HUD for the CTS-V? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, HUD for the CTS-V? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS Wrong. Fathers 07 1SG AWD STS4 V8 has both auto cruise control and heads up display. ...
    jft69z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '11 V-Coupe Blk 6M, '69 Black Z-28/RS 454-5 spd, '13 Blk ZR1

Re: HUD for the CTS-V?

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    Wrong. Fathers 07 1SG AWD STS4 V8 has both auto cruise control and heads up display.
    Maybe in '07, but all the info for an '11 says no way. The "build you own" section, the spec sheets and the "compare different package" parts of the site say not available. The camera, updated platform and the rest of the package was the deal breaker at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
    I didn't realize the LaCrosse even had HUD until you mentioned it. I checked out Buick's site, and it's a far cry from the original W-body car. It definitely has some nice features, including available AWD, and pretty good pricing. I think down the road you'd be ahead too in terms of depreciation, as the STS changed little from '05 to '11, which hurts the price of the newer cars, as the main differentiator (more or less) is warranty, which is only a couple grand.
    The Buick surprised me too, who would have thought.... I guess it does prove that advertising on TV sometimes works. I don't see me buying a food processor, a set of knives, or a penis extender from the 3 AM infomercial any time soon though

SecretWeapon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Sedan, M6, Silver/Ebony

Interested for sure.

muohio is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Was something that I used heavily in the Vette. I actually installed it myself for about $350 in parts and about 2 hours of work. Never had a problem seeing the display even with the targa top off on a bright sunny day. GM missed the boat on not making it optional on the CTS.

Thrill6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 CTS-V Sedan, 07 Corvette Convertible

I got my set of service manuals today and in the next few weeks I will start to do some exploratory surgery on the V to see if there is any room under the dash to install the projector. I've have put together a parts list and depending on where the display controls are, the total parts cost will be between $700 and $800. I've got two different locations for the HUD controls under consideration. The first is on the trim panel to the right of the DIC controls and the other is on the knee bolster trim directly below it. The upper trim piece is cheaper but there isn't much room for the control. The knee bolster is probably a better location, but it costs around $100 more and will require a bit more work to modify to make it look good since it's leather wrapped.

This weekend I'm finishing a Zaino treatment, installing new Hawk Performance Ceramics, and doing a prototype install for a StealthLink so next weekend looks like the earliest I'll be able to start this project. The StealthLink is a quick connect battery maintainer connection that works with CTEK and SAE 2 wire connections like the Battery Tender. They have kits today for Corvette C5's, C6's and motorcycles. A kit specifically for the CTS sedan (and possibly coupe) should be out in the next few weeks if the prototype goes in successfully this weekend.

SecretWeapon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Sedan, M6, Silver/Ebony

Reference new infotainment system. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpdQXAgo0pk

mrl859 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 White SRX Performance/2011 Radiant Silver CTS-V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Thrill6 View Post
    to make it look good since it's leather wrapped.
    Um.......isn't that grained vinyl?

Could be, but if it's leather it will be easier to modify. I don't think vinyl is tough enough to survive intact when removed from the underlying plastic.

Been a while since I first started talking about the HUD but my house had some minor damage after being hit by falling tree limbs during a hurricane and spent a most nice weekends working on cleaning up the yard and fixing the damage, and then it got cold. This past weekend was nice and I pulled the dash apart on the V and have some good news and some bad news.

The bad news is that there is definately not enough room under the dash to fit the projector. The good news is that since that is the case, there won't be any need to tear the entire dash out to put in the HUD! On the Camaro, a first time dash removal and reinstall takes about 8 to 10 hours, and at least 4 hours for people who have done it a few times. The HUD won't fit under the dash, but it will fit under the dash visor (the round "hat" just above the instrument panel). The bad news is that a custom dash visor will need to made because it doesn't go all the way to winshield. The good news is that the custom visor will cover up the hole that I'll have to make in the dash for the projector. The bad news is that a custom dash visor will be pricey, but the good news is that it will make the install significantly easier and cheaper. The entire install, even for a novice, should take no more than two hours, and less than hour for someone who has done it before. Just as a point of reference, the dash visor and instrument panel cluster can be taken out and put back in about 15 minutes and the knee bolster takes about the same.

