Will GPS work in Europe? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Will GPS work in Europe? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; ^^^ I have a 2009 CTS-V. I already did the MOT conversions and my headlights werent touched. As far as ...
    mannyz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS(Sold) Black 09 V

Re: Will GPS work in Europe?

^^^ I have a 2009 CTS-V. I already did the MOT conversions and my headlights werent touched. As far as the NAV situation, I never got it figured out so I just got a Garming to go on my windshield. If anyone comes up with a solution please let me know, I will be here for 2 more years. I believe Jesse knows of a way to sort this one out but I'll let him speak for that.

rodinoma is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade; 2009 XLR; 2008 STS-V; 2013 CTS-V

Ah yes - this is a big problem. I have made this point over and over again to senior management at Cadillac that they are damaging their reputation by not inserting a bit of code in their US homologated Cadillacs to allow the nav system (owned and operated by the US Dept of Defense) to work around the world. I have told them they are alienating a very exclusive and influential group of owners that either take their Cadillacs to Europe for vacation or move there with them. I am not sure they get it. I had this problem with my 2007 Escalade and managed to locate the team at Delphi that worked on the software and they generously prepared a DVD with software that overrode the US version and gave me the European software - I also got the European radio frequencies and the Region 2 coding for watching DVDs.

However the problem with the second generation CTS/CTS V is that it does not use a DVD but rather a hard drive. So an obvious option would be to replace the US nav/stereo stack with a European one - however it is not that easy because I understand that the software would get confused because it would pick up signals from a European nav but the rest of the car would be US. This is why the information you received from Cadillac Customer Service might not be correct. Which is why I have told them that they should include European map software as standard. If you can be patient I might be able to find a solution. I will be talking to Cadillac on behalf of a VIP client of theirs who brings his Cadillacs back and forth every year and is annoyed also at this problem. He is about to order both a CTS-V sedan and wagon and wants the nav to work in Europe. Both cars are going to end up in his US collection and so have to conform to FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) which are completely different from what the rest of the world follows which are the UNECE standards. It is very easy to export a FMVSS car to Europe but impossible to import a UNECE standard vehicle to the US. Also kind of ironic because whereas 30-40 years ago our standards where superior, they are not anymore. And mortality rates on US roads are now 3x higher on average than Europe's, notwithstanding our slower speed limits and larger mass vehicles.

So when the Cadillacs leave the factory they have to conform to FMVSS in every regard. However if FMVSS does not have a ruling on a specific issue (amber taillights, for example, or a speedometer that reads to 320 instead of 200 because it can be switched back and forth between imperial and metric, or a European navigation system) then Cadillac can make a substitution. What we will be discussing is whether they can make these changes and if so how easy will it be to make them. These will be important for Europe (ie speedometer that reads past 200 kph) and a nav system that works but completely irrelevant to US rules when the cars are shipped back.

I hope you have been able to drive the car on the Continent as it was meant to be driven.
    Moneypenny and Moneypenny like this.

PerformanceDefined is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe (Right Hand Drive)

Quote Originally Posted by mannyz View Post
    ^^^ I have a 2009 CTS-V. I already did the MOT conversions and my headlights werent touched. ...snip...
    I Mannyz,
    I am importing my '12 CTS-V Coupe into Australia and are not sure what the options for the headlights are since it has the "active" headlights. You indicated that yours were re-aligned - does that mean they dip to the left now?
    Ken.

Hi Ken Let me see if I can help here. I take it you are military and are either going to be stationed up in Darwin in the NT or maybe in Western Australia? Either way you won't have to make any changes to your car except for adding a big sticker on the back saying that it is a LHD vehicle. At least you do in the State of New South Wales (Sydney) when I lived there 20 years ago. And as for the lights you should be able to get replacements for all RHD markets, like the UK for example. Cadillac sells a RHD CTS in most RHD markets but not yet in Oz. That may change but in any event the replacement parts will be available.

Anyway you are going to have a blast with the car especially if you are stationed in WA or the NT. Once you leave the inhabited areas you can basically drive flat out - in a drive I did between Perth and Monkey Mia (about 700 km) I think I passed twenty cars and 18-wheelers and basically only took my foot off the accelerator when I need to stretch. All you need to watch out for is the occasional 'roo but they dont really move around until it gets cool in the evening - so do your fast driving during the day and not at night.

Hi Rodinoma ...
    Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, a lot has changed in Aussie during the past 20 years.
    I am a 25-yr resident of Melbourne (Victoria) - not in the military. I bought a new CTS-V Coupe while in the US last month after driving one for a few weeks, and are bringing it in as a private import. There are no permanent exemptions for late-model LHD cars in Au now - not unless you are willing to have it crushed after 12 months! They must be converted to be registered.
    Yes - the RHD headlights are available but I would prefer to avoid the $1000 per side cost if the low-beam bias can be adjusted. As it stands, I will probably have to replace the entire headlamp anyway as they are only DOT-marked, not E-marked.

