How does the V work at the track? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, How does the V work at the track? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by garfin I definitely agree! So... I gotta ask... just out of curiosity... is that unopened can metal ...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: How does the V work at the track?

Quote Originally Posted by garfin View Post
    I definitely agree! So... I gotta ask... just out of curiosity... is that unopened can metal or plastic? Given the vintage, I'm guessin' that it's metal. I'm definitetly thinkin' that you and I are from the same focus and generation... and I don't trust the plastic bottles that we get now. The old metal cans were great for preventing moisture osmosis, the plastic bottles, not so much.

Bottom line is that we gotta swap our brake fluid at least at the beginning of the season, and maybe 1/2 way through the season as well, depending on how often we track our cars. Maybe even after each event, depending on how hard we are on the brakes.

Best regards,

Elie
    Metal can, mah man...

garfin is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Metal can, mah man...
    Thanks! Thought that might be the case... just not too sure if I'd be usin' the stuff in that particular can at this stage of the game.. LOL!

Best regards,

Elie

dvandentop is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 09 Silver V 06 Silver Z06

castrol srf in my vette here, only have to worry about bleeding once a year.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

I just got back from Road America Friday and had no issues at all; other than stalling from running low on gas! My differential never got above 210, but it was in the 50s that day too. The brakes worked fine through 4 hard sessions. I started the tires at 43F/40R COLD but I'm sure they went up a bit from the day heating up. After the last lapping session they were at 53F/48R HOT. I used to get some slide at 40/40 COLD, so I'll try 44/44 next time. They stuck like glue too! I had a C5 Corvette, who was behind me tell me that I lifted the RR tire off the ground on the first right hander after the long 3000' front straight. He said it went up more than once and had no doubts. Next up for me is to lower that high back end and a heavier anti-sway bar. That is the ONLY thing that bothered me all day; and the $8.40/gallon of gas!!!! These cars are solid for running hard!

CruzanTom is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V

I have had my 09 V on the track for 4 days. This past weekend I blew by every 350Z and Corvette that were in my group. I kept getting comments like: "I can't believe a Cadillac went by me that fast" and "I tried but couldn't catch you" were common.

The V is heavy. I boiled the stock DOT 3 brake fluid on my second trip and replaced it with ATE Blue DOT 4. The Michelin Pilot Tires do not do well on a road course (excessive wear on outside of front tires). I replaced my front tires with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position and I am doing much better.

Gas milage on the track is about 4.5 mpg.

I think I am hooked.

garfin is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

Quote Originally Posted by CruzanTom View Post
    I have had my 09 V on the track for 4 days.

I think I am hooked.
    I took you that many lapping days to get hooked?!? LOL!

Best regards,

Elie

Quote Originally Posted by CruzanTom View Post
    I have had my 09 V on the track for 4 days. This past weekend I blew by every 350Z and Corvette that were in my group. I kept getting comments like: "I can't believe a Cadillac went by me that fast" and "I tried but couldn't catch you" were common.

The V is heavy. I boiled the stock DOT 3 brake fluid on my second trip and replaced it with ATE Blue DOT 4. The Michelin Pilot Tires do not do well on a road course (excessive wear on outside of front tires). I replaced my front tires with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position and I am doing much better.

Gas milage on the track is about 4.5 mpg.

I think I am hooked.
    My V had less tire wear when running 45psi hot in the front with 40psi hot in the rear...

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    My V had less tire wear when running 45psi hot in the front with 40psi hot in the rear...
    Mine too. When I tried 30-something, they wore fast.

MikeV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 Redline CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Z06ified View Post
    I saw that in the manual too, and I think the manual is crazy, if they're talking about cold tire pressure. 44psi cold will equate to about 53-55 psi hot, which exceeds the maximum pressure rating of the tire. That much pressure will also cause a scary lack of grip and some very squirly handling.

If they're talking about 44 psi hot, then that's OK as a MAX, but I don't think they are.
    FYI, max pressure as listed on the tire sidewall is max COLD. It accounts for increase in temp as tire heats up. Plus there is a LARGE safety factor built in there. Engineers don't trust the general public who are mostly idiots.

- Former automotive engineer

jenlain is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 Vagon

Reviving an old thread since invites are starting to go out for HPDEs later this season. Would like to see some Vs at the track this year, as I will be taking delivery of my vagon shortly (currently driving an E90 BMW that saw plenty of track time last season).

Since there are no Caddy-specific events near me, I plan to tag along with the several BMWCCA, PCA, and PBoC events at Putnam, Mid-Ohio, Barber, and Road America this year. Have also heard great things about Road Atlanta, so may try to take a trip there as well. Anyone else planning to head to the track this year?

For those who have not gone to the track, its a great learning experience and a fun way to meet new people. The events sponsored by the CCA and PCA tend to be very safe and well-run.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

to do some more thread revival-- anyone know what the typical LS wet-sump is capable of in terms of lateral G's before it starts to suck dry air?

I know the E90's is 1.4, and that's with two pickup tubes.

I hope it's more than 1.4...

OldRoadDawg and OldRoadDawg like this.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

yeah... I'm thinking it's not, GM tells the regular vette guys to put another quart in when playing around, and you're approaching Z06 levels of grip. Grand sports with the plain LS3 come with a dry sump these days..

ekyub is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Does upgrading brake fluid and installing the optional diff cooler void the warranty?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.