Any update on wheel clicking?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Any update on wheel clicking? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; It's about time to bring up this issue again: are there any updates on a fix for the wheel clicking ...
    King335i is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 Thunder Gray CTS-V Coupe

Any update on wheel clicking?

It's about time to bring up this issue again: are there any updates on a fix for the wheel clicking from GM?

The last thing I heard straight from GM corporate is that they spoke with the engineers that worked on the car and that they are aware of the issue, but have no fix for it. This makes the V more disappointing day-by-day. Has anyone heard any news on the subject?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cub Cadet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6spd MANUAL

re: Any update on wheel clicking?

Why not just remove the wheels, clean the mating surfaces, apply never-sieze, re-mount wheels, and torque the lug nuts properly? This fixes the issue.

mannyz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS(Sold) Black 09 V

I dont know how you can live with it. I couldnt stand hearing that click. I fixed it myself, never came back.

JOEYCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

^^^^ What they said.

Mine has been clicking lately but I've just been too lazy to do it. I should have time within the next few days.

Re: Any update on wheel clicking?

I wouldn't be able to do that myself, no matter how simple it really is, because I don't have the necessary tools. I know. But the wheels have been taken off, all mating surfaces cleaned, and then torqued properly about 4 times now (3 times at the dealership, and once by my buddy who owns a private BMW shop), but the clicking always returns. The only reason I haven't tried the never-seize route is because all the people who would help me do this don't want to put anti-seize anywhere near the mating surfaces, all have stated that they feel this is dangerous and just asking for trouble, especially at high speeds. Could you detail how exactly you applied it? Also, any particular brand or type of anti-seize you would recommend?

I can't live with it mannyz! lol

Someone posted a fix they did themselves with some gasket material cut out to the shape of the hub, wasn't that you?

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

If the lug nuts are torqued properly, there won't be any danger at all. Secondly, go to an automotive parts store and look for anti-seize. It will probably come in a small tube, be a silver-looking paste, and only cost a few dollars. You WILL need an accurate torque wrench good to 160 ft/lbs though.

e6t
    e6t is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): V2 CTSV

i was told by the chief cts engineer that the fix is two piece brembos and that they would be shipping sometime in the near future.

that was 4 months ago, i believe.

Does it bother anybody else that Cadillac owners have to resort to applying anti-seize and home made shims made out of gasket material in their own garages to fix this problem? I cannot believe GM has still not addressed this issue. How can the GM engineers not have a fix for this? As there certainly does exist a class of affected owners on here, not to mention the countless owners that are not members of this forum, this is a potential class-action lawsuit for GM. All I want is a damn fix so I can love my car again, I am literally days away from buying a 2012 GT-R over this issue, which is stupid because I would love to keep the V coupe but I can't live with a $70,000+ luxury sports car that sounds like cheap crap. It is literally embarassing.

MReiland is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 13 Volt, 2008 Outlook XR (05 CTS Blk/Blk Traded-in)

I believe I have heard they are trying a host of different fixes, the problem doesn't appear to affect all cars, and I think they want to be sure of this fix in the long term as the redesign on the front wheels didn't cure the problem. They have not forgotten about this problem. One known fix is the 2 piece rotors which are available, but that isn't the answer that you all are looking for. If I hear anything I will try and get more info.

Dale Pittman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

I had the clicking show up recently on 3 of the wheels. The fix was to just tighten the lug nuts a bit and the clicking went away. Might have to go above the recommended torque amount a bit, but it worked for me just fine. No more clicking.

I would recommend trying this before taking the wheels off and doing any other kind of more extensive fix.

Kluch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 V

Quote Originally Posted by MReiland View Post
    I believe I have heard they are trying a host of different fixes, the problem doesn't appear to affect all cars, and I think they want to be sure of this fix in the long term as the redesign on the front wheels didn't cure the problem. They have not forgotten about this problem. One known fix is the 2 piece rotors which are available, but that isn't the answer that you all are looking for. If I hear anything I will try and get more info.
    Can you please explain how the 2-piece rotors aren't the answer we are all looking for? Sounds like a decent solution to me. I just had the TSB done last week and guess what? My front wheels just started to click again. I am going to ask about these rotors when i take my car back next week unless there is a reason not to?

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

Newbie Questions...

1) What causes the clicking?
    2) What does TSB stand for that I keep reading about...

jft69z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '11 V-Coupe Blk 6M, '69 Black Z-28/RS 454-5 spd, '13 Blk ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
    Newbie Questions...

1) What causes the clicking?
    2) What does TSB stand for that I keep reading about...
    1) They don't know..
    2)Technical Service Bulletin - Issued by GM to address a variety of vehicle/customer issues and problems to help the dealer techs & shops repair the problem. Most of the time it has pretty detailed procedures, part numbers & labor times to correct the specific problem.

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

Ah, thank you...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.