Unfortunately the tree-hugging hippies that scream about anything travelling faster than a wombat have taken the joy out of WA & NT. As of about a year ago, open-road speed limits have been enforced - max of 130km/h. Better than in Vic & NSW - max of 110. If you are caught doing >30km/h over, you instantly lose your license & the vehicle is impounded for 28 days!

(I saw what a wild camel does to a VE Commodore at 140km/h - think i'd prefer the 'roo).

Cheers!

Thanks for that - I know that a few years ago NT added a speed limit and I was caught going 200 kmh outside of Geraldton but the cop was lenient since I had a US drivers license. I agree that they have probably lost their sense of humor since then.

I think our friend is with the US military and so is allowed to keep his car as LHD and make minimal changes to the car. On the other hand you will have to make a full left to right conversion! SHould not be as expensive as the Corvette because GM actually makes a RHD CTS (although not a RHD CTS-V).

----------

This is interesting:

Frequently Asked Questions
    FAQs about the GM Nav Disc Center, GM Navigation Disc Purchase.

Browse by FAQ Category
    Hard Disk Drive (HDD) And Gracenotes
    Nav Disc Overview
    Updating Owner Information
    Disc Purchase and Ordering
    Returns and Replacement
    Shipping and Delivery
    Error Codes and Basic Troubleshooting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hard Disk Drive (HDD) And Gracenotes TOP Q: What is the HDD? Is it available on all new GM vehicles?
    A: The HDD is a specially designed, highly durable, automotive version of the hard drive that you have in your personal computer. It is used to store digital music and other information that you might use while you're driving. The HDD system is currently offered only on the 2008 and 2009 model year CTS and CTS-V.

Q: What is Gracenotes?
    A: Gracenotes MusicIDŽ software that will display information about the track currently playing on your vehicle's sound system, including the artist's name, the song title, and the album title on which the song was released. The Gracenotes feature is included with the HDD on the 2008 and 2009 model year CTS and CTS-V.

Q: Do I need to update Gracenotes?
    A: Yes, new albums are being released on a regular basis. Any albums released after the Gracenotes database was installed on your vehicle won't be displayed when those tracks are played.

Q: How can I get a copy of Gracenotes?
    A: Gracenotes updates are available through the website, www.gmnavdisc.com or by calling the toll-free number at 1-877-NAV-DISC (1-877-628-3472), 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. ET Monday through Friday. The price is $19.99 per copy. Important note: Gracenotes is offered on the CTS with the HDD, both with or without a Navigation system. Be sure to specify which version is required when placing your order.

Q: How is the Gracenotes information put into my HDD?
    A: Instructions are included in each DVD case for loading the data into the HDD. Click on the links below to view instructions:
    Gracenotes for HDD with a factory Navigation system
    Gracenotes for HDD without a factory Navigation system

Q: How do I load digital music onto the HDD in my vehicle?
    A: Refer to the Owner's Manual that was supplied with your vehicle. Music can only be loaded from an audio CD. If you need to purchase an owner manual for your GM vehicle visit www.helminc.com or call 1-800-782-4356.

Q: Why do I need to update the navigation data in my vehicle?
    A: The navigation data changes over time. Although there is typically very little change to interstate highways, there are changes to local streets, roads, and highways. More importantly, there are significant changes to the local Points of Interest, which include ATM's, restaurants, theaters and other local business information. Semi-annual navigation data updates are recommended.

Q: How do I install a navigation system map update?
    A: Instructions are included in each DVD case. Click here to see the instructions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nav Disc Overview TOP Q: What is the GM Nav Disc program?
    A: The GM Navigation Disc program is one that both customers and dealers may obtain DVD map updates for your GM Navigation System. For those GM vehicles with the GM Navigation System we offer the latest DVD map update for your system for Retail Purchase. Beginning with the 2008 model year data discs for the Hard Drive Device (HDD) units will also be available. (Note: For 2008 and 2009 model years the HDD is available only on the CTS.)

Disc Purchase and Ordering TOP Q: Can I obtain a disc from my dealer?
    A: No. Map update DVDs are available through the website, www.gmnavdisc.com or by calling the toll-free number at 1-877-NAV-DISC (1-877-628-3472), 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.

Returns and Replacement TOP Q: I received a disc from the GM Nav Disc Center and it is damaged. What do I do next?
    A: You can call the toll-free number at 1-877-NAV-DISC (1-877-628-3472), 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. ET Monday through Friday. A Customer Support representative will assist you in ordering a replacement map update DVD.

Q: I received a disc from the GM Nav Disc Center and it is the wrong disc for my system. What do I do next?
    A: You can call the toll free number at 1-877-NAV-DISC (1-877-628-3472), 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. ET Monday through Friday. One of our Customer Support representatives will assist you in obtaining the correct map update.

