V1 hardwire install in 2011 CTS-V Coupe
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, V1 hardwire install in 2011 CTS-V Coupe in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; This past weekend I installed a radar detector in my new CTS-V Coupe. This is a very simple install for ...
    majdewey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Coupe

V1 hardwire install in 2011 CTS-V Coupe

This past weekend I installed a radar detector in my new CTS-V Coupe. This is a very simple install for any radar detector and mount. I used V1 detector and BlendMount.
    First, removed the cover that hides the OnStar wiring harness. This is where I will run the detector connection cable from the upper control panel.
    Next, lower the upper control panel using a plastic pry tool to allow enough space for fingers. Pull down. It is tight so you have to pull hard.
    Remove the connector from the driver side map light. It has 3 wires. Ground with key on and door closed (gray), Ground with key off (black) and hot or positive (orange). I used gray because it times out with key off. So if I forget to turn my detector off it will time out and save my battery. I used a pac man wire stripper to pull back insulation to bare the wire. Do not cut the wire. This is where I solder the detector connection cable that was pulled under the head liner. Use a good quality Rj-11, like the one that comes with the V1. If you have a different type connector that came with your detector use it. Make sure to tape the connections after soldering and pull the original cover back down. Push the control panel back in place and you are done. This is how mine looks. Email if you have questions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Gordy Petrovski is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: V1 hardwire install in 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Nice & clean,love it!!

hman123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V coupe

I did exact install as you show on my 2011 coupe and had battery fail next day and after dealership replaced it had battery saver system message come on. Any thoughts as to connection or just coincidence.

Tom_E is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE - Picked up a 2014 C7

Just curious, is there an advantage wiring to this panel instead of the small connector on the mirror under the cover you show removed? I install mine using that plug with the invisicord and simply plugged into the connector. Guessing no difference but thought I would ask.

Tom

BOYCHIKS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 STS-V-Traded // '06 XLR-V // '11 V Coupe

Very nice, and very clean.

Looks great and nice write up!

JOEYCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

Is that where Jesse's been hiding? I can see his avatar!

Great write up, pics and install. The only thing I don't like is that it's really not hidden. What do you do if you get pulled over and it's illegal in your state?

Quote Originally Posted by hman123 View Post
    I did exact install as you show on my 2011 coupe and had battery fail next day and after dealership replaced it had battery saver system message come on. Any thoughts as to connection or just coincidence.
    I have no problems at all. Are you sure there is no short on the wiring you did?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_E View Post
    Just curious, is there an advantage wiring to this panel instead of the small connector on the mirror under the cover you show removed? I install mine using that plug with the invisicord and simply plugged into the connector. Guessing no difference but thought I would ask.

Tom
    I couldn't find 12 volts off the OnStar connector. What wire is 12v. Using this connector would save time for sure. Also I'm sure invisicord works great, but being old school I solder all my connections. I've done 100+ installs on my friends Corvettes and Cadillacs, other cars too and always solder.

Dewey

Tom_E is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE - Picked up a 2014 C7

Quote Originally Posted by majdewey View Post
    I couldn't find 12 volts off the OnStar connector. What wire is 12v. Using this connector would save time for sure. Also I'm sure invisicord works great, but being old school I solder all my connections. I've done 100+ installs on my friends Corvettes and Cadillacs, other cars too and always solder.

Dewey
    Here are a couple of photos (sorry about the quality of my photos) of my installation on my Coupe. The view is from the passenger seat after I took the mirror off the windshield. The red goes in the second hole and the green the first on the driver side.

Tom

hamta is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe, Recaros (Ebony/Ebony), Auto, Wood, Sunroof

That's a beautiful install. But I did both my ZO6 and CTS-V Coupe with Invisicord and it took me less than 5 minutes each and there is no way those pins are coming out. That said, there's nothing like "old school", I just didn't have the time, patience, talent or tools to do it your way.

creed2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

Thanks for the write up and the pictures. I see you were able to use the Inviscord on your install I havent had any luck on the install as of yet. Could you be a little more specfic on what plug/connection location or colored wires used to plug in the Inviscord to get power to your V1? On an earlier post someone said they inserted the Inviscord ( Red ) plug into the pink mirror wire in the and the Inviscord ( green) into the black mirror wire. I couldnt get the Inviscord prongs to fit into the same holes with the mirror wires, the prongs are too big. Your picture and write up appears to be different as your wires appear to be plugged into empty holes with no wires in them but supply power and ground. Another picture or any help you could offer in clearing this up and helping with the install would great........ Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by creed2 View Post
    Thanks for the write up and the pictures. I see you were able to use the Inviscord on your install I havent had any luck on the install as of yet. Could you be a little more specfic on what plug/connection location or colored wires used to plug in the Inviscord to get power to your V1? On an earlier post someone said they inserted the Inviscord ( Red ) plug into the pink mirror wire in the and the Inviscord ( green) into the black mirror wire. I couldnt get the Inviscord prongs to fit into the same holes with the mirror wires, the prongs are too big. Your picture and write up appears to be different as your wires appear to be plugged into empty holes with no wires in them but supply power and ground. Another picture or any help you could offer in clearing this up and helping with the install would great........ Thanks
    I didn't use the inviscord in my install. The pictures of the inviscord were from Tom and he was just showing us another way. He shows the connections points but I'm not sure of the wire color.

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Nice writeup.

Paul

getbit is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

I just installed my Valentine One using the Invisicord and it worked easily.
    I used some needle nose pliers for grip and pushed the prongs in with little resistance and are seated snug and secure.

Connections are made in the top row of wire.
    Invisicord Green to Black/white mirror wire (end of row)
    Invisicord Red to Red mirror wire (second to last wire, next to the green - which is located at the opposite end of the same row as the black/white wire)

It's a bit like the old saying..."it's not the size of the prong, it is how you use it."
    Or maybe more like the old Meineke muffler commercial..."We'll make it fit..."

UWISHU1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None yet!
    Very clean install, I like.

Captivating via tapatalk

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.