Cts-v front license plate solution
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Cts-v front license plate solution in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; For nearly a year, I have wrestled with whether or not to permanently mount a front license plate on my ...
    Country is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Cts-v front license plate solution

For nearly a year, I have wrestled with whether or not to permanently mount a front license plate on my CTS-V. I have had two $50 tickets (issued while I was legally parked in Chicago) for no front plate and vowed to mount a plate if I received another ticket. Then I came up with the following solution and it works brilliantly.

Buy two 1.5” screws of a thickness that just fits through the plate holes. Angle the screws downward and outward and bond them to the license plate with a quick-set epoxy. When dry, you can quickly mount the plate any time you want.

Gently curl the plate so the screws are straight and slide them through two openings in the grill. When you let go, the plate straightens and the angle of the screws guarantees a secure fit. Yet the license plate can be removed as quickly as it was mounted by bending it again and sliding the screws out and up.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cbloveday is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Cts-v front license plate solution

Brilliant!

For the platemod gen II, I would attach some sort of material to the screws and plate at the point where they come in contact with the grill to avoid chaffeing.

Very ingenious, my only concern would be about thieves who take a good look and realize it would be too easy to swipe that plate.

Country is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I have installed and uninstalled the plate at least 10 times and there are no visible marks on the grill. Maybe if I used a magnifying glass, I could see scratching, but otherwise it is not noticable. The threads on the screw help to lock the plate in place.

As far as thievery, I don't fear it. Any license plate can be removed with a screwdriver in less than 60 seconds. That said, I am careful to affix the plate when nobody is directly watching.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

I would imagine coating the threads in some sort of rubber sealant and letting dry would further insure scratchless ingress and egress...

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

I did that on my V1 and on my STSv....easy to do!

F

V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too).

Gotta love the JB Weld.

FSTCADY is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CST-V

Just ordered my 2010 V so I am just starting to think about how to handle the front plate. Is it possible to use a magnet as a solution when the car is parked or is the grill not metal?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Not metal.

AZstar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '09 CTS-V

This is a great idea. Since I just got pulled over and issued a ticket for the tint on the windows of my Prius being too dark, I think my luck with bucking the front license plate law may be running out. Of the 5 cars that I drive regularly, my Prius is the only one that has a front license plate attached. Thank goodness or I would have ended up with another ticket.

clubho is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V, 2010 EXT, former 09 CTS-V, 06 EXT, 05 CTS-V

i used small white zipties (my plate is white so it's invisible) and put insulation foam on the back of the plate so it would not scrach anything.

rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AZstar View Post
    This is a great idea. Since I just got pulled over and issued a ticket for the tint on the windows of my Prius being too dark, I think my luck with bucking the front license plate law may be running out. Of the 5 cars that I drive regularly, my Prius is the only one that has a front license plate attached. Thank goodness or I would have ended up with another ticket.
    Ok, help us out, How do you end up with tow diametrically opposed vehicles like the V and a Prius ?

nynd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 M5. SOLD:11 BD CTS-V, 6M, Loaded - SOLD:09 CTS-V (Auto)

Everytime I see that pic of the screw protruding through, I think of the plate falling off the front (after a big bump) and then the screw piercing the tire! LOL! and the plate being wipped back damaging some of the vehicle.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

Quote Originally Posted by rjoffe View Post
    Ok, help us out, How do you end up with tow diametrically opposed vehicles like the V and a Prius ?
    Carbon trading! Think globally, act locally

Noisycow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS-V

I don't think this will work on my 2005 V - the lower grill is a lot narrower(?). Sorry for my ignorance, I believe that is correct (new owner). The AutoZone mount (under the bumper that flips up or the Creative Steel mount look like the only no-drill method for me.

David Nicholas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Help me guys..
    I too hated the thought and looks of screwing a license plate to the front of my V. I bought a "Show-n-Go" electric retractor, but have found that the plate always had to be "showing": Whenever I was driving, when I was parking. Except for when it's garaged, I had to display the plate.

Every way I've tried always looks bad...Does anyone have a good-looking solution for when the plate is displayed..?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.