Oil Catch Can I've Selected and why
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Oil Catch Can I've Selected and why in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I've 95% decided to buy this catch can and install. It is easily reversible and I will monitor the oil ...
    cbloveday is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Oil Catch Can I've Selected and why

I've 95% decided to buy this catch can and install.

It is easily reversible and I will monitor the oil buildup in the can and the oil level via the engine dipstick to see what is going on.

The reason I'm going with this can is because of the quality, the built in dipstick and the port on the bottom which will aid in emptying. I'll probably go with the black or brushed. I haven't decided yet. I'm leaning toward the black.

I stopped by the dealer today and spoke to their SC guy Chuck and we had a 30 minute discussion on it. Again, easily reversible. Just reconnect OEM Lines

Here is the line to the intake and the breather lines to either bank.

There are various negative effects when excess oil vapor contaminates the intake
    system from the stock PCV system - such as:

*Throttle body and/or MAFS (Mass Air Flow Sensor) malfunction or failure.

*Air filter, intercooler (if equipped) and intake ducting contamination if oil pools and run back out the intake system after engine shutdown.

*Reduced octane of the air/fuel mixture, which can cause detonation and the ECM (Engine Control Module) to retard timing, thereby reducing engine power.

*Excessive carbon build-up on valves, piston crowns, combustion chambers and spark plugs. This also increases the chance of detonation and power loss.

*Increased emissions & possible contamination of catalytic converters and oxygen sensors.

Bottom line: Excessive amounts of oil vapor in the intake manifold is detrimental to
    your engine!

The Can:

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/catego...catchcans.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

09V
    09V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS V

Re: Oil Catch Can I've Selected and why

Looks like a real nice piece. I may have to invest in one myself. Maybe you can "test" it.

Seems like this has not been done, so I will test it and then record the mileage and empty after say 1,000 miles with a photo of the amount of oil
    captured. Looking forward to see what the results are.

Fubar75207 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V

I would just let it drain out to the ground. I have a friend who recently got into a hydro-lock scenario because he failed to empty the drain canister in a timely manner. Emissions are stupid... Gore is full of shit, we need more petrol

Gary Wells is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles

Will make a nice addition to your already beautiful motor compartment, Curtis.

Not comfortable letting it drain to the ground.

1.) Don't want oil on underside of car
    2.) This can has a dip stick! So won't get too full before being checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Wells View Post
    Will make a nice addition to your already beautiful motor compartment, Curtis.
    Thanks Gary!

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

Good stuff Curtis ! , keep us updated on this

Can arrives tomorrow. I will post pics of install and once some miles are put on it, will post pics of amount of oil collected.

mpouls1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '09 V 11.99@118mph, '11 Tahoe LTZ, '03 Silverado, '00 Jetta

I am interested to see what happens. I've always wondered why don't the manufacturers just install something like this. Are they too lazy or cheap? I look forward to seeing the results. I'm sure it will be a great addition to your already beautiful motor.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

Quote Originally Posted by mpouls1 View Post
    I am interested to see what happens. I've always wondered why don't the manufacturers just install something like this. Are they too lazy or cheap? I look forward to seeing the results. I'm sure it will be a great addition to your already beautiful motor.
    would you trust car owners to routinely check the catch can before it overfills ? Seems like alot of people nowadays dont even know how to check their own tire pressure....It would be a nice "side option" though.

Prof is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

High horsepower vehicles with forced induction have some blow-by. I think as long as we have cooler/damper weather you will get some condensation in the catch can and a small amount of oil spray. You will probably have a few drops of oil in the condensation...my truck catch can needs to be drained every 4 or 5 hundred miles this time of the year, I get possibly a half a cup of moisture with a little congealed oil in it.

I have a tube that allows one to read the level of the moisture in the can...depending on your success I may add one to the V2 since I have done the Lingenfelter upgrade too.

(Curtis, I should have a package for you early next week!)

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Curtis,

Nice piece. But honestly your fender well is thinking some really crazy shit.

Any thoughts about contacting billet tech? They do some really nice stuff for the LX/LY guys.
    Attached Images

Chris,

Love the engine bay. I thought about Billet technology. However I wanted something that you didn't have to unscrew to check the oil level or empty.

I had one from Billet Technology on my 300 SRT8 and wanted something different this time.

IBNR is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V (Silver over Black Recaros)

Curtis: Will you post install/results in this thread? Seems like a mandatory *subscribe*!

Thanks for taking the lead here....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.