How does the V work at the track? - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, How does the V work at the track? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Little dose of reality. Thanks Jim....
    Cabretti is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

Re: How does the V work at the track?

Little dose of reality. Thanks Jim.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Anytime I see bad things at the track, there was usually some fatal flaw. If you have a good instructor, many of those mistakes can be taught to avoid.

jenlain is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 Vagon

Quote Originally Posted by Cabretti View Post

Now for the fun part. Any cool horror stories? Ya know. The guy that came out to the track with his new overpowered sedan and puts it in the wall or worse?

Have seen very few issues at the track and most events are very safely run. The really new drivers aren't usually as much of a problem as those who have been to a few events and think they are experts. The only issues I saw this year were at Barber on a very cold day. Very technical track that requires precise braking. There were crashes in several of our track sessions. Most could be avoided if drivers slowed down or pulled into the hot pit for a moment to collect their thoughts before getting back onto the track.

jessrayo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

I just did a track day at Eagles Canyon Raceway and was a little disappointed in the durrability of the Cadillac. On the positive there was not a car on street legal tires that was even close to Caddy on a lap time. And in defense of this car, the track is brutal. All of the straights are 2000ft or less and most of the turns are hairpin. Alot of the brake zones are on downhills just to make it more interesting. I had four 30 minute sessions and only stayed on the track for one complete session, the other 3 ended in brake failure, the only session I completed was with "fresh" Motul 660 brake fluid and even then I had the temp light on for the rear diff the last laps. My car is boosted to 571 rwhp but stock brakes could not handle a difficult track. Plus I completely destroyed the PS2 rears drifting out of most of the corners in competition mode. It was a very expensive weekend but fun. If I ever run that track again I will need a diff cooler, race pads, fresh brake fluid and probably track tires just to further rub salt in the Porsche drivers wounds.

ctsvracingalan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Silver CTSV Sedan

I have been on track for over 3 years with my V still going strong, I post videos at CTSVRacing.com. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. I can tell you our cars do really well on track but you do need to some mod.

Alan@CTSVRacing.com

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    The car is heavy and the brakes are enormous. The stress on them is huge. I think, much more than the V1, these brakes need to have fresh fluid and proper pads if you're on a tight track.

I bought my TSWs for under $1000, delivered. Used track tires run me under $100 per, delivered. MUCH CHEAPER in the long run...

Z06ified is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Thunder Grey, Manual, Ultraview, Recaros, Wood

Quote Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
    I just did a track day at Eagles Canyon Raceway and was a little disappointed in the durrability of the Cadillac. I had four 30 minute sessions and only stayed on the track for one complete session, the other 3 ended in brake failure, the only session I completed was with "fresh" Motul 660 brake fluid...
    In defense of the V, the owner's manual does state that you should replace the brake fluid with a higher boiling point type if you intend to track the car, which is in fact needed as you saw first hand (changing to Motul 660 solved the problem). Since it is documented in the owner's manual, I wouldn't fault the car for this as a durability issue.

and even then I had the temp light on for the rear diff the last laps.
    This one I give you as a durability issue, and this one pisses me off too. The car should have come from the factory with a diff cooler. No question. GM screwed up here. Especially now that the Camaro ZL1 has one, and even the European CTS-V's have them.

Plus I completely destroyed the PS2 rears drifting out of most of the corners in competition mode.
    Again, not the fault of the car. Drifting can be fun, and it is relatively easy to do in the V, but it's not the fastest way around the track, and it gets expensive with the rear tires quickly. You gotta pay to play (especially with a 4,200 lb. luxury car)!

...just to further rub salt in the Porsche drivers wounds.
    LOL - I like the way you roll!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.