Must Read All New CTS-V Owners !! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Must Read All New CTS-V Owners !! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I read this thread and had my diff fluid checked and subsequently changed. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...not-happy.html Adrian, you can lead a horse ...
    cbloveday is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Must Read All New CTS-V Owners !!

I read this thread and had my diff fluid checked and subsequently changed.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...not-happy.html

Adrian, you can lead a horse to water...............

wfo
    wfo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Tuner car fanatic..there all good!

nradcad is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 V B-B

Sometimes I don't understand this.

Step 1: Buy brand new car
    Step 2: Immediately go to Dealer and make sure it was assembled correctly.

The new standard of the world, huh? OK. Sure.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

Quote Originally Posted by nradcad View Post
    Sometimes I don't understand this.

Step 1: Buy brand new car
    Step 2: Immediately go to Dealer and make sure it was assembled correctly.

The new standard of the world, huh? OK. Sure.
    Yep. Unless you believe the uaw is double and triple checking the build quality of your vehicle on a friday afternnoon

I really don't see what all this backlash is about. It has been repeatedly proven that there is inconsistancy in the diff fluid levels.

nradcad is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 V B-B

Quote Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
    Yep. Unless you believe the uaw is double and triple checking the build quality of your vehicle on a friday afternnoon
    You're right....good point.

BeagleBrains is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    Stephen P, (really is) so they suggest changing it at 3,000 miles ...
    and go a few more weeks or months, but then you're guessing ...

if you ...,,. also note that the... (and the CTS-V actually has a different oil spec than the regular cts if I recall correctly)
    "the reference to a 3,000 mile interval is if you accidentally reset the OLM" does not identify how many miles are previously driven! Therefore "for instance, if you were at 40% oil life" as calculated for miles + driving conditions, the miles driven could be 200 or 10,000. If I had driven ten (10) miles and reset the OLM, "therefore you do not know what the oil life percentage" nor do I care.
    I will be changing within a measured known 3,000 miles. Weeks or months, no. Mile limit, yes! Yup, this exceeds the GM Waranty service frequency. They will certainly take my money. ".. sure you could guess"
    ALSO, about the oil......context of that statement..", this thread addresses OLM Reset, with an aside reference to oil viscosity. Actually, If anyone wants this much BS in a reply, go to the Owner's Manual. "...dexos™ oils are only for 2011 and newer vehicles...." I GUESS (on this statement) this is somewhat relevant. The GM Computer Oil Life Calculation is an arbitrary determination that I will not trust. If it included input from an oil conductivity (fouling) probe [such devices are available], I would consider it.
    "...you left out.. use any starburst 5w30 oil as a substitute for topping off." OK?
    nt2old4actsv likes this.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Stephen, I'm having a hard time understanding what you're saying here.

What I can figure out is that you don't seem to understand how the OLM system works.
    First, it's not arbitrary. Second, it does not take miles driven into account.
    Read up on it here

That post is kind of long, but it's very informative and from a PowerTrain Engineer. The following is the basic rundown of the OLM system.
    The GM engine oil life monitor counts engine revolutions and accumulates the number for the basis of the oil life calculation. It then adds deterioration factors for operating temperature, start up temperature, soak times, ambient, coolant temperature, etc...
    And lastly, I'm not sure why you edited/modified/added to what I wrote and cut it up. Kind of makes it seem like you're trying to misquote me, and as I said at first it also makes it harder to read and comprehend.

If you want to keep up with 3,000 mile oil change intervals that's fine with me. I'm just trying to make sure that there's not a misunderstanding or misinformation and that you (and others that may be reading this) know what the OLM system is really doing and how it works.

Hope you all had a great turkey day,
    Chris
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

BeagleBrains is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe

"... .understand how the OLM system works.."
    I understand that the OLM is the ultimate compromise. If you do not want to spend money, take the time, or involve yourself in mundane inocuous car maintenance....then watch the oil life % indication.
    I understand that your noble interpretation is ideal and far above my humble capabilities. Having a degree in Geology, extensive chemistry and math education, practical 33 years of experience, Licensed Nuclear Engineer, etc. merely!
    Mongo cannot (will not) accept (understand??) acquiescing to compromised standards. I bow to you. Sir!

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Um... what?

Did you read the explanation of the OLM in the link I provided?
    This is not some 'interpretation' as you put it. This is science fact.
    There's no compromise here either. Just maximizing efficiency.
    I'm pretty sure that the people who invented the system have a longer list of accolades and higher ed degrees than you (like that really matters anyway).

But the point is that it works and it's been tested ... and it's been in use for over two decades.

The whole point of the system is to save owners money and to conserve natural resources.
    It's obviously your choice to do the oil changes at whatever interval you choose, but I think you're greatly misinformed here.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3,000_mile_myth

Cheers,
    Chris
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Danko is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): CTS Wagon

I refuse to believe that today, the Cadillac dealers do not check fluid levels AND the factory sent a car low on a fluid. Both situations would have to exist for a new owner to receive a car low on a fluid. Not believing that is very likely at all. In fact, I think it to be so unlikely, that I will not even check fluid levels except oil and only after driving a few hundred miles or so.

How do you explain the low fluid levels people are experiencing immediatley after taking delivery?

4gear70 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (MG9)

Quote Originally Posted by cbloveday View Post
    How do you explain the low fluid levels people are experiencing immediatley after taking delivery?
    My '09's fluid levels were all good upon delivery. However, for all those that had low levels, it kind of makes you wonder what those mysterious 'PDI' fees are from the dealer...

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    I refuse to believe that today, the Cadillac dealers do not check fluid levels AND the factory sent a car low on a fluid. Both situations would have to exist for a new owner to receive a car low on a fluid. Not believing that is very likely at all. In fact, I think it to be so unlikely, that I will not even check fluid levels except oil and only after driving a few hundred miles or so.
    Its a good thing the military didnt use that line of thinking during the world wars... Maybe if we just ignore Hitler, he'll go away...

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by 4gear70 View Post
    My '09's fluid levels were all good upon delivery. However, for all those that had low levels, it kind of makes you wonder what those mysterious 'PDI' fees are from the dealer...
    IF you are one of the unlucy few with low fluids, the PDI fees should be refunded.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.