How does the V work at the track?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, How does the V work at the track? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I'm curious to know how if any of you take the CTS-V to the track for a HPDE (High Performance ...
    ekyub is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

How does the V work at the track?

I'm curious to know how if any of you take the CTS-V to the track for a HPDE (High Performance Drivers Education). Whenever I buy a car it must satisfy me at the track. The V seems like such a capable machine as touted by Lutz and Heinrecy.

I've read some threads on the drag strip tracks but I'm not into that kind of track.

Thanks again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

e6t
    e6t is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): V2 CTSV

Re: How does the V work at the track?

This should just about cover it.

Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

A ton of us have tacked our Vs and I really haven't heard any negative remarks. I think the car is wonderful. Fast, composed, almost effortless. I've even autocrossed a couple of times and impressed the hell out of myself as well as the spectators.

Tony

mannyz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS(Sold) Black 09 V

Yea... I haven't tried autoxing the car yet. I may do that soon since I have a friend in a nismo 350z talking smack about the v and saying the car wasn't made to handle well unlike his.

DrumStix is offline Cadillac Owner
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Doing 50 mph through a few cones is like testing for a learners permit.
    No value there for a car like ours. He may have fun in his tiny car but take him to a track day and see who's got the better car.
    BTW, you'll never convince him so why bother trying. If you're a novice at autoX, you'll only help "prove his point."

Make sure your 350Z friend reads this article about brakes...http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ng_lap-feature

It's obvious the V has a competent package. I'm curious to hear how the tires hold up, brakes, etc. I had an M5 which was supposedly the target for the V but that car did absolutely nothing for me at the track. It was too big and heavy in the corners. The V is dimensionally smaller than the M5 which is great but I'm curious how ponderous it feels or doesn't feel. I'm heading to MSR Houston for the CTS-V Coupe trackday.

Fubar75207 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V

The V is better than an M5 on the track but it ain't no lightweight. You can definitely feel it roll in corners and although the brakes are very capable you will be able to fade them. Acceleration out of the turns is awesome, even after the cars get some heat soak in SC. If you are using the paddle shifters, the LSa motor's torque is sufficient to let you stay in higher gears longer than the euro cars. That means you get to concentrate on steering and you don't loose momentum shifting every 2 seconds.

Any day at the track is a good day. Have fun.

mannyz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS(Sold) Black 09 V

The learner permit comment is hilarious.. Yea, I've been trying to get him to bite going to a real track but he wouldn't budge. Thanks for the feedback! OP, the track was what the car was designed for.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

The V is a competent performer. But it is no lightweight. Pump up the fronts to run about 45psi hot, possibly switch to Amsoil or RedLine diff fluid, upgrade the brake fluid and have fun. The front pressures are important as you'll scrub off the outer edges of the tires in a hurry...

Short-Throw is offline CadillacOwners First 09 CTS-V Owner
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V, 08 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Pump up the fronts to run about 45psi hot
    You're joking right?

To the OP, I love this car as if it were still day one, more-so than many of the sports cars I have owned, but if you've driven any car under 3400lbs on track, you will not like how the V handles on a road circuit. It's capable of some very respectable times but not repeatedly without digging into your wallet for consumables. Like many have already mentioned, it's too heavy for HPDE use. If you don't have the optional diff cooler forget it. Those that don't have the diff cooler and haven't experienced any issues are simply not driving the car very hard. That being said it's still a blast to drive on track as any car is.

Quote Originally Posted by Short-Throw View Post
    To the OP, I love this car as if it were still day one, more-so than many of the sports cars I have owned, but if you've driven any car under 3400lbs on track, you will not like how the V handles on a road circuit. It's capable of some very respectable times but not repeatedly without digging into your wallet for consumables. Like many have already mentioned, it's too heavy for HPDE use. If you don't have the optional diff cooler forget it. Those that don't have the diff cooler and haven't experienced any issues are simply not driving the car very hard. That being said it's still a blast to drive on track as any car is.
    Thank you all for the feedback. The heaviest was my M5. The lightest has been my 911s. Weight isn't so much the concern as is the 'tautness' of the car. The M5 left me feeling cold and lacked 'fun factor'. Steering is very numb and the power was great. I like it to feel direct and responsive.

