Rear differential replaced under warranty
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Rear differential replaced under warranty in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Thought I'd share my rear differential story. Bought a 2009 CTS-V sedan a couple months ago with 13000 miles on ...
    calherc1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

Rear differential replaced under warranty

Thought I'd share my rear differential story. Bought a 2009 CTS-V sedan a couple months ago with 13000 miles on it. Noticed a slight clunk in the rear end when cold. Took it to the dealer and they did a full differential service with additive under warranty. No more clunk. Driving the other day and noticed a slight whine while cruising. I was able to get it to go in and out with light throttle. I didn't think much of it, but decided to take it for a drive the next day on the freeway. Rear end was whinning like my 4 year old daughter. Long story short, I brought it to the dealer and they drove it around the block. Ordered me a completely new differential assy. Installed the next day, no more whine. Service writer told me it would have been about $6k if I did not have the warranty. Anybody else have a similar story. Car only has 14000 miles on it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

Re: Rear differential replaced under warranty

How many miles between getting the tsb done and it whining?

calherc1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

Quote Originally Posted by smackdownCTSV View Post
    How many miles between getting the tsb done and it whining?
    Only a few hundred miles.

SPEED74V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

I took mine in for a rear gear oil change and it wasn't whining. After they changed the gear oil, the whining started. I took it back and they replaced the gear oil under the tsb. Still whined. I took it back and they replaced the whole rear end and no whine anymore. I have taken it to the road track since and had the rear gear oil replaced with Amsoil and additive since and still no whine. I had about 12,000 miles when they replaced the rear end.

lilred is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V, 2012 CTS-V

My brand new 2012 has this whine when I coast from 50-45 mph. I am somewhat disappointed as I expected they would have these issues nailed down in the V2. I am going to wait and see how it does and probably have them check it out at the first maintenance interval.

dljames9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by lilred View Post
    My brand new 2012 has this whine when I coast from 50-45 mph. I am somewhat disappointed as I expected they would have these issues nailed down in the V2. I am going to wait and see how it does and probably have them check it out at the first maintenance interval.
    I have a 2012 also with 13000 miles. I had the whine you are describing. Took it to the dealer, and had the tech ride along to listen. He quickly determined the noise was the rear differential. They overnight end a new one and installed it today. Don't wait, get it fixed now.

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

That was a couple years ago.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.