Leaking Sunroof
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Leaking Sunroof in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I contributed to Keepupp's post about his sunroof leaking by including my new V sedan as another one that leaked. ...
    03Z06Vette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Escalade ESV Mocha/Ebony, 2011 CTS-V EG/EB

Leaking Sunroof

I contributed to Keepupp's post about his sunroof leaking by including my new V sedan as another one that leaked.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ing-water.html

Well, yesterday my dealership initially told me I need a new sunroof, but today they say that what caused the leaking was a loose drain hose. They are repairing and making it better by putting new clamps on the hose and ordering me a new headliner.

Caderac posted in another thread that you have to remove the windshield to change the headliner. My service manager says NO, you just have to take out the front passenger seat. Otherwise, I would have told them to leave the headliner in.

Hopefully this repair will work and I won't have to replace the sunroof.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mystical_Ice is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V

Re: Leaking Sunroof

Yeah had the same thing, just got my car back from the dealer yesterday... there are apparently two drain hoses that sometimes come loose or (occasionally) get stopped up. In my case, when that happened, water started running into the car everywhere BUT through the sunroof (it started coming in through the sunroof buttons above the console, and through the back of the car - soaking the back floorboard).

They had the car up with fans blowing into the back seat to dry it out for 3 days. Still got a 'musty' smell, and i told them if that doesn't go away in the next week or so, i'm going to want new carpet. definitely not driving a car i've owned for under 2 weeks that's already had flood damage

I was speaking to two other Cadillac owners at the dealership. One owned a CTS, the other a STS. Both said they'd had problems with the sunroof leaking, and both times it was related not to the seal, but to the drain hose.

wfo
    wfo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Tuner car fanatic..there all good!

If these are cars under warranty shouldn't they be taken in for remedy?

...they are.

jeff342 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V Sedan

My 2011 sedan had the leak also just got it back today, it was at dealer for a week. The problem was at the back of the sunroof frame where there is a plastic to metal corner that also has the drain nipple. The "putty" used was not sealing at the metal to plastic joint according to the tech that repaired it. They have ordered a new headliner which should be here in two weeks. The advisor told me that they plan to remove the rear window to put the new headliner in. I have heard front windshield, and now just remove passenger seat to get the headliner in. I wish I knew the correct way it has to be done. I would rather they not remove any glass.

tbss08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!!!!

My headliner was replaced when the dealer did the roof repairs. The windshield and rear window did not get removed from the car. The front seats were removed and the headliner installed that way.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Real shame that this leaking issue has become so commonplace. Nothing makes you feel worse about your car's quality than outside elements inside your car. Hopefully the fixes will work permanently.

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Many good reasons for not ordering CTSs with sun roofs. They add cost and weight, and frequently leak.

RapidRob is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

^^^^ - Really? First incident I heard about was on this forum, this year, (and maybe late last year). I think they had a bad run, (production issues ..), which, hopefully, is already corrected.

Rob

That's not an excuse for not ordering a sunroof.

That's like saying you shouldn't order navigation, because some people have wrecks from not paying attention to the road.

Caddy Wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 11 CTS-V Wagon 6MT Crystal Red all options NO sunroof

Sunroofs are notorious for leaking on many different models and brands of vehicles. You would think GM would have learned how to manufacture a better system of sealing and drainage by now.

FWIW that's why I shy away from cars with sunroofs, and ordered every option except the sunroof on my Vagon.

Never had a problem with a single factory SUNROOF on well over 35 cars, but the Ultraview is a different animal entirely. My understanding was that the leaking cars (as well as the one with shattered glass) were Ultraviews.

Caddy Wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 11 CTS-V Wagon 6MT Crystal Red all options NO sunroof

Sunroof, Ultraview, Moonroof,, whatever you want to call it. They are all holes in the roof that have to be sealed up somehow. I've had several vehicles with "holes in the roof" that leaked.

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy Wagon View Post
    Sunroof, Ultraview, Moonroof,, whatever you want to call it. They are all holes in the roof that have to be sealed up somehow. I've had several vehicles with "holes in the roof" that leaked.
    Hmm, I guess if my luck with sunroofs were that bad I wouldn't want them either. Then again, I'd probably still take the risk just to not have to look at a stark, bare roof panel. It's incredibly unattractive to me. I suppose because I associate it with a more entry level vehicle, but appearance is an individual preference anyway.

That being said, the Ultraview is more prone to problems because it goes beyond just being a hole in the roof, to actually becoming part OF the roof. Flex, stress, and installation that isn't 100 percent dead on seems to have unfortunate consequences. It's important to make the designation, since someone searching could see a thread like this later and assume the regular sunroofs are condemned too.

Too bad, because those glass roof panels are beautiful.

03Z06Vette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Escalade ESV Mocha/Ebony, 2011 CTS-V EG/EB

Just got her back from the dealer. They are ordering a new headliner, even though mine isn't stained. The service manager said that it still could stain, plus they are having to replace the C pillar trim piece as it is now warped. Said it could take 10 days or more (business I assume) for the headliner to get here.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.