How to get the best launch/ET's
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, How to get the best launch/ET's in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Well, Ill just have to swallow my pride and say I'm a crappy driver. I went to the drag strip ...
    mannyz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS(Sold) Black 09 V

How to get the best launch/ET's

Well, Ill just have to swallow my pride and say I'm a crappy driver. I went to the drag strip this past weekend for the first time and expected to at least run somwhere in the 12's. Best time was a 13.5 @113. Fastest 60ft was about 2.45 and slowest being around 2.7. Ironically, my traps got better even with those launches. I have many questions since Im a newbie at this. I do know about dropping the tire pressure down to about 26 on PS2s and I completely ignored that. How much of a difference would it make on traction? I played around with TCS and suspension. Whats the best setup? First time I left it on and the car kept cutting off power so I turned it off for the second run and played with the throttle. If I didnt spin, I bogged the launch. I believe I was launching at 3k RPMs but not too sure. I know the car is capable of much better times but I need some advice. I searched but no one really touches the subject head on. Just a note....The air temperature was a cold 40 degrees without windchill. It even snowed on the track (and dried) in between runs. Ill post the slips when I get home. I plan on trying again on sunday since its going to be high 50's to low 60's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Re: How to get the best launch/ET's

Plenty of threads on this, but your primary issue is that the PS2s won't hook up with air temps as cold as you were in (40 degrees, wow!). The PS2s have a hard enough time hooking up with warm air temps, I can't imagine them hooking up when they are hockey pucks at 40 degrees. Also, the track prep could not have been good if it snowed.

I think you'll do better by default if you go when it's warmer.

PS I'm a noob, too. I'm planning on heading to one of our local dragstrips soon myself to better my sucky 12.7 time from last fall.

I hear you brotha. Im not even too sure if I should go out with 50-60 degree temperatures. I heard hear say that you can actually warm the tires with a quick burnout but nothing major. Does this work for street tires (PS2s)? But you are right, my problems were mainly traction. BTW, I drive a manual.

gnxs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Definitely agree with anonfrank on air temps around 40 and the PS2's, but not his comment about how they work in warmer temps.

IMO for a street tire they work very well in warm air on a decent dragstrip. It's going to be alot trickier for you since you're driving a stick and don't have the advantage of the tq. converter softening the hit to the tires, but I think in good weather you should see sub 2.0 60 fts. with some practice. There's one or two guys here with manual transmissions that have had success at the track on the PS2's, you might want to try and find their posts.

Mike 09 V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 SRX; 09 V

I went out with temperatures about 40 and had the same problem. Tires won't stick when it's cold. My best run was when I started in normal drive (2nd gear) at idle. I still got some spin but not as bad. A friend of mine said that your ET will drop double what you can get on your 60' time. In other words, for every second off 60' you get 2 secs off ET. I'm going out again now that its warmer. Have to buy a helmet though.

Tedboss1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV Auto

Read the thread, most of the times and tips are for auto.

mpouls1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '09 V 11.99@118mph, '11 Tahoe LTZ, '03 Silverado, '00 Jetta

Quote Originally Posted by mannyz View Post
    Read the thread, most of the times and tips are for auto.
    I believe you posted a thread on the no lift shift. You have a manual, yes?
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ift-shift.html

Hows that working for you? I don't have a manual but I do have the PS2's and my best runs were around 55deg F with a 15mph headwind. Let the temperature warm up a little. My motor loves fresh cool air. I also did a small burnout just to warm the tires up a bit. Sounds like you are on the right track, literally.

Yep yep that was me. Well, I haven't tried that technique at the track yet. If I cant even hold traction granny shifting then there's absolutely no way Id be able to using the no lift technique. I lost traction going into third that made me pucker. I went sideways so I had to let off. It should be around 60 degrees this Sunday so Ill give it a try. Practice practice.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

Thats the downfall. Anything below 70 the tires get harder and the car runs stronger = lots o' spinning.

Well, Since its going to be close to 20 degrees warmer then Ill give it a shot. If not, Ill just wait until it get in the 80s. I debated getting the right drag radial set up for the job but I don't want to break anything with bad launches.

mpouls1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '09 V 11.99@118mph, '11 Tahoe LTZ, '03 Silverado, '00 Jetta

Now that I think of it in the 1/4 mile your last gear at the line would be 3rd? So I guess the no-lift-shift wouldn't make much of a difference. I can't imagine a manual. Hard enough with auto. Good luck.

Cub Cadet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6spd MANUAL

Try not launching at such a high rpm. Launch it off idle like you would on the street and roll into the throttle. That has worked the very best for me. You should be able to net a 1.9x 60' going that route. Also, it is pointless to warm the street tires up. A quick spin will knock off any debris.

Jpjr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Cub Cadet View Post
    Try not launching at such a high rpm. Launch it off idle like you would on the street and roll into the throttle. That has worked the very best for me. You should be able to net a 1.9x 60' going that route. Also, it is pointless to warm the street tires up. A quick spin will knock off any debris.
    ditto - if i try and launch at 3k with my stick i just get a bunch of wheel hop and end off letting off the throttle until it hooks.

one thing i am going to try and do is launch out of second on the street. i think if i can avoid bogging it should work better.

just to add some perspective, the cars rear tires aren't anywhere close to as meaty as a vettes. the lack of tire width alone is a killer when you have a car that has over 550hp.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Yeah, warmer temps don't help much...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.