The HUD controls won't fit on the panel where the DIC controls are, there just isn't enough room on it. It will fit on the knee bolster, but still unsure if it might be a knee knocker. The right side of the steering wheel where the vent hole is for the HVAC would be perfect, but this piece is part of the dash and to remove it would take at least as long as it does on the Camaro. This still might be an option if I can figure out an easy way mount the switch controls in it without removing it. Unless it's really simple, I won't try it because I don't want to have to replace an expensive dash because I cut a hole in it!

The Camaro ZL1 still isn't out, so the projector probably isn't available either, but going to check. In the mean time I'm going to order some of the parts to start work on building the custom wiring harness and figuring out how and where to mount the HUD controls.

bbang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sport Wagon

I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago to the group and got one reply......

I would be in, if it works..

bb

Have made some progress on my HUD project over the last week. This weekend I ordered all of the parts I'll need for the HUD install except for the projector (bezel, HUD switch for the the Camaro and LaCrosse, projector harness, cluster visor and defroster grill, and some bolts and nuts.) The LaCrosse HUD switch and Camaro HUD switch are a little bit different so I'm going to see which one will work best.

I contacted a GM parts distributor that sells projector kits for the C6 Corvette and 5th Gen Camaro to inquire about the availability of the Camaro ZL1 projector. No surprise it's not available yet since the ZL1 hasn't even started production and won't hit dealer lots until mid March. The distributor has made the offer for me to come up and inspect one at his shop, which I will probably do in the next few weekends.

I've done quite a bit of research on the electrical diagrams on the Camaro, CTS, HUD projector, and HUD switch and have put together the requirements for a custom harness that will go inline into an existing connection under the dash. With the custom harness there won't be any need to splice into any wires and will make the install much easier and quicker. The connection is right under the steering wheel with easy access to the projector and switch locations. I have contacted a local company that makes custom wiring harnesses about making them for me. Not sure of the price, but it will be worth it. They will source all the connectors and terminals and test each harness to ensure that every pin is terminated correctly. The pigtails and service connectors (connectors with terminated wires) for the projector and HUD switch cost more than $300 list (around $200 buying online) from GM, so a custom harness is going to be cheaper anyway. I had to track down the schematics for Camaro HUD and information on the connectors. The hard part was finding the right connection under the dash that has all the right circuits and getting the correct connector part numbers for the connectors. Some of the information in the Service Manuals was incorrect or not available.

I should get the parts in a week, and then I'll start working on how to mount the HUD Switch and getting a prototype harness made. Also working on finding a local CTS owner who wants a HUD and see if I can use that as a prototype vehicle. A CTS can use the existing Camaro HUD projector without giving up any features.
    Fireverm, Fireverm, DxxB and 1 others like this.

I went ahead and ordered the existing Camaro HUD because the ZL1 HUD isn't going to be available for a few months and I couldn't really do anything without one. I now have a HUD in the dash.

IMAG0182a.jpg

To get this far I had to remove the dash cover which took about 2.5 hours. Pretty much everything in the dash had to come out, center console, NAV screen, glove box, etc as well as the steering wheel and both stalks. Not very difficult and can probably do it in about an hour and half next time.

Under the dash cover is the metal dash structure which is made of pot metal. I removed one of the metal brackets that is an attachment point for the dash pad with a dremel. I took off the upper leather dash cover from the dash pad and then cut a big hole in the dash cover with the dremel.

Still waiting on my custom wiring harness. The company I have working on it has run into quite a few issues and should have a cable soon. Before I start moding the dash pad and IP cover and put everything back together I need to check the alignment of the HUD and I need the cable to power it up. The HUD is now in the way of both the driver air duct and driver window defroster duct. I will use a piece of flexible plastic duct to replace one factory one (there is plenty of room for it to go under the HUD), but no way to rerun the defroster duct. I will probably connect this to front air duct instead.

Have also been working on getting the HUD switch installed. It won't fit anywhere on the dash, but I found a great alternate location on the steering column schroud. I had a template made so I can route out the holes for the switch and knob. A friend with a wood working shop is making a bracket to hold the schroud so I route out the holes.

Here are a few pics I took.

IMAG0177a.jpg
    IMAG0178a.jpg
    IMAG0181a.jpg

bbang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sport Wagon

I am in. asked this question about 3 months ago.

SPEED74V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

I think I would be in also - would just have to find someone to install it. Can't wait to see how it looks!

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS
    I'm in as I would luv to have this option.

Swat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

Update?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.