HUD for the CTS-V? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, HUD for the CTS-V? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Put me in the camp of liking the HUD's. My C5 vette had it as part of the package and ...
    stabie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V wagon

Re: HUD for the CTS-V?

Put me in the camp of liking the HUD's. My C5 vette had it as part of the package and I was so-so on the idea. After having it, you just get used to adjusting your eye focus distance and not having to look down. In my feedback to GM, I suggested making the HUD a dot matrix so other stuff like directions for NAV could be displayed. The C5 UD was a fixed format, so only a fixed set of data could be displayed. I was pretty happy to see it changed for my C6 vette to do that. I don't know why they opted not to put the HUD in the CTS. It is available in the STS & XLR(cough vette), so its not like they did not put them in caddy's. Maybe they thought the pop-up screen removed the need. Dunno. I suspect it may be challenging to retrofit a HUD. The mechanism looks to have a fair amount of depth. I doubt there is that much open space that you could grab under the dash. The display is also very sensitive to the angles involved to get the reflection visible. Just move your head a little and notice it all but disappears from the windshield. So if you do try to install, make sure your going to be able to see it.

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe on Order, 2013 Escalade ESV,

Hopefully GM will put it in the next gen V.

N3716E is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Gimmick? Yeah, that's what the fighter pilots say about it too (yeah right)! I would be very interested.

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by jft69z View Post
    It's actually part of the reason why I got the Buick instead of a new STS at the time.
    The STS has always had HUD available since it debuted in 2005. The STS also has a trick 4-color HUD vs the blue only of the 'vette and most other GM cars.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    WTF it's a decade's old technology.
    It is older than that! GM put the first HUD in a production car for the 1988 model year:

They really pioneered its use in early Pontiacs and some Oldsmobiles. Then they used it to display nightvision in the early 2000's Deville. I don't understand why they haven't adapted it to cars like the CTS yet, it is impressive tech and a very useful feature.

I think retrofitting it would be hard, because you need to have buttons to control the brightness and the height of the display. On those other cars, you swap a trim piece for the piece with the buttons. On a CTS, you'd have to fab something up, and it probably wouldn't look very factory.

jft69z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '11 V-Coupe Blk 6M, '69 Black Z-28/RS 454-5 spd, '13 Blk ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
    The STS has always had HUD available since it debuted in 2005. The STS also has a trick 4-color HUD vs the blue only of the 'vette and most other GM cars.

Except it wasn't available in any combination or package with the AWD (all wheel drive).

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Don't forget the reason 5th gen Camaro guys are able to add it so easily is that the logistics for adding it were already in place, even on the 2010. All that's needed is adding the hardware and turning it on in the BCM.
    And yes, there is a different windshield for HUD equipped Camaros. The Camaro guys have reported it's a little difficult to see the HUD during the daytime with the standard windshield. The HUD specific windshield focuses the reflection better, supposedly.

Thrill6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 CTS-V Sedan, 07 Corvette Convertible

The controls will be the tricky part, but not impossible. The Corvette HUD has a whole bank of buttons on the left side of the instrument panel that would never work in a CTS. The Camaro HUD (which is the one I'm use) has a much simpler controls. Just a single rocker switch to control the up/down position, and a single round control (like a volume control) to adjust brightness which has a button in the center to control which "page" is displayed. I'm sure with a bit of imagination these can be integrated into the CTS dash and look factory/professional. It might even be possible to use the STS HUD control.

As soon as the Service Manual I ordered arrives, I'm gonna pull the dash apart on my V to see if there is any room under there at all to install the HUD projector. After doing some quick measurements, I've determined that the opening needed for the HUD in the dash is available. I was worried that "dome" on the instrument panel would be in the way but it's not. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

My hat is off to you for undertaking that kind of project. I hope it works. Sounds like a nightmare though if something goes wrong.

JetFuelOnly is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

A HUD would really help complete this car. I've got one in my GTP and I tell you it's effortless to know your speed or even radio station without taking your eyes off the road. Not only is it cool, it really is much safer. There's a reason the most high tech business jets and fighter jets use them. Combined with steering wheel controls it allows your peripheral vision to keep an eye on the road while changing radio stations or checking your speed. It also helps you know when you're doing 140 when your speedo only goes to 115.

Here's a pic of just the speed, but the vette and BMW HUDs have come a long way from a basic LED readout!

24118_568048863598_23707111_33064508_2026690_n.jpg

Jeffrey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I love the HUD and oil temp. display in my Vette. Wish the V had both.

Except it wasn't available in any combination or package with the AWD (all wheel drive).
    I don't mean to be difficult, but according to the ordering guide, the AWD and RWD cars have the same packaging for 2011. HUD was part of the "Driver Awareness Package", which also required the "V6 Premium Luxury Collection".

To the OP, it sounds like an interesting undertaking. HUD would be a great addition, it would be awesome if you get it working.

FYI, some pictures of the four-color HUD that the STS used. I think it's pretty slick vs the blue only:

jft69z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '11 V-Coupe Blk 6M, '69 Black Z-28/RS 454-5 spd, '13 Blk ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
    I don't mean to be difficult, but according to the ordering guide, the AWD and RWD cars have the same packaging for 2011. HUD was part of the "Driver Awareness Package", which also required the "V6 Premium Luxury Collection".
    You're not being difficult at all. At the time (about this time last year) when I was looking I was pretty sure I didn't see that available in the AWD version, just the rear wheel, especially anywhere locally. The LaCrosse also had the side collision avoidance, NAV, rear camera (with moving grid lines), oversize sunroof, heated & ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, Harmon Kardon 384 watt sound system with hard drive (much better than the Bose in our V's I think), adaptive HID headlamps that move like the V, EZ key passive entry/push button keyless start, front & rear airbags all over the place, 120volt outlet, etc. The camera and a few other options for sure weren't available on the STS. All in all, I liked the Buick much better than the STS as far as interior design, comfort, ride quality, and available options. Price was not a deciding factor at all.

I really had my heart set on the STS and was actually on the laptop looking for them for the 20th time on a Sunday night when the Buick commercial came on the TV. Just for the hell of it I went to the website, started comparing the cars at length and ended up finding a fully loaded LaCrosse exactly as I would have ordered it on the dealer lot about 1/2 mile from my house. Drove it at 9 AM monday & told them to have it ready by the afternoon for pickup. I haven't regretted that decision one bit, never owned a Buick before but they built a pretty nice car. It certainly does not fit in the "your grandfathers Buick" category any more.

Update: I just went to the Caddy site & the V6 premium package with HUD was only available on the rear wheel drive build. I tried to build the STS both ways & not available in AWD, just the "standard" & "luxury" package. Living in western NY with our winter weather, I wanted to try AWD for a daily driver.

stabie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V wagon

Me likes the 4 color HUD. Wish my vette had that instead of mono.

I didn't realize the LaCrosse even had HUD until you mentioned it. I checked out Buick's site, and it's a far cry from the original W-body car. It definitely has some nice features, including available AWD, and pretty good pricing. I think down the road you'd be ahead too in terms of depreciation, as the STS changed little from '05 to '11, which hurts the price of the newer cars, as the main differentiator (more or less) is warranty, which is only a couple grand.

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4

Wrong. Fathers 07 1SG AWD STS4 V8 has both auto cruise control and heads up display.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.