An Ironic Observation About My D3 Springs
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, An Ironic Observation About My D3 Springs in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So prior to lowering, I quite frequently drove with the suspension in Sport mode, and actually preferred this setting to ...
    Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

An Ironic Observation About My D3 Springs

So prior to lowering, I quite frequently drove with the suspension in Sport mode, and actually preferred this setting to Touring (maybe 60-70% of daily driving was in Sport.) However, Touring was actually very pleasant in most situations, it's just that I preferred the extra firmness of Sport. I assumed that after my springs were installed, I would not have to switch into Sport as much because my logical line of thinking was that Touring would inherently be stiffer after lowering. So after having the springs on for a few weeks (no regrets at all) I've noticed that the Touring setting is practically unbearable unless I'm on the smoothest of roads. What I've observed is that after lowering, Touring feels initially stiffer (like when you first hit a bump) but the car tends to bob up and down a LOT more than Touring did pre-lowering. So what I've found is that I'm now driving in Sport mode close to 100% of the time because I can't stand the way the car floats and bobs in Touring.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Tony

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: An Ironic Observation About My D3 Springs

hmm...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

That has to be spring rate issues.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Indeed. An interesting observation.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

The fact that you're on 20's also has a huge impact

Quote Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
    The fact that you're on 20's also has a huge impact
    I disagree. It will have a small impact on jounce and rebound. It will add to impact harshness, sure, but very little to the spring and shock's ability to do its job...

Umrswimr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by rjoffe View Post
    That has to be spring rate issues.
    :iagree:

I take it no one else with D3 springs has noticed this? I'm definitely not imagining it. I have tons of speed humps (the big ones that you can take at about 30-35 mph but not much faster) near my house. Before lowering the car I could drive over these in Touring mode and get a bit of body motion after driving over them, but not a lot. Of course, even less motion when in Sport. With the D3 springs, I get almost zero body movement after driving over them in Sport (which was expected) but in Touring I get twice what I did before (not expected.) It's just weird.

I wonder if the magnetic ride has something to do with this? Could the decreased ride height be screwing with whatever algorithm the ECM uses to change the electrical signal to the struts? I assume the computer continually monitors the compression or position of the shocks.

Maybe I should disconnect the system temporarily to see what, if any difference it makes. Has anyone disconnected the wire connectors on top of the strut towers? Will this throw a code or require a reset by the dealer?

Tony

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

Tony, I've been away on business lately so I've only had about 5 days behind the wheel since she's been lowered, but I haven't noticed any overshoot/2nd and 3rd bounces over the few speed bumps you can cruise over like at 25 MPH or so that I've encountered. Same with popping up on to those freeway overpasses where the car significantly unweights going like 70-80 MPH. I also sense no appreciable increase in step-out over an expansion joint bump on this slightly positive-camber ramp I usually take around 55-60 MPH. All this is in Touring mode. OEM 19s. Sorry, hope you get to the bottom of it...

v4meinsandiego is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

I kinda know what you mean. Although maybe not to the same extent you are stating. I drive mine most of the time in touring and its a more pronounced springy type feel than stock form. I do use Sport mode "more often" now than I did when in stock mode because I feel if I am doing any aggressive driving the control is much better in sport. In stock mode, touring felt more controllable. Now I feel Sport is needed more of the time to control the car and feel confident in more aggressive driving.

The bottom line is lowering springs change the dynamics of all cars. Period. But, I love the look WAY better than stock and the driving characteristics changed only minimally so in my book on the V its a must. Its hard to say that about any lowering kits made. Most alter the car so much in ride quality they are not worth it.

B.T.W. - I have 19's myself and have had the springs on my car from the day the first orders were shipped out from D3. Plenty of seat time.

Thanks for everyone's input.

This brings me to the obvious question: Is there a way to set things so that Sport mode comes on by default?

Tony

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

If it's one of the "personalizable" options, maybe you could try setting it, then saving your settings (1 or 2)?

Gary Wells is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles

Quote Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post

This brings me to the obvious question: Is there a way to set things so that Sport mode comes on by default?

Tony
    I think that I've read on here that can't be done, on either of the 3 grannycontrols: tranny, suspension, or traction control.

nradcad is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 V B-B

mine haven't shipped yet... Been at least 3 weeks since I've ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post

Tony
    Do you have to turn a key? Do you have to move a shift lever? Do you buckle a seat belt?

Push the button for Sport...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.