want to give up on the joy driving.

I went with the mrs and checked out a V coupe with Recaro seats and alcantara wheels and shifters, and if you didn't see the Cadillac emblem on the steering wheel, you could easily mistaken it for something German, which is a great thing. There are still a few little things that you can tell were the results of last minute conference call denies by the accountants, like the fact that the trunk lining material is the same as the Chevy Malibu and not something from comparable Audi, BMW, and MB supplier. But, those things are so minor compare to the first gen V that this car is now a serious competitor to the Germans, which is awesome. Because, hey, as the dying breed of family folk enthusiats, the more choices of RWD manual sedans/wagons with power, the better.

I am deciding between the sedan and the Vagon. The sedan, because it is a little bigger than the E39 M5 in the rear seat area, way bigger in the trunk, and truck load more power. The Vagon, because it is an awesomely unique car like my old funky yellow S4 Avant manual.

We saw a non V wagon, and really were not terribly impressed by the rear folding seats design, the cargo divider net contraption, and the rear area in general. I thought those were really low rent. I am trying to find a Vagon in LA somewhere that I can check out to help out my decision making process. Autotrader seems to suggest that there is nothing in LA anywhere...

I am a patient man, I waited 4 months for my 996 Turbo, 3 months for the E46 M3, and 4 months for the last of the E90 M3 sedan, so I don't mind waiting to get exactly what I want. Many dealers in LA seem to be shocked that I don't mind the wait after trying to push the autotragic version on me.

It is too bad that the Caddy doesn't have a nice, bright red color for the V, because that would have been my first choice. Being a bright color car guy with yellow Turbo, GT2, S4 Avant, and now the red M3 sedan. So, it looks like I would be doing the following:

Black diamond
    Black Graphite
    Yellow caliper
    Manual
    Recaro

No, I am not getting a sunroof. Even though I am only 6'2," I have 32" inseam, which makes it very difficult to sit HPDE driving position (which is what I am used to from years of HPDE back when I was single) in a sunroofed car. The regular CTS sedan with no sunroof that I sat in had about 2 inches of headroom for me. But from reading the forum, it seems that it might work out better for me anyway, since the sunroof seems to make a lot of noises.

One of the worse thing about owning a Porsche or BMW in LA is the dearth of good dealer service department. I finally found one with BMW, but I know less than nothing about Cadillac service in LA. I am still reading through the forum, but if anyone has a tip on where to take the V for service in LA, it is greatly appreciated.

That's all for now. I am excited to wade into unfamiliar water. And since my FIL works at GM, I am sure this would improve my cred with him now that I am looking to get American and not another "fern car..."

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SoCalCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV Coupe, 1966 Chevelle

Re: Time for a CTSV

I couldn't even find a dealership in So Cal to acknowledge me. I live in Agoura" I we referred to James Quinn in Michgan and my car is being built next week with delivery early Nov. I am having it delivered to Bunnin in Oxnard cause they were the only dealer that didn't want $1000 for PDI. I work in Century City and live near Silver Star Westlake. I really havent made up my mind where I will have maintenance done. I'm 6'3" with the same inseam and have no problem with headroom with a sunroof on a coupe when I test drove one.

Mine is a Black Raven Coupe, Ebony interior, Satin Graphite wheels with yellow calipers, Recaros, sunroof, wood trim and suede wheel and knob. I'm replacing an SUV daily driver and will take turns with my 66 Chevelle for my commute.

Squirlz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond 6MT V-Wagon

Sounds like we have the same taste, except I got the roof.

It will be difficult to find a manual sitting around waiting for a test drive. They pretty much make them to order, especially the wagon. I've never driven a BMW (unless you count our MINI Coopers) but I think this car is incredible. It was quite an extravagant purchase for us but I convinced the wife that we needed to get one before GM came to their senses and quit building it or raised the price!
    junker87 and junker87 like this.

elphil is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Really Cool '11 CTS-V Wagon

junker 87, the CTS-V's Crystal Red doesn't have enough pop for you? http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...s-here-32.html

elphil is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Really Cool '11 CTS-V Wagon

junker 87, the CTS-V's Crystal Red doesn't have enough pop for you?

Double post, hit the wrong button.

i prefer the solid red like the Porsche Guards red, BMW Imola or Melbourne red, or the Audi Misano red.

For the V, it's probably going to be black or gray. Just not digging that pale metallic red that I saw in the showroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirlz View Post
    Sounds like we have the same taste, except I got the roof.

It will be difficult to find a manual sitting around waiting for a test drive. They pretty much make them to order, especially the wagon. I've never driven a BMW (unless you count our MINI Coopers) but I think this car is incredible. It was quite an extravagant purchase for us but I convinced the wife that we needed to get one before GM came to their senses and quit building it or raised the price!
    Nice! I think that's how I would spec mine if I decided to get the vagon.

Would you mind posting some interior shots in the cargo and the rear seat area? Much appreciated!

SilveradoSS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade EXT/94 STS

Quote Originally Posted by junker87 View Post
    i prefer the solid red like the Porsche Guards red, BMW Imola or Melbourne red, or the Audi Misano red.

For the V, it's probably going to be black or gray. Just not digging that pale metallic red that I saw in the showroom.
    I don't know if I would call this pale.....

Thanks for posting pictures of the red. Maybe pale is not the right word, but surely you have seen the solid reds that I mentioned from Porsche, Audi, and BMW. And this is not it. Nothing wrong with the red from Cadillac, just not what I would want on my car.

Squirlz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond 6MT V-Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by junker87 View Post
    Nice! I think that's how I would spec mine if I decided to get the vagon.

Would you mind posting some interior shots in the cargo and the rear seat area? Much appreciated!
    I will get some pictures soon.

Cub Cadet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6spd MANUAL

I would not stray away from the sunroof... you will read the negatives on here, but you will find more that have had no issues with them. I love my sunroof and would not have the car (sedan) without it.

DrVolkl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Wagon

Interesting read, as I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm leaning towards the Vagon as well, 6spd, etc etc. I think I'm going with white. I love black cars when they're clean but that seems to be an chore in itself. The new opulant blue is nice, but after seeing it in person I just don't like it enough... there just seems to be something off.... can't put my finger on it.

So anyhow, I think a white car with the black rims/yellow calipers will look pretty darn good. Tint and some blacked out grilles/badges from D3 and it'll be good to go.

e6t
    e6t is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): V2 CTSV

dont do it.

sry guys.

DrVolkl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by e6t View Post
    dont do it.

sry guys.
    Elaborate?

Well, I had ASSumed that the CTS-V would have rear power sunshade and manual side shades, which is important for us folks with kids.

BMW, Audi, and Benz have had this feature since back in the 80's, I don't know why this is not available in the CTS-V.

It is not an expensive option, all three of those German car makers charge abotu 500 bucks for this. I am really surprised since CTS-V is directly aimed at the M5, and this options has been available since the E34 M5 days (though in the U.S. only E39 and E60 M5's).

I do not want to tint my windows, because I do not want to draw attention from the police. Countless cop friends and acquaintances have told me that an aftermarket exhuast and some tint makes you stand out like nobody's business.

It's really interesting what options get to survive the accountants axe at GM and what don't. It looks like side body plastic molding, trunk liner, and the sunshades from better quality supplier got the axe. Too bad, since they would not have added that much cost to an already expensive car. As in, do you think people who are looking at this car would care that the trunk liner costs an additional 200 bucks, or they would have to pay $500 for the sunshades?

Overall though, I am excited and happy at the direction Cadillac is going with the CTSV line, and I am impressed by the large quality improvement that has been made from the time of the first gen CTS-V to the V2.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.