Will GPS work in Europe?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Will GPS work in Europe? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Sup guys...Well I will be leaving the country and headed off to England in about 3 weeks. There's a couple ...
    mannyz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS(Sold) Black 09 V

Will GPS work in Europe?

Sup guys...Well I will be leaving the country and headed off to England in about 3 weeks. There's a couple of things that need to be done to my car such as headlight realignments due to reversed driving patterns. Does anyone know if my GPS will work over there? Do I need to purchase the CD for new maps or will I be fine? Another thing...if any fellow V owners on the forums wants to take a trip up to London...you have a place to stay with me for free (I am about an hour away)...I should be settled in by late March/April.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chrswk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Sedan

Re: Will GPS work in Europe?

My navigation system does not work, and I imported my car from the US to Europe. And by "not work" I mean it crashes as soon as I try to start it. I haven't really looked into it, since I use my phone with a car dock as a navigation device.

I have already emailed cadillac requesting some input whether I need a nav update or something.. Hopefully a quick update will be a fix. I'll let you know what their response is.

jrcmlc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

Just for curiosity's sake I'd like to know the answer to this. Seems like a EU map being loaded would fix it...but who knows.

Very generous of you posting that offer for people to stay with you, very seldom seen generosity really.

Joe

There's nothing I hate more than wasting money on a hotel just to make it thru the night...Especially in that region... I'm sure lodging is pretty spendy. Sometime
    In the fall I look forward to making the drive down to the ring and get some laps in.

RapidRob is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

Just took a look at the web site where you can order updated NAV discs, and they show a Euro edition for 2010 and above, $199.00. But, for a 2009 V2, they don't show a Euro update at all. There is one for Japan, but none for Europe - go figure ... ? If I were you I'd give them a call, and ask if they have Euro upgrade discs for a 2009 V.

Rob

Dale Pittman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by mannyz View Post
    There's nothing I hate more than wasting money on a hotel just to make it thru the night...Especially in that region... I'm sure lodging is pretty spendy. Sometime
    In the fall I look forward to making the drive down to the ring and get some laps in.
    Last fall when traveling through EU I stopped at the Nurburg Ring for the first time. Lots to take in and see. I did not know it was the worlds longest race track, something like 17 miles for just one lap. I really liked the restaurant/bar at the entrance/exit of the track and watching all of the high end Ferraris, Porsches, Nissan GT-Rs, and the like as they parked near by and prepped for another lap. I took a ride in the BMW M5 ring taxi and got to see the track up close and at a fair speed, and even in the rain on some points as well. Nothing like going 200 KM/hr in the rain going into a turn and the driver never even slows down his conversation, let alone the car, as his braking points did not even change much between the dry and wet track. Having a CTS-V at Nurburing for a few days would be about the best time anyone could ever ask for. I am traveling to Denmark, Sweden, France, and Germany in a few days and always wondered if anyone in these regions are into the new CTS-V's. If you are send me a PM with your location.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

Quote Originally Posted by RapidRob View Post
    Just took a look at the web site where you can order updated NAV discs, and they show a Euro edition for 2010 and above, $199.00. But, for a 2009 V2, they don't show a Euro update at all. There is one for Japan, but none for Europe - go figure ... ? If I were you I'd give them a call, and ask if they have Euro upgrade discs for a 2009 V.

Rob
    I would think you'd want the latest one you could get for your region. For example, I have a 2009 and I updated it with a 2010 disc to get the updated map data and operating software. When the 2011 disc becomes available, I'll update to that.

RapidRob is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

^^^ - You very well may be correct, - but I'd still call em to make sure.

Rob

So fellas, I received my response from the GM NAV team. I have copied and pasted their response below. I find it a major inconvenience for me to have to replace to whole Navigation system in order for me to receive service in the UK. With me being in the military, my location will change from time to time and replacing the NAV unit that often is not something I'm going to do. I would not mind having to purchase an update via CD but it seems like im just going to have to do with this.

Regarding case #42370, Move to England

Dear Mr. Santillan,

Thank you for contacting us. In response to your questions, we advise as follows:

The GPS of your vehicle does not work in Europe and cannot be updated. It will be necessary to replace the all unit. We list below the contact details of the GM authorized service centers in the UK, so that you can contact your closest one for further technical advice and information on the changes or modifications to expect with the car:

jrcmlc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

That's pretty weak, and surprises me if that's accurate.

Joe

paul34 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Wow. Who makes a completely separate GPS unit for each market for a multi-market vehicle? Pretty silly.

^^^ I know right? If a freaking cell phone can do it why not a 2k nav system?

chrswk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Sedan

I would bet it's the exact same Alpine hardware in both. You would probably need a software hack to make the European version work on the US unit, but there's no way it's a different unit.

I'll try to find a "local" CTS-V and see if a dealer can tell me the part numbers.

rodinoma is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade; 2009 XLR; 2008 STS-V; 2013 CTS-V

Hi, sorry I did not see this until now and you are probably already in the UK. First, let me answer the easier question first - Are you moving to the UK permanently or just for a certain period of time? If you are going to be there as a tourist for less than a year then you don't have to do anything to your CTS. If on the other hand you are moving to the UK you can bring in the car tax and duty free and as long as you keep it for six months before selling it you will be ok. And then you can sell it for the higher price (because it will be competing against all other UK CTSs that have paid the 10% duty and the 17.5% VAT). If you have moved permanently then you simply have to switch the front headlamps and the rear taillight assembly and add a rear fog light (but you can buy the entire set up from the UK Cadillac dealership). As for the navigation system since you CTS is a 2003 then you simply need to purchase the European DVDs (which also can be purchased from a UK Cadillac dealer). Later model US-model Cadillacs have become much more complicated in terms of using the nav systems overseas. Yes, ironic as it may sound, the "Standard of the World" sometimes does not work properly around the world. Anyway, if you need any further info please contact me. Regards

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.