Q: Can I return my disc if I change my mind?
    A: The GM Navigation Disc Center has a no refund policy. However, if you receive a defective or damaged disc you can exchange it for the same disc.

Q: Can I exchange my map update disc for a different one?
    A: Items cannot be exchanged for a different item. If you received a damaged or defective item and need to exchange it for the same item, please contact the GM Navigation Disc Center by calling 1-877-NAV-DISC (1-877-628-3472), 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. ET Monday through Friday to request a replacement. Items that were delivered more than 30 days ago are not eligible for exchange.

Shipping and Delivery TOP Q: Where does the Nav Disc Center ship to?
    A: We can ship to any address in the United States, Canada. We can also ship to many other international countries in Europe, the Middle East, China and Japan. You can always contact the GM Navigation Disc Center and speak with a Customer Support representative to confirm if shipping to a specific city or country is available. Before placing your order, you will have the option to select your shipping method and the associated cost. Shipping method and cost will also appear in the Order Review and Order Confirmation e-mail.

Q: What shipping options do I have?
    A: U.S. orders with a street address will ship via USPS or UPS. Expedited delivery options are available. All Canadian orders will ship via UPS Standard to Canada. All other international orders will ship by UPS World Wide Express.

Error Codes and Basic Troubleshooting TOP Q: Why am I getting Disc Read Errors and how can I troubleshoot the problem?
    A: By far the most common reason for a Disc Read Error is installing the disc in the CD slot, or another media slot that was not intended for the map DVD.
    Click on the link below to view instructions:
    Disc Read Error Troubleshooting

Q: Who should I contact if I need assistance operating my GM Navigation System?
    A: You can call the toll-free number at 1-877-NAV-DISC (1-877-628-3472), 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.

Q: Will the GM Navigation Disc Center know whether or not the mapping information on the "new" disc has been updated to include new neighborhoods, roads, and POI in specific areas from the disc the customer currently has?
    A: No. The Customer Support representatives do not have a list of the specific map updates or enhancements. If, however, a customer becomes aware of new information that should be included on a map update they can submit those suggestions through the website Your Feedback screen.

Navigation Data Suggestions
    Help us in our effort to continually improve the data used in our navigation systems.
    Submit Suggestions

gmdt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Hi Where can i purchase the latest nav Update?

Go this website: https://www.gmnavdisc.com/disc-map-reporter.asp?lang=en

If they are not helpful I can direct you someplace where you can source it. But try them first and give them hell if they are not helpful about this. It is a big issue and they need to be aware of it.

They did not touch my headlights but the CTS-V headlights can be adjusted to naturally aim slightly left or wherever you want it to when the steering wheel is straight.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Just wanted to let you all know I have documented this thread so that various GM departments can access it. Rodinoma, thank you very much for your honest comments and extremely helpful feedback!

I'm available anytime via private message or, if you're unable to send PMs, via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com. I welcome additional feedback and would be happy to follow-up on concerns if any of you have lingering questions!

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Thank you!!!!! It's really irritating that a $150 harming unit can have robust updates and maps from different regions but not our built in system. I've been asked of my car has NAV plenty of times and the first that comes out of my mouth is "well.........yes and no".

Hi Mannyz - I have not forgotten you. I was ready to buy my CTS-V in the States and ship it over but because of the economic situation in Europe I picked up a European homologated version for $10k more than the US price which is excellent. The list price in Europe is $125k. However I did discover how you can get your GPS stack to work in Europe but it is not cheap - basically you have to replace it with the European stack AND switch out the steering column and put in the European one that comes with a steering column lock. Evidently, the stack won't light up unless it gets a signal that the steering is unlocked and since US cars dont have steering locks anymore the Euro Stack would get confused signals in a US car. I have also spoken to a number of Cadillac executives and told them it is really hard to believe that the Standard of the World does not work around the world. Hopefully they will keep this in mind when planning futues cars because the concept that Americans would actually want to drive their Cadillacs around the world appears to be a foreign concept to them - go figure. After all we take our iPhones with us, why not our cars?

I found an answer - let me know if you are still looking for the solution to the GPS problem

Yes, still seeking a solution ... please advise.

Ok - but I don't think you will like the answer. You will need to replace the GPS stack with the Euro stack and then switch out the steering column and replace it with the European steering column which comes with a lock. Why? Because the European version of the CTS-V will not start (inc the Body Control Module (BCM)) unless it gets a message from a steering lock that has been released. To save money in the US the manufacturers are not required to use them any more (hence why the Escalade is now the most stolen vehicle in the US) but they are mandatory in Europe and around the world.

So the Euro stack will work if it gets a message that the steering lock has been replaced. I was ready to go through all this but made a deal with a dealer for a 2013 European homologation CTS-V for $5k more than the US list price and $40k below the Euro list price. But in the meantime I had researched this issue - and complained to senior Cadillac executives about their myopia.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.