Cadillac Owners Forum banner
77K views 213 replies 66 participants last post by  6104696 
#1 ·
A concern was the lack of spare in the trunk and since I am on the road all day long I had to make something work.

I bought lots of parts from the Caddy dealer and made a full bolt on kit. I milled out the back of the wheel and made a proper spacer/adaptor to fit.

Check it out, well once again this forum sucks and I cant upload the photos. Why hasn't this feature been corrected?

#41 ·
M5, I will buy the tire kit in a heart beat as soon as its available. I totally agree with CBLOVEDAY and ANONFRANk on GM having a spare tire option. All the roads and infrastructure in the U.S are in need of repair, and having a spare tire in the trunk of your V is a valuable asset to have. Especially when you have to go to work on time and can not wait for roadside assistance to show up 2 hours later, and your boss is a jerk who doesn't like you because you have a CTS-V and he doesn't. M5DRIVERNY, please advise us on price,S&H and also if there is a way to pick up directly if you live in the NY/NJ/PA/CONN area. THANX for posting this thread and taking the time for researching and developing the kit. OUTSTANDING INITIATIVE! JOB WELL DONE!

#44 ·
Guys well today the SPARE was a total lifesaver and I got to use it. I recently came back from vacation and noticed on the 5 hour drive home the TPMS of one wheel showing 3 PSI low I assumed it was odd so I tighten the valve stem and the needle in the valve when I arrived home last Tuesday.

Few days passed and everything seems ok. Well today I was with one of my guys from work and we are heading up north about 78 miles. I noticed the car was starting to drift badly to the right after an hour into the drive. I didn't get any vibrations or TPMS warnings at all then Wham the right rear tire just gave out. I was fortunate to have a decent shoulder and help and in 10 minutes flat we were on the way. I had a local service station take a look before the ride home. New tire on order. There was a long nail on the inside of the edge of the shoulder block near the sidewall. The service shop said the tire heated up and caused the sidewall to give way or something

saved my day today with a very important business meeting we could have missed.

Also the guys who will be listing the kit on Ebay said they will get it on by Friday they were just slammed with work and the kid who does the listings has been out sick. hang tight guys. So far this is the 3rd tire nail incident on my CTSV since delivery which is getting annoying. I never had such issues on any other car before. Anyone else have tire issues in the Tri State?

#49 ·
So far this is the 3rd tire nail incident on my CTSV since delivery which is getting annoying. I never had such issues on any other car before. Anyone else have tire issues in the Tri State?
I live in South Jersey and work in Philly. So many times over the years I have gone out to my car (not the V) to go home from work and my tire is low and it's a nail or a screw. Or driving on Philly roads, it's just your average 1/4" dia, 12" long steel rod! (one time)

At one time, three of my tires on my Chevy had 1 plug in there and the other tire had two!

I'm guessing, but I blame it on pick-up trucks on contractors who just throw any old thing in the bed of their trucks and never cover anything and never clean out their beds and these big, brand new (still shiny) nails and screws are in my tires.

So when I get a flat, my method is to position car so nail/screw/rod is near the bottom side, jack the car to slightly above correct ride height, and then I use them cheap plugs. And I have a tire pump in the car too. So I never have to take the tire off and it's fixed in 15 minutes. (Yes, I know the controversy about these plugs.)

But my above method is all fine and dandy, until I get a sidewall hole; and that's where your World's First and Finest "The Original!" CTS-V Spare Tire Kit comes in.

#56 ·
I just bought a new front rim and tire to use as a temporary spare,if this thread was written a month ago,I would have held off in spending so much money. The tire is too big to fit in the trunk space and I really want that spare tire kit to make room in the trunk for other things.

#58 ·
While I would love an update on this aftermarket product, I would like better for GM to come up with an official solution for us.

C'mon GM/Cadillac! Pretty please? We know you listen to us. :D

I am willing to PAY for a spare tire that fits.....

#59 ·
^^^

+1, as evidenced by the fact that I'm willing to PAY for a kludged aftermarket solution now, and would quite likely STILL be willing to PAY for an official factory kit if/when it becomes available. Getting stranded somewhere with a flat that is not inflator-repair fixable is no bueno.

#65 ·
It sure is steep, but having peace of mind is far more priceless than having to worry about what time roadside assistance will arrive. And where the nearest tire shop that has the right size tire is. IMHO it is better to pay for the spare tire now then have headaches, aggrevation and wasted time later.

#67 ·
HEDP-V - Obviously I agree with the merits of having a spare tire. It's the asking price that I disagree with.

I'd be fine with just buying the appropriate sized wheel and the G8 tire emergency kit (link posted above). I figure that will run me about $400 maximum.

I'm not sure I can justify the other $320.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.