Cleaning Suede Wheel & Shiftknob
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Cleaning Suede Wheel & Shiftknob in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; My suede wheel and shift knob have gotten pretty darn dirty and matted over the last 17k miles. I tried ...
    Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

Cleaning Suede Wheel & Shiftknob

My suede wheel and shift knob have gotten pretty darn dirty and matted over the last 17k miles. I tried a couple ways to clean it and found out the best way to do it was to use regular "Dawn" brand dish soap and microfiber towels. Just lather up the microfiber up with water and soap and than brush into where you are cleaning. ALOT of dirt will lift up to the point that you'll think youre lifting the color off. But you're not. Lather it up really good than use another plain wet microfiber towel and just take the soap off. Than every few minutes just rub it down a little with a dry towel to "fluff" up the fiber. Here are the results...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SleepTight is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Auto Black Raven/Ebony

Thumbs up Re: Cleaning Suede Wheel & Shiftknob

Awesome advice and result! Now, what can you do about that oil leak in the Gulf?

Sticky please!

Re: Cleaning Suede Wheel & Shiftknob

Quote Originally Posted by SleepTight View Post
    Awesome advice and result! Now, what can you do about that oil leak in the Gulf?

Sticky please!
    lol, thanks. This suede material is alot more durable than people think and its great to know it can clean up so well.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Personally I wouldnt use Dawn dish soap. Without getting into a big discussion about the PH of Dawn dish soap, Ill just say that I think its just too harsh for the microsuede. Itll clean great as its a detergent, but I fear itll break the the fibre structure, enabling it to 'wear' faster...detergents are very harsh for soft fabrics

Id use a dedicated Alcantara/suede cleaner that foams. Both of these are good products....

http://www.autowerkesexclusive.com/p...ner/index.html

http://www.detailersdomain.com/leath...alcantara.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    Personally I wouldnt use Dawn dish soap. Without getting into a big discussion about the PH of Dawn dish soap, Ill just say that I think its just too harsh for the microsuede. Itll clean great as its a detergent, but I fear itll break the the fibre structure, enabling it to 'wear' faster...detergents are very harsh for soft fabrics

Id use a dedicated Alcantara/suede cleaner that foams. Both of these are good products....

http://www.autowerkesexclusive.com/p...ner/index.html

http://www.detailersdomain.com/leath...alcantara.aspx
    I think the stuff in the caddy is alot hardier than people give it credit for. I cleaned mine at 17k miles, I saw 0 fibers coming off onto the hot pink microfiber towel

nynd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 M5. SOLD:11 BD CTS-V, 6M, Loaded - SOLD:09 CTS-V (Auto)

Good to know at least there is a good method to cleaning the knob and the wheel. -> You can always dilute the dawn further so hopefully it won't be as strong.

Yea it takes a full day usually to dry but today it has that nice brand new look to it where you can just rub the suede and have it "shadow" again

Quote Originally Posted by nynd View Post
    Good to know at least there is a good method to cleaning the knob and the wheel. -> You can always dilute the dawn further so hopefully it won't be as strong.
    Just keep in mind that you should try not to get sueded materials too wet. Thats why a foam cleaner works so well. It can lift grime without wetting.
    Also, dawn is a detergent/soap, and its designed to be flushed with water. This means that if you dont rinse your suede numerous times, you might be leaving residue on the suede, which will attract dirt easier.

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    Just keep in mind that you should try not to get sueded materials too wet. Thats why a foam cleaner works so well. It can lift grime without wetting.
    Also, dawn is a detergent/soap, and its designed to be flushed with water. This means that if you dont rinse your suede numerous times, you might be leaving residue on the suede, which will attract dirt easier.
    I think you might be comparing this to bmw style suede. I actually directly rinsed off my shift knob under the sink and it came out perfectly fine After trying the micro rags on the steering wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
    I think the stuff in the caddy is alot hardier than people give it credit for. I cleaned mine at 17k miles, I saw 0 fibers coming off onto the hot pink microfiber towel
    I was speaking more to long term results. You could be weakening the structure, yet the fabric might maintain its proper function and look right up until it falls apart, like a rusted brake line that functions ok, but falls apart the instant you touch it.

Heres the way I look at it. You wouldnt use a diesel oil in the engine. I wouldnt use a rinsing cleaner on a surface that cant or shouldnt be rinsed.
    Ill make it clear this is just my opinion based on a little research and experience. I am not an expert.

Just my opinion. Id look for a biodegradable APC that doesnt need to be flushed, if youre looking for a local simple effective solution.

Im still skeptical about the long term safety, too...but again, Im no expert.

I think you might be comparing this to bmw style suede. I actually directly rinsed off my shift knob under the sink and it came out perfectly fine After trying the micro rags on the steering wheel
    Sounds like it worked out well for you! I dont know how the actual fiber differs, but Id assume they are fairly similar as they are both microfiber synthetic suedes. They are made by different companies tho...the V's suede is made in the US, while the BMW's Alcantara is made in either the UK or Japan.

You dont mention it, so Im assuming you never saw any dye transfer?

Just to update this thread. I have cleaned my suede on my wheel and shifter again recently ( around 40k miles ) still no dye transfer and it looks great again.

TriTexan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Automobile?? Lake! Big Lake!!

I'm assuming all of this discussion will apply to the auto stick with suede as well? I think the brush is sound - that's always been the way to clean sueded shoes, right? So it seems just some personal prefs around choice of cleaners. The foam stuff seems safest, right? But I've found there's never a great substitute for a full rinsing...either way, the pics tell the story. Thanks for posting - I was wondering myself how to keep that stuff clean. The steering wheel feels great, but I figured it would need a lot more TLC than the rugged cowhide on my old car.

dcc8203 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 V-Wagon on order

Somebody should send this thread over to Car and Driver, who complained about the appearance of the shift knob and wheel after their 40K mile test ride!

Just to update this thread. I have cleaned my suede on my wheel and shifter again recently ( around 40k miles ) still no dye transfer and it looks great again.
    Do you use any type of brush to fluff up the suede, or does cleaning leave it as pictured?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.