Is there no free NAV update like before?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Is there no free NAV update like before? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; What is the policy for updating NAV these days? I used to get one free update with my old Caddys. ...
    Jpjr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Is there no free NAV update like before?

What is the policy for updating NAV these days? I used to get one free update with my old Caddys. Anyone know, I did a search and couldn't find a specific answer.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EVIL_C5 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade, 2010 CTS-V Sedan

Re: Is there no free NAV update like before?

Short answer is no. I emailed GM nav disk and said the both of my 2010 cadillac's have been out of date since day 1 trying to send me down roads that don't exist or not find addresses that have been around for years and the response back was that they release new maps every year with 20 percent more info and gave me the link to buy it. I answered back with "I have 2 new cadillac's, 1 that is 7 months old and 1 that is 6 weeks old with a combined price of over 140k and you are telling me to buy this?"

The response back was "you don't have to buy it if don't want to pay for it"

Nice customer service. Needless to say that email got sent to cadillac customer relations. I have bought 4 new cadillac's since 2004 and 11 new GM cars and trucks total in the last decade. Probably not the way to get me to buy number 12.

thatcoder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

the cost of the discs is a fraction of the cost of the car. IMO, if u want the updates, get the selling dealer to cover the cost before buying the vehicle. otherwise, if it a requirement to have the latest and greatest up to date information, buy the disc.

RogersV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V, Crystal Red, Auto

Thumbs down Re: Is there no free NAV update like before?

Quote Originally Posted by EVIL_C5 View Post
    have been out of date since day 1 trying to send me down roads that don't exist or not find addresses that have been around for years.
    That's nothing new, my 2009 does the exact same thing. It seems Cadillac is good at sticking outdated NAV Disks in their new cars and then wanting $200.00 for the upgrade that are probably not much better than what we have. My son has a 2008 Escalade, same problem, also from day one. Just for comparison, my 2006 Chrysler Product with NAV, that I traded, never gave me any bad info.

haterinc is offline Cadillac Owner

dealerships offer a free 2011 Nav disc in with all test drives of a new CTS with nav! they put them right in the dash for you... LOL

before some moral debate starts on here about "doing the right thing" please refrain... half of the time it seems comments and jokes on here need a disclaimer... in reality I've read if you get the right person at the GM Nav place you can talk them into a free one, but I have yet to find that person with a couple of calls placed and I currently need 4 of them lol. I saw another post of Jesse looking for an '11 disc to find the differences and maybe create his own for us? not sure if that was the road he was heading down but that would be great...

It's still penny wise and pound foolish in my opinion to not give an update in the 1st 12 months.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

The bigger problem is that there is a problem with the new nav discs that is well documented the the CTS forum. It requires a visit to the dealer to fix. While it was initially stated that only a certain number of discs was affected, problems continue to pop up on the forum.

So not only do you pay for the disc, you get aggravation, at least with the 2011 nav disk.

Pertinent link:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-nav-disc.html

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

^in short, updating to the 2011 map causes the screen to pop up and go blank when you put it in reverse (part of the backup camera option), and when you come out of reverse, the screen stays black for sometime. The fix is after you install the updated 2011 map, you have to restore the old 2010 firmware. I am not sure where the guys that did it got the old firmware, as the car does not come with any kind of disc. Or, if you are handy, you could install a backup camera to go with your new maps and firmware There is a writeup on how to do it
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ra-2008-a.html

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Well, I'll just live with my old map then...............

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

The stuff im doing is going to fix all the funny stuff. Im making a hybrid fix for everything including upgrading the maps and modifiying the firmware to be one good final update without having to go to the dealer to fix anything.

Also it will be turning on inputs on set pins on the rear of the radio to allow good stuff.. Hopefully all will be good once i get a disc from someone that ships out today i think. . "thanks again for that!"

Who knows, Someone using my upgraded usb files might even find my face pop up here and there. lol jk

JOEYCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

Jesse, I assume we would be able to change the NAV while driving feature without installing a wiring harness?

I got a call from Cadillac customer service last night, they are sending me a update for my escalade. they said i could get 1 but not both....figured my wife probably needs better maps anyway, and the V can get uber custom H@ck3d updates...

Jpjr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Ok... Jesse are you selling the equivalent of a lockpick or actually selling an updated map disk or both?

I'm trying to understand if there is any alternative to spending the money and buying the update disc from GM. It sounds like even if I do that there might be problems?

I was following the rear back-up camera thread for months but it seems like the concept died out.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
    Who knows, Someone using my upgraded usb files might even find my face pop up here and there. lol jk
    I think I might buy a V just for that

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

What i will be doing is allowing for a custom code running the latest files of everything including maps, with the ability for me to make changes how i want to make things work better, and also have inputs and outputs for more info and things. once i get the last puzzle piece, ill let you guys know all the details.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.