cts-v dead
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, cts-v dead in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Has anybody experienced losing battery life when NOT driving the car more than twice a week and logging in about ...
    CADYSHAK is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

cts-v dead

Has anybody experienced losing battery life when NOT driving the car more than twice a week and logging in about 4-5 hours driving time in the week?

CADYSHAK

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Re: cts-v dead

I have read several posts about this topic. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find them. Many have pinpointed some sort of error with the memory seats or something like that. Personally, my battery kept going dead just from listening to the stereo with the engine off for more than a few minutes. I replaced the battery with a yellow top and now all is fine.

Tony

Prof is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Found mine dead very early on, discovered that my radar detector drained the battery very quickly if it was not driven each day. Had the dash outlet rewired to be a switched outlet (via the ignition) and that solved my problem.

wfo
    wfo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Tuner car fanatic..there all good!

Yup...cars are meant to be driven.

Batteries are subject to parasitic drain from computers and other things dependent upon it's vital source of energy. Also temperature while in your storage/garage and the conditon or health of the battery originating from the vendor when new can dictate longevity. Bottomline: You gotta drive them or get hooked up to a Battery Tender.

From Motorcycles, Boats, Vettes, Carts, Jet-skis, Snowmobiles. Over time, hoses, seals, gaskets, bushings and other items that require circulatory lubrication and/or movement to stay pliable...you get the picture...I've also gone to dealership lots and they've had to jump start brand new cars. Go figure.

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

My 2009 CTS-V is routinely not driven for two weeks or more with no battery problems and no battery tender. I also do not have any extra battery draining devices like iPods or radar detectors that are not powered by switched sources. I do not know your particular circumstances (CadyShak) and, therefore, cannot address your issues further.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

the OP (most likely) has a parasitic drain due to a faulty piece of electronics... memory switch is likely (as posted above)

let the dealer do the hard part of diagnosing this one since they can be such a pain
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

RemoWilliams is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I've come back to a dead battery 4 times now. I go into work come out for lunch..... Dead battery. I have now disconnected my after market audio. If it happens again I will start pushing for a buy back. Love the car, but if it wont start what use is it. Just sucks.

Thanks for your input guys , much appreciated . I had my battery FULLY checked through a $5000.00 dollar diagnoses machine and it turns out that the battery is better than average , therefore no fault ! Problem is , that I don't drive the car everyday as I will not bring it to work in fear of school kids vandalize it ! So the head technician believes that checking for parasitic issues is a waste of time .
    At this point I am very fustrated and I am seriously considering trading the V in for a Grand Sport corvette , which certainly is fun to drive but has far less gadgets to drain the battery out . Just my thinking right now .

CADYSHAK

Quote Originally Posted by CADYSHAK View Post
    Problem is , that I don't drive the car everyday as I will not bring it to work in fear of school kids vandalize it ! So the head technician believes that checking for parasitic issues is a waste of time.
    CADYSHAK
    I have 3 cars that are "daily" drivers, so to speak. Oftentimes I will drive one exclusively for a few days at a time, or even a few weeks at a time and will not touch the other ones at all. Heck, sometimes my truck will sit for a month without being driven. Both cars have Optima Yellow Top batteries and my truck has a Die Hard Platinum - and I've never had a dead battery since replacing the OEM batteries. The truck and my Mustang have aftermarket stereo systems and the V has a sub and amp in the trunk. Obviously you'd think that an OEM battery should suffice, but even if it's "100% functioning" it doesn't mean it's not a cheap piece of crap.

If the tech doesn't want to waste his time and you're frustrated enough to give the car up (this goes for you too, Remo) you might want to try either of the two aftermarket batteries I suggested first. It might solve the problem. Even if there is a parasitic drain, one of these batteries might be able to withstand it and you'd never know the difference. Just an option.

Tony

Thank you Tony for your suggestions on the other battery options. I might just take that idea up !

CADYSHAK

backup is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV, silver, manual

I have a different theory about battery drain on the CTS-V. Mine will drain very quickly when not driven, even one week of non-use might do it. But *might* is the key word, not always. Sometimes it can sit for multiple weeks without a drain problem. I make sure to remove any USB device from the USB audio port (I usually keep a flash drive plugged in) as I have noticed that even opening a door will 'start' the audio system and begin querying the USB device and spin the internal hard drive. Which brings me to another point, don't open the door unnecesarily, because as noted it appears to boot the audio/nav system and spin the hard drive. Lastly, I suspect the amount of drain has something to do with the key sensor - I have only anecdotal evidence for this but I have noticed the battery will drain faster if the key is outside of the car, versus inside the car. Like the proximity sensor is probing for the key or something, and if it sees the key inside the car it doesn't try as often or uses less energy?

Here's a bit of trivia for you - how do you open the car door if the battery is COMPLETELY dead? Can't open the front doors as they are power actuated. Can open the back doors but try reaching the hood release to access the battery jumping points from the backseat (not fun).

Quote Originally Posted by backup View Post
    Here's a bit of trivia for you - how do you open the car door if the battery is COMPLETELY dead? Can't open the front doors as they are power actuated. Can open the back doors but try reaching the hood release to access the battery jumping points from the backseat (not fun).
    Our key fob has a conventional key inside of it. You press the sides and it pulls out, allowing you to unlock the driver's door.

I love trivia!!! LOL

Tony

backup is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV, silver, manual

Quote Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
    Our key fob has a conventional key inside of it. You press the sides and it pulls out, allowing you to unlock the driver's door.

I love trivia!!! LOL

Tony
    Yep! Ok how do you open the door on the coupe with a dead battery? (I honestly do not know, but there must be a manual option...)

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

I've had my v2 for 1.5 years now, and during the winter, it doesn't get driven for a number of days at a time - depending on the weather. I've never had a dead battery greet me after an extended down period. So, I'd say your experience is NOT a normal situation, obviously. I agree with, "rippypartsmaster", above - let your dealer diagnose the problem and fix it, under warranty!

Rob

luv my V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V

Two things on this topic. I've heard or read somewhere maybe even on this forum that if the "Easy Exit Recall" is on, that can be a battery drainer. Also when I bought my V from the dealer he told me to always leave the car in reverse when parked. (Yes mine's a manual). I asked him why and he said he's been told that with all the manual Corvette's and this GM is no different because they drain power in any gear except reverse. It actually says it it the manual also.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.