Every car I've owned, except wife's SUVs, have all seen the track. That is a prerequisite of every car I own. I don't have deep pockets nor the time for upkeep to own 2 cars. I like to own one nice performance car that I can take to the track and then go to church in the same weapon. Being top of the time charts isn't a big consideration.

garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

Quote Originally Posted by ekyub View Post
    I like it to feel direct and responsive.

I like to own one nice performance car that I can take to the track and then go to church in the same weapon. Being top of the time charts isn't a big consideration.
    Your priorities sound very similar to mine... so I'll add in my $0.02:
    I've had the V out on Mosport's Grand Prix Track once and it is without a doubt, an extremely capable track car. Compared to my '98 Camaro SS which is set up for road courses, I'd describe the V as almost effortless to blast around a track in. The Camaro is much more visceral and it affords far more sensory input to the driver than the V. I find the Camaro much more of a handful and less forgiving than the V. That being said, the V is faster around a high speed track like Mosport.
    I would think twice before taking the V out on a smaller, tighter, lower speed track or autoXing it - simply because of its weight and how that can impact "consumables". Lower speed venues don't seem to be the car's forte, but the higher speed tracks are definitely where the car stands out and it can demonstrate use its power to the max. Besides, I've been driving Mosport for about 6 yrs. and I'm spoiled! It's a great track that has a beautiful flow to it and it is actually very easy on tires and brakes. It's almost seems as if the V was built for that track!... and no problem running 42-45 PSI in the fronts to save the edges. With both my son and I driving the V around that track for most of a day, there is some wear on the edges of the front tires, but you have to look closely to see it. We were running about 43 PSI front and 39-40 PSI rear.

Best regards,

Elie

Quote Originally Posted by garfin View Post
    Your priorities sound very similar to mine... so I'll add in my $0.02:
    I've had the V out on Mosport's Grand Prix Track once and it is without a doubt, an extremely capable track car. Compared to my '98 Camaro SS which is set up for road courses, I'd describe the V as almost effortless to blast around a track in. The Camaro is much more visceral and it affords far more sensory input to the driver than the V. I find the Camaro much more of a handful and less forgiving than the V. That being said, the V is faster around a high speed track like Mosport.
    I would think twice before taking the V out on a smaller, tighter, lower speed track or autoXing it - simply because of its weight and how that can impact "consumables". Lower speed venues don't seem to be the car's forte, but the higher speed tracks are definitely where the car stands out and it can demonstrate use its power to the max. Besides, I've been driving Mosport for about 6 yrs. and I'm spoiled! It's a great track that has a beautiful flow to it and it is actually very easy on tires and brakes. It's almost seems as if the V was built for that track!... and no problem running 42-45 PSI in the fronts to save the edges. With both my son and I driving the V around that track for most of a day, there is some wear on the edges of the front tires, but you have to look closely to see it. We were running about 43 PSI front and 39-40 PSI rear.

Best regards,

Elie
    In my M3 I was schooled by a prepped Camaro SS. Granted my M3 was stock but that guy could DRIVE!

I don't have any intentions of autox'ing and read from your post that the weight will brutalize the tires. Mosport sounds is a fast track. I run either TWS or MSR Houston. Each have their tight sections. I imagine tire pressure, as you mentioned, is going to be critical. How does the suspension hold up? A lot of lateral movement?

Ever since I watched DTM in the 90s I was infatuated with sedans that go fast! The V really intrigues my track compulsion.

If anyone who reads this is in Houston and going to a trackday I would LOVE to go for a ride!!

Z06ified is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Thunder Grey, Manual, Ultraview, Recaros, Wood

I'm going to find out in less than 2 weeks when I take my V to Monticello as part of a NASA HPDE. I'm curious as to how it will perform relative to my '02 Z06, which I currently have nearly all of my track time in, and has been a phenomenal track car. I know the weight will be a factor as I'm looking at almost exactly 1,000 lbs. heavier than my Z06. But I think the better steering and feedback from the chassis, coupled with the magnetic ride control and huge torque of the LSA will compensate for the weight issue. I'll post my thoughts after I try it.

Fubar75207 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Short-Throw View Post
    You're joking.....If you don't have the optional diff cooler forget it. Those that don't have the diff cooler and haven't experienced any issues are simply not driving the car very hard. That being said it's still a blast to drive on track as any car is.
    I agree the 45lbs of tire pressure sounds like a bad idea but I can honestly say I've never tried it. As for the trans cooler, I disagree. I was very cognizant of trans temp and it stayed in an acceptable range. The motor was a different story.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.