Has anyone corrected the Tricoat Black diamond yet?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By PGA2B
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Has anyone corrected the Tricoat Black diamond yet? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I'm starting to think that Cadillac may have acutally constructed the clear out of diamonds on this thing. There are ...
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Has anyone corrected the Tricoat Black diamond yet?

I'm starting to think that Cadillac may have acutally constructed the clear out of diamonds on this thing. There are micro scratches (invisible unless under halogen light and they pass the finger-nail test) all over the car, and after 3 passes on a PC with some adams severe swirl, followed by another 2-3 passes with some 4" pads on a drill in the same area, *and* about the same number of passes with some of their low-cut swirl remover, these things don't even have a dent in them (except for 1 that I've been working extra on )

has anyone done a professional correction on our paint yet? Is it *really* this hard? If it is.. I'm scratching my head as to what could have put them there.. Unless it was the dealership's automatic car-wash.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Speedtrapped is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11' cts-v wagon

Re: Has anyone corrected the Tricoat Black diamond yet?

funny u mention this...I have a black raven vagon that had minor accident in rear quarter panel. When I picked car up from body shop, I pulled up to watch an attendent rubbing my car down with a dirty towel and some water!.....swirls everywhere... I flip and they take car back to "detail", well wax only hides so much...I plan on using my orbital w/ Mezerna super intensive polish, and finsih with einszatt paint polish...hope its not as hard as you say....

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Use a Surbuf pad on it if you are going to use the PC or go with a Rotary. The issue is that Cadillac puts ceramic in the clear like what is on the Corvette and it is EXTREMELY HARD.

Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    Use a Surbuf pad on it if you are going to use the PC or go with a Rotary. The issue is that Cadillac puts ceramic in the clear like what is on the Corvette and it is EXTREMELY HARD.
    This makes sense now..what's crazy is that it chips so freaking easily though.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Compared to my old 300, this paint chips if you breathe on it. Pretty disappointed about that but if that's the only issue I ever have, chip away.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    This makes sense now..what's crazy is that it chips so freaking easily though.
    You would think it would stand up more and be more resilient to scratching, swirls, and chipping but that is just not the case.

The Surbuf pads are AWESOME. It will allow you to do it with your PC. You will still have to use a lot of force but can be done. I was worn out when I did mine. The previous owner was 65 (Funny story- He got it sideways twice and his wife made him trade it for a DTS) and did not take care of her at all. I spent 27 hours buffing and polishing. Here was a shot after I was done. The photo really does not do her justice. She looked wet all the time. I just bought a Rotary to do it again before winter sets in.

M5eater and M5eater like this.

Thanks, going to look into the pads, and might see about using the flex polisher from one of my friends for the weekend in the mean time.

How much force did you have to use? I was using light-moderate if I'm honest, as I didn't want to ruin anything on my first try with the PC.

and the loaner raven CTS4 I had was raven also, so I can most definitally appreciate that picture. A flat black car would probably drive me to insanity.

You would think it would stand up more and be more resilient to scratching, swirls, and chipping but that is just not the case.
    I know! that's why I was like ....''wtf...these have to be from light abrasions''

I used everything I had. I used enough not to stop the pad but just on the edge. I ended up borrowing a friends DeWalt 849 and made pretty quick work of the rest. The side I posted was the side I used the PC on.

Kluch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 V

God, I love that STS-V! Nice car. My V-coupe is back raven. I get her "mini-detailed" every 2 weeks at a local shop that treats me well. Costs me $40 bucks a pop. Not perfect, but its all done by hand and saves me alot of aggravation. I can live with some surface swirls and tiny chips here and there.

DrMongo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe, Black Diamond, Blk/Saffron Recaro's

Guys, Maybe mine is a wednesday car but I cannot see one flaw in the paint. I have "hi intensity " flourescents in the garage, lots of foot-candles!, can't see a thing under fl or halogen. Just did a full Zaino tx (1-coat Z5, 3-coats Z3, 1-coat Nuba) there is not a single flaw in this paint. NOW, that said, mine is one of the first ;12's off the line so maybe they have changed some of their process. Just sayin.

They did change the paint process to reduce orange peel actually. I would assume though, yours has no defects as it's brand new.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.