Must Read All New CTS-V Owners !! - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Must Read All New CTS-V Owners !! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; thanks for the information...
    Kenny Pollock is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE yet

Re: Must Read All New CTS-V Owners !!

thanks for the information

dgman2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011CTS-V / AT Sedan, Black w bl wheels

Hello there guys,
    Had my fluids changed today, since I got paranoid with all this talk about what is, or might be, best to do. It was not an inexpensive deal, though. I had engine, tranny (auto) and rear end changed. Total was $540.39.
    Of course, I'm now good for many worry free miles on tranny and rear end. I made sure they didn't reset my "oil change indicator" since my Normal oil changes are included in my "care package"..... this way I'll get one
    more early change out of the deal and my engine should be void of any excessive metal particles from my break in period.
    It would have been much less without the tranny flush, but it did give me some more peace of mind to change all the fluids. Because of the warning in this thread, I had the dealer check the rear end shortly after getting
    the car and it was fine....
    I watched them check it by topping it off. It took maybe an ounce or two.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

Quote Originally Posted by dgman2 View Post
    Hello there guys,
    Had my fluids changed today, since I got paranoid with all this talk about what is, or might be, best to do. It was not an inexpensive deal, though. I had engine, tranny (auto) and rear end changed. Total was $540.39.
    Of course, I'm now good for many worry free miles on tranny and rear end. I made sure they didn't reset my "oil change indicator" since my Normal oil changes are included in my "care package"..... this way I'll get one
    more early change out of the deal and my engine should be void of any excessive metal particles from my break in period.
    It would have been much less without the tranny flush, but it did give me some more peace of mind to change all the fluids. Because of the warning in this thread, I had the dealer check the rear end shortly after getting
    the car and it was fine....
    I watched them check it by topping it off. It took maybe an ounce or two.
    It's a good thing you took care of it. A lot of you new owners have to realize also that the dealer will NOT tell you if your new V was low on fluids. Why ? because it's their responsibility as soon as they take in your new V to verify that everything as it should be. They're not going to tell you, " oh we found out your diff barely had any oil in it ", " we WON'T charge you for the fluid change because of that ". You think the dealership will tell you if you're low and than not charge you for it ? very few honest dealers will do that nowadays.

Squirlz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond 6MT V-Wagon

I mentioned this to the woman who got us in to see our car built. I emailed to ask her if the fluid was checked in the full audit I got. Her reply:

The differential fluid is not checked at the plant. It comes to us prefilled.

Thank you for the heads up on the potential issue. I forwarded your note onto our warranty group and they are investigating it through research in the warranty database. We have also contacted our brand quality manager to determine if differential fluid is checked at the dealer (delivery inspection check). You can always ask the dealer about your concern.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

any oil with the GM4718M spec on the label (probably back label) will be just fine ... let's not start an oil war
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

ozdemir23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

taking possession of 2012 V sedan in 2 weeks. Do i have the fluids checked prior to taking delivery, or do i drive approximately 700 miles and then take it to the dealer to check levels. By the way, someone was saying that they had the fluids changed it cost almost $550. Is this not something that would be covered under the warranty? Maybe i am thinking that topping off should be covered, but not a full flush and refill. Anyway, appreciate this info. Sold my 04 CTSV and thought i would never let it go, until i test drove the 2012 - iyiyiy.

topping off to correct levels should be covered by the warranty ... drain and refill is not in the service recommendations so it would not be covered (for no reason)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

BeagleBrains is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe

I always change all fluids (excluding brake fluid) at about 500 miles in order to flush out any manufacturing debris. Some metal particles and once in awhile, some malitious intententional contamination needs purging.
    And.... I always check post-flush for correct fluid levels following the 500-mile fluid replacement. One time, the manual transmission oil level was a half-quart low - Dealer mechanic trying to make an extra $25.00 by not installing the full design fill of expensive mineral oil. I actually (really did) encountered a mechanic that did not know how to change the rear differential oil. On my Jeep, there is no drain plug; one must open the Differential "pumpkin" to drain the oil. Of course, the gasket will have to be replaced. For some reason there is only an upper fill plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen P. View Post
    I always change all fluids (excluding brake fluid) at about 500 miles in order to flush out any manufacturing debris. Some metal particles and once in awhile, some malitious intententional contamination needs purging.
    And.... I always check post-flush for correct fluid levels following the 500-mile fluid replacement. One time, the manual transmission oil level was a half-quart low - Dealer mechanic trying to make an extra $25.00 by not installing the full design fill of expensive mineral oil. I actually (really did) encountered a mechanic that did not know how to change the rear differential oil. On my Jeep, there is no drain plug; one must open the Differential "pumpkin" to drain the oil. Of course, the gasket will have to be replaced. For some reason there is only an upper fill plug.
    WTF? are you saying that someone intentionally contaminates the fluids at the factory? and how would you know?

