An Ironic Observation About My D3 Springs - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, An Ironic Observation About My D3 Springs in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I put over 100 miles per day on my V, commuting for work. I honestly can't feel the difference between ...
    Nine Ball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V, 07 Escalade (sold), 08 CTS DI (sold)

Re: An Ironic Observation About My D3 Springs

I put over 100 miles per day on my V, commuting for work. I honestly can't feel the difference between stock and D3, and I usually have a good seat-of-pants meter. I'm just glad it still rides smoothly, other (numerous) cars I've lowered ride a lot more stiff. I don't mind that in those sports cars, but I wanted my Caddy to keep the smoothness.

wfo
    wfo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Tuner car fanatic..there all good!

I agree with you Tony. My guess there is about a 15% reduction in (to the softer) spring rate. I use sport mode, but, don't mind it too much in touring. I "might" even entertain at some point a nice set of coilovers. There are many great cars out there with aftermarket coilover upgrades. I've experienced the ride quality and know of their versatility; some with as many 16 or more personal setting, all easily accessible. I don't mind the ride on rails affect either. Just a thought, not a definite.

I know I'll get some flak for this because, well, GM did spend time and money to create this MR setup. But to me, lowering this particular car is essential to my enjoying it 100%. Evertime i see these cars raked that much and so much clearnace over the wheels I can't stand it. Just me.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Oh no, bad rake!!!

Caddyscat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V, Radiant silver, Loaded, Auto

you would think that since this car has MR shocks, nobody has looked into reprogramming the system to work with aftermarket springs.

6DN69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Wells View Post
    I think that I've read on here that can't be done, on either of the 3 grannycontrols: tranny, suspension, or traction control.
    Jesse at Wait4Me may be able to mod the default settings using one of his interface boxes…he’s probably working on that now. I know I would like the car to stay in sport mode and tracon off.

Ross L is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

Lowered is cool, but I have no problem with the stock ride height. There is very little clearence around the tires compared to any other car I've had. You want to see crazy clearence, remember the 94-95 Mustang GT. Looked like a 4 wheel drive. Thinking back, I've lowered every car I've had.lol. The V is staying stock.

DrumStix is offline Cadillac Owner
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by wfo View Post
    I agree with you Tony. My guess there is about a 15% reduction in (to the softer) spring rate.
    They are 30% stiffer.

DrumStix is offline Cadillac Owner
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Caddyscat View Post
    you would think that since this car has MR shocks, nobody has looked into reprogramming the system to work with aftermarket springs.
    Yup, since shocks dampen springs.

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

How much additional weight do you think was added with the stereo system you had installed? Have you seen any "Service Suspension" lights pop up?

Looking forward to getting to the bottom of this.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
    I take it no one else with D3 springs has noticed this? I'm definitely not imagining it. I have tons of speed humps (the big ones that you can take at about 30-35 mph but not much faster) near my house. Before lowering the car I could drive over these in Touring mode and get a bit of body motion after driving over them, but not a lot. Of course, even less motion when in Sport. With the D3 springs, I get almost zero body movement after driving over them in Sport (which was expected) but in Touring I get twice what I did before (not expected.) It's just weird.

I wonder if the magnetic ride has something to do with this? Could the decreased ride height be screwing with whatever algorithm the ECM uses to change the electrical signal to the struts? I assume the computer continually monitors the compression or position of the shocks.

Maybe I should disconnect the system temporarily to see what, if any difference it makes. Has anyone disconnected the wire connectors on top of the strut towers? Will this throw a code or require a reset by the dealer?

Tony

Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Design View Post
    How much additional weight do you think was added with the stereo system you had installed? Have you seen any "Service Suspension" lights pop up?

Looking forward to getting to the bottom of this.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac
    30 pounds for the sub, and probably another 20 or so in sound deadening, amplifier, etc. No service lights.

I got your email and will try to look into it more this weekend.

Tony

wfo

Dr Design...Gurus's at D3..

Sent PM on the "service suspension" message on DIC.

Look forward to your response.

wfo

Quote Originally Posted by DrumStix View Post
    They are 30% stiffer.

Drumstix...is info from D3?

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

My ride has been great so far. Only minor issue I might have and will have to see more into over time is that when I accelerate/ specifically downshift, hit throttle and than hit a bump I'll actually "hop". Not too fond of that. We'll see if this is a rare incidence or a side effect with the springs. It did not occur with the oem's that I can recall.

wfo

Quote Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
    The fact that you're on 20's also has a huge impact
    Nope, nothing to do with it.

Pure and simply the springs themselves. I have them on mine and detect what he is saying. It's not a negative in my opinion. But it is there.

Now, on the other hand, if and when I start to get trouble codes or illuminated messages to "service suspension" sent across my DIC and no solution to fix same, then it's time to try something else.

I've sent D3 a PM with a question about this and they respomnsed that they experienced the "service suspension" illuminated message across the DIC only once..

...Devils advocate talking now....Why is it that companies only experience things just one time?...Is that posssible?...maybe so.

Anyway, to their credit, Dr Design's notes to were/are to "check the shock sensor connectors and make sure they are securley fastened".

Side note: I was in on the first go round/deliveries of these springs when they first came to market and very excited to get them as it lowers my car just where I want it. But I only want it there if I can get the "no-compromise ride" performance they/D3 assure me/us we can expect.

I will report back.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.