Cadillac Owners Forum banner
77K views 213 replies 66 participants last post by  6104696 
#1 ·
A concern was the lack of spare in the trunk and since I am on the road all day long I had to make something work.

I bought lots of parts from the Caddy dealer and made a full bolt on kit. I milled out the back of the wheel and made a proper spacer/adaptor to fit.

Check it out, well once again this forum sucks and I cant upload the photos. Why hasn't this feature been corrected?

#71 ·
Wow. Welcome to America, where profit is king. :)

I'd participate in a group buy if there were details.

And I hope GM eventually comes up with an official solution for us.

#78 ·
I emailed the vendor, linking them to the part of this thread in which people are lining up for a group buy. I plan to follow up with a phone call. Hopefully these guys will join the forum and become an official vendor so all is official with the mods here.

Let's get this stuff rolling! ...though hopefully not for $720 shipped...

I want a spare so I don't have to suffer by driving the wife's mommymobile on long trips!

#80 ·
I got a reply 20 minutes after I emailed this morning. Here it is:

(Cliff's for the reading impaired: $75-80 off for a GB, need five people)

Hi Robert thanks for sending us this email. Yes we also would like to make
more of these kits but cost is prohibitive.

First off we only have 1 client with a CTSV so domestic cars are not our
market or target demographic.

As far as pricing goes we will need 5 orders to get the price down. Even at
our listed Ebay auction there isn't a huge markup for us to be made
considering the legwork of picking the parts up, doing machine work and
putting this all together. We listed the kit because our client kindly asked
us to for the guys on forum.

Shipping is approx based on the weight of all parts.

If we get 5 orders I will guestimate a decrease in price of around $75-80
maybe a little more we won't know until we call to order materials and
negotiate with the suppliers. It's easier to set the machines up for a full
day to do these than stop our other jobs to set up for a one time deal. It
just cost us time to do so.

Let us know if you have any further questions. If you can put together the
group order that would be great we just would need payment before we order
up all the parts and materials. We also need to have custom shipping boxes
made from ULINE which also is factored into the price.
When you go to their website, it appears they mostly do European cars and exotics, so I understand when they say M5driver is their only client with a CTS-V.

The only issue I see is that if these guys don't join the forum, we may have to resort to organizing via PM or email so that we don't violate CF rules. Being a moderator at another auto forum, mod approval is very important.

#81 ·
I got a reply 20 minutes after I emailed this morning. Here it is:

(Cliff's for the reading impaired: $75-80 off for a GB, need five people)

When you go to their website, it appears they mostly do European cars and exotics, so I understand when they say M5driver is their only client with a CTS-V.

The only issue I see is that if these guys don't join the forum, we may have to resort to organizing via PM or email so that we don't violate CF rules. Being a moderator at another auto forum, mod approval is very important.
I'd like to have a spare tire, but I'm still a bit uneasy with this product. I have no idea what I'm currently signing-up for.

I'd like to see a full listing of the kit, including part numbers. I want to know what it is that they had to do to justify their price.

If they had to modify the rim, then I certainly want to know that before I have to strap it on my 556 hp vehicle. Is it safe?

Did they have to create some sort of holder for the jack, tire iron, etc, that fits under the rim?

It's been said that a fool and his money are soon parted, and I'm no fool. This is the information that I need to know before I commit $650.

#82 ·
I agree with you. As noted above, cbloveday has requested the info. I'm sure he'll post up when he gets it. I'll try to follow up as well.

#84 ·
^^^^^
Just thinking, referring to your prior post....you won't be using all 556 hp with a spare on, and you probably won't be going faster than 50 mph, as with any compact spare. These guys are probably not going to give all their info away, otherwise they can't make money. At least knowing wheel size and tire brand is reasonable, though, IMHO. As far as safety.....I'm quite sure GM puts lots of miles on spares to judge their safety. No small tuner company is going to put resources into real safety testing. This is yet another reason that I hope that GM eventually puts out a formal solution for us.

#85 ·
^^^^^
Just thinking, referring to your prior post....you won't be using all 556 hp with a spare on, and you probably won't be going faster than 50 mph, as with any compact spare. These guys are probably not going to give all their secrets away. At least knowing wheel size and tire brand is reasonable, though, IMHO. As far as safety.....I'm quite sure GM puts lots of miles on spares to judge their safety. No small tuner company is going to put resources into real safety testing. This is yet another reason that I hope that GM eventually puts out a formal solution for us.
I agree, no doubt I would limp along with a spare on. It was a less pretentious way of saying "my seventy thousand dollar car". ;)

#86 ·
And if I had to drive a long distance, and my rear tire went flat, I would like to put the spare on the front and a stock front wheel on the back so the rear diff won't get too messed up.

I heard the rear wheels do not fit on the front, but do front wheels fit on the rear??? Anyone???????

Also, maybe M5Driver can chime in, with the reduced diameter of the spare, will some warning light come on indicating an ABS failure or stabilitrack failure, because the car knows it's going straight, but it doesn't know why the spare wheel is spinning faster than the stock wheel.

Which wheel does the vehicle speed get sensed???? Or is it from the tranny??? Will our MPH reading get messed up?

How many pages do we have to make this thread so GM will come out with an official spare tire kit???

I received an email from GM a month ago pointing me to a survey about how I liked the car and I clicked one thing about the lack of spare tire and the remaining 20+ questions were about the lack of a spare tire. Anyone else get this????? Maybe they were researching/info mining the demand of the spare for our car. You know what my responses were......

Who's f'n idea was it to not give us a spare???????? I want to meet him and say where's my f'n spare!

G
#89 ·
How many pages do we have to make this thread so GM will come out with an official spare tire kit???

Who's f'n idea was it to not give us a spare???????? I want to meet him and say where's my f'n spare!
Well... they didn't give us one for the 1st gen CTS-V. (runflats)
And they didn't put one in the STS-V or the XLR-V. (runflats)
So I'm not holding my breath waiting for GM to make one available for the V2.

... But I'd buy one if they did.

#93 ·
Well, someone bought the kit that was on eBay. Fess up when you get it!

Still interested in pursuing a group buy, but it looks like it'll have to be offline.

#95 ·
^^^^^^^
that was one of my purposes in emailing these guys. It's easier to have a group buy with these guys as a vendor. I'll pass it on. Even if they pay 20 bucks for only a mo or two they get some profit out of it.

#98 ·
^^^
Please post a picture of it standing next to one of your stock wheel/tire combos--thanks in advance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.