How does the V work at the track? - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, How does the V work at the track? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Brake fluid? No. Optional diff cooler? probally not, but I'd ask....
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Re: How does the V work at the track?

Brake fluid? No.

Optional diff cooler? probally not, but I'd ask.

ekyub is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    Brake fluid? No.

Optional diff cooler? probally not, but I'd ask.
    Thank you! Cheers.

Cts-vX6mZR1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 2011 sedan 6sM

I track my cars regularly. The v is a beast on the track with excellent steering, stability, breaks, and of course power. I track my ZR1 and X6M as well. Of course I feel the weight of the car, but it does not spoil the fun and the control of the car.

veloce is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

You really can't understand how good these cars perform untill you get them on the track . I went to the Cadillac Driving Academy in Oct of 2011 at Spring Mtn. Raceway in Nevada. They had great Q&A sesssions and were available all day to answer q"s. Here's what they said they did to track these cars all day long with no problems. 1. Put in High Temp. Brake Fluid.. 2. Two Piece Rotors. 3. Rear Diff Cooler. Thats it ! BTW during lapping one of my instructors would say to me " now rotate the car " I would highly recomend the Cadillac Driving Academy to anyone. The price and school can't be beat. Jeff

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    yeah... I'm thinking it's not, GM tells the regular vette guys to put another quart in when playing around, and you're approaching Z06 levels of grip. Grand sports with the plain LS3 come with a dry sump these days..
    I've always added between .5-1 quart when I'm on the road courses...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    I've always added between .5-1 quart when I'm on the road courses...
    Might be fine with just a quart, I just don't know.
    Do you bother with autocross? I thought about it, but I don't think I've seen more than 1.1, and usually you're only on there for 2 minuites at a time..

I've autocrossed quite a bit. The V is no going to be a top competitor, but you'll know more about your car in a safe environment than anyplace else.

Cabretti is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

Very cool thread. BigJim...Monticello looks really nice.

It IS really nice...

Waterford Hills not so much. You've been there too I see. I haven't even seen the place in 20 years. How about Mid Ohio or anything else around Michigan Ohio. Graatan? That cute little track in New Haven....forget the name.

I live near MIS and Irish Hills Mi.

I've autocrossed quite a bit. The V is no going to be a top competitor, but you'll know more about your car in a safe environment than anyplace else.
    I was talking about bothering to top off with another .5-1quart of oil :P

I autocross almost every opportunity I can, if for any reason, it's because usually I'm the only Cadillac *and* midsized 4300lb sedan there. Always good for a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabretti
    Waterford Hills not so much. You've been there too I see. I haven't even seen the place in 20 years. How about Mid Ohio or anything else around Michigan Ohio. Graatan? That cute little track in New Haven....forget the name.

I live near MIS and Irish Hills Mi.
    My '09 was an automatic around Waterford Hills. 3rd gear only. Eh, it was still fun and the people there are great.

Grattan is a lot of fun and very technical.

I was supposed to run at GingerMan before but had to cancel the trip. I've heard its excellent...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater
    I was talking about bothering to top off with another .5-1quart of oil :P

I autocross almost every opportunity I can, if for any reason, it's because usually I'm the only Cadillac *and* midsized 4300lb sedan there. Always good for a laugh.
    I usually add at the autocross. I spun a bearing in my SHO from oil starvation at an autocross.

I usually add at the autocross. I spun a bearing in my SHO from oil starvation at an autocross.
    Thanks, I'll top it off with a half a quart when I go.
    They're finnaly giving the SHO a new front fascia and 400HP I hear. btw... now only if they'd give it proper brakes and a manual so you can at least toss it around a bit to overcome that boat-like suspension.

My '09 was an automatic around Waterford Hills. 3rd gear only. Eh, it was still fun and the people there are great.

Grattan is a lot of fun and very technical.

I was supposed to run at GingerMan before but had to cancel the trip. I've heard its excellent...

----------

You have been there and done that Jim. I'm impressed. I won't ask you to give advice to new guys wanting to get involved but I am going to look into it. I have no competitive track experience other than fairly extensive drag racing experience. I also worked for a NHRA Prostock team for three years and I do know how to handle myself around race tracks, racers, and pits etc.

I have done ride alongs at MIS in stock cars and this year am planning a full day driving experience/school. Other than that I will contact the raceways and get their requirements.

Now for the fun part. Any cool horror stories? Ya know. The guy that came out to the track with his new overpowered sedan and puts it in the wall or worse?

Yeah, and of all places, Waterford Hills. It was with the SHO owners group and it was a guy who was in a 350Z. It was his first in the Z as he graduated from an SHO. It was on the last turn on the track, which is a long sweeper. He got his outside tires off and tried to get it back on track. Instead of going straight off, correcting was a losing battle half on grass/dirt. The Z never went fully off but once it got back on track, it was 45 degrees from straight and the renewed grip on asphalt sent him nose first into the inner wall.

It was a simple mistake but it shows you can be bit anywhere if you forget and follow a natural instinct to save a car going off.

----------

And that accident was at the start/finish line and they have a viewing tower there. I actually saw it happen right below me. In fact, I was talking to his girlfriend when it happened.

----------

There was also a double dose of badness at V-Day I at Summit Point Shenandoah back in '08. A damp track with a slight kink at the top of a hill on the back straight claimed 2 poor V owners...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.