Must Read All New CTS-V Owners !!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Must Read All New CTS-V Owners !! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; It's been something thats being discussed now more than before because it seems we have alot of new coupe owners ...
    Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

Must Read All New CTS-V Owners !!

It's been something thats being discussed now more than before because it seems we have alot of new coupe owners popping up on the forum.

Guys, you should realllly replace all of your fluids within the first few hundred miles on your V. I'm talking rear diff & trans. Have your coolant levels checked, ie other fluids also.

We've had countless cases on the forums where the V has come extremely short with fluids from the factory. Most noticeably the rear diff. Within my first 100 miles I had diff noise and had all my fluids changed. No more diff noise. Later on when I had my heat exchanger put on at Jesse's they drained out about 1 red solo cup full of coolant out of my stock exchanger ?!?

It's really an inexpensive and wise move. A few hundred bucks to cover all changed fluids is alot cheaper than dealing with the dealership at 5k when you have issues with your diff and they don't want to warranty it because you've decided to "mod" your V. Just a heads up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

newcadman is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

Re: Must Read All New CTS-V Owners !!

Excellent advice.

Always good to think in terms of,"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"!

cbloveday is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I am on the program.

If you mod your car you should also change them more frequently than the service schedule dictates.

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe on Order, 2013 Escalade ESV,

I agree to check all fluids, but I wouldn't change out the factory trans fluid. The Dexron 6 is a very good synthetic fluid and doesn't have to be changed out for a long time.

I would change the engine oil and rear diff fluid and check all other fluid levels.

Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Why not just take your V to the dealership and have them double-check the fluid levels? That is, unless you want to have your own fluids in the car instead...which is completely understandable.

Tony

Tom_E is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE - Picked up a 2014 C7

Quote Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
    Guys, you should realllly replace all of your fluids within the first few hundred miles on your V. I'm talking rear diff & trans. Have your coolant levels checked, ie other fluids also.
    Are you suggesting replacing with factory brand fluids or other brands?

factory has been proven to be extremely reliable.

BeagleBrains is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe

In 1970 I worked at a Cadillac Dealership in the new car service garage.
    Insufficient power - running rough = one entire piston and associated connecting rod, etc. not installed.
    Banging, rattling in fender = pop bottle wired/suspended inside right fender just ahead of right front door.
    Dash emblem in Sedan Deville read: Eldorado/ door insignia = Seville/ Trunk ID = Coupe DeVille
    Wierd interior sounds, = right internal sail panel trim missing.
    Transport driver while unloading car - this car has a custom (????) exhaust = no exhaust at all.
    I should have kept a diary.
    My CTS V Coupe arrived August 12. At just over 700 miles, we had Rear Differential, Transmission, and Engine Fluids changed. Coincidentally this flushed all the manufacturing debris and likely improved longevity of the car.
    I asked the mechanic to show me how it was done (therefore verifying correct fluid levels).

Bushidopupil is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (V)icious Coupe

So I assume the owners manuel tells you exactly what brand fluids the V comes with, if sticking with the factory that is?

I like AMSOIL and Royal Purple engine oil, and Redline fluids as well.

CTS V Owner's Manual oil specifications:
    http://www.cadillac.com/assets/pdf/o...ers_manual.pdf
    Page 10-12 Vehicle Care
    Notice: Use only engine oil that is approved to the dexosTM specification or an equivalent engine oil of the appropriate
    viscosity grade. Engine oils approved to the dexosTM specification will show the dexosTM symbol on the container.
    Viscosity Grade SAE 5W-30 is the best viscosity grade for the vehicle.
    ... ..you may use substitute engine oil displaying the API Starburst symbol and of SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade.

Engine Oil Life System When to Change Engine Oil
    When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it indicates that an oil change is necessary. A CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes on.
    If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be changed at 5 000 km (3,000 miles) since the last oil change.
    Remember to reset the Oil Life System whenever the oil is changed.
    Engine Oil Filter 6.2L V8 Engine GM Part No: 89017524 AC Delco Part No: PF48
    Engine Oil with Filter 6.2LV8 Engine 5.7 L (6.0 qt)

It seems to me to imply that the recommended oil change interval is 3000 miles. This suits my sensativity to oil and engine reliability.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

I only agree with the advice of checking them, NOT replacing them. I got my car used, wasn't sure if I had the sythetic engine oil, so I did change that. I was going west in high heat, and to race it, so I wanted to be sure. I only checked the levels on the others.

".... .checking them, NOT replacing them."
    The economy of avoiding the expense of an extra fluid change as compared to the costs of major component replacement is an interesting choice!????
    And, consider that most of the damages imposed on my cars has been during and as the result of Warranty work for component replacements.

I say replace because you are doing 2x things at 1 time. Not only are you verifying you have the proper amount of fluids but if you are also getting rid of the original fluid that contains break-in material from the diff, trans, etc. Honestly if you can afford a 60K+ vehicle and cannot afford a couple hundred bucks in fluids than you have your priorities in disarray.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Stephen P, the reference to a 3,000 mile interval is if you accidentally reset the OLM (therefore you don't know what the oil life percentage really is) so they suggest changing it at 3,000 miles ...

for instance, if you were at 40% oil life and had gone 4,000 miles since your last oil change GM would suggest just getting your oil changed and then resetting the OLM back to 100%... sure you could guess and go a few more weeks or months, but then you're guessing ...

if you had only driven about 1,000 miles since your last oil change and accidentally reset the OLM then GM would suggest going another 2,000 miles and then changing the oil (sure you could go further but again you'd be guessing at the actual oil life)

ALSO, about the oil... you quoted this:
    you may use substitute engine oil displaying the API Starburst symbol and of SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade.
    but you left out the context of that statement which was that you can use any starburst 5w30 oil as a substitute for topping off the oil level only, not for a full fill

also note that the dexos™ oils are only for 2011 and newer vehicles... (and the CTS-V actually has a different oil spec than the regular cts if I recall correctly)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.