and how is a dealer tech going to make money by not filling your fluid to the correct level? techs can't turn parts (especially fluids) into cash very easily
    first, it's a BIG BIG no-no ... first offense is grounds for termination at our shop

did they charge you for the correct amount of fluid but leave a quart low?
    so you suspect the tech kept the extra bottle and then sold it back to the dealer to be used on another car?
    i've heard of techs doing stuff like that to get fluids for their personal cars (saving themselves money) - still just as big of a no-no
    but i've never heard of them selling the fluids to make some cash

unethical people are everywhere ... that's why trust is such a big factor in choosing who to do business with (especially in a service oriented industries like automotive, finance and hospitality)

BeagleBrains is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by GMRetiree View Post
    Sorry, I don't believe this post. I've heard these myths a thousand times.
    Thanks for your informed confidence, Sticks. Last word!??

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by ozdemir23 View Post
    taking possession of 2012 V sedan in 2 weeks. Do i have the fluids checked prior to taking delivery, or do i drive approximately 700 miles and then take it to the dealer to check levels. By the way, someone was saying that they had the fluids changed it cost almost $550. Is this not something that would be covered under the warranty? Maybe i am thinking that topping off should be covered, but not a full flush and refill. Anyway, appreciate this info. Sold my 04 CTSV and thought i would never let it go, until i test drove the 2012 - iyiyiy.
    I would recommend speaking with the dealer about topping off the fluids if that is what you decide. Congratulations on your purchase and feel free to contact me with any quesitons. Thank you.

Tricia, Cadillac Customer Service.

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

The diff is covered under the TSB if you get a clunk, "chatter" or howling.

#10-04-20-001B: Rear Axle Clunk and/or Chatter Type Noise on Turns (Drain/Refill Rear Differential Fluid) - (Apr 21, 2010)
    Subject: Rear Axle Clunk and/or Chatter Type Noise on Turns (Drain/Refill Rear Differential Fluid)

Models: 2003-2010 Cadillac CTS, Sport Wagon (Including V-Series and Export)
    2004-2009 Cadillac SRX (Including Export)
    2005-2010 Cadillac STS (Including V-Series and Export)
    Equipped with Limited Slip Differential (RPO G80)

Condition
    Some customers may comment on a clunk and/or chatter type noise from the rear of the vehicle while making turns.

This condition may be worse on vehicles built prior to the 2008 model year. Carbon-faced clutch plates were introduced into production in the 2008 model year and have decreased the likelihood of the clutch plate chatter.

Cause
    This condition may be caused by slip/stick of the posi-traction clutch plates due to insufficient limited-slip axle additive. As plates slip and stick, a jumping or jerking feel occurs accompanied by a clunk noise.

Correction
    Important: DO NOT remove the differential cover. It is not necessary to flush the old fluid from the differential.

Drain and refill the rear differential with fluid, GM P/N 88862624 (in Canada, 88862625). Refer to the Axle Lubricant Change procedure in SI.

This fluid includes a friction modifier already added with a different formulation that lasts longer and does not break down over time.

Without Differential Oil Cooler
    1.10 L
    1.16 qt

With Differential Oil Cooler
    1.41 L
    1.50 qt

Parts Information
    Part Number

88862624 (US -1 qt)

Ste_V_e is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

How do you know if you have a diff cooler? I'm looking to get my diff fluid changed soon. Thanks -Steve

Ste_V_e is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I just had my diff fluid changed today with the 88862624 fluid and they put down they used 2 bottles does that mean I have a diff cooler?

Metacomet is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS-V Sport Wagon, Black Diamond

A little confused by this topic.

Was under the impression that the full service warranty on 2011 and up Caddies covered all of these items.

If your fluids are wrong, isn't that on GM/Cadillac?

Was certainly my impression when I went to the 2011 model year.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.