Cts-v front license plate solution - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Cts-v front license plate solution in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Are you required to have it on the bumper? I used to have it fixed to the lower grille with ...
    chrswk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Sedan

Re: Cts-v front license plate solution

Are you required to have it on the bumper? I used to have it fixed to the lower grille with wire straps, but then I found out that our law is actually very vague (only min./max. distance from the ground and angle is specified). I now have it fixed to the bottom of the passenger side corner of the windshield (inside) with suction cups. I find it the most aesthetically pleasing solution (if there is such a thing for front plates) as it doesn't interfere with the overall design of the car.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

^^^
    Lucky for you. In California, we also have min and max distances from the ground, so I thought about mounting it to the sun visor and flipping it down when it was parked. Unfortunately, the law also stipulates that nothing may be placed over the plate, clear or not (so those plastic covers are illegal, even if they are crystal clear). The windshield would constitute a "covering"

Prof is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AZstar View Post
    This is a great idea. Since I just got pulled over and issued a ticket for the tint on the windows of my Prius being too dark, I think my luck with bucking the front license plate law may be running out. Of the 5 cars that I drive regularly, my Prius is the only one that has a front license plate attached. Thank goodness or I would have ended up with another ticket.
    My family also has this dichotomy...spouse is a scientist and her statement is her Prius...I on the other hand am very confused...my daily driver is a Lingenfelter modified CTS V, and my summer good weather ride is a Ram SRT 10. I believe in environmental responsibility philosophically, but have a difficult time in practice...I have the same conflict about street racing...while I know it is wrong, I am not totally cured of the disease.

I also believe in obeying the law...but none of my vehicles has the front license plate...life is so difficult!

mannyz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS(Sold) Black 09 V

Im going to try this. I'll also try using some heavy duty plastic( or plastic lined) crews instead of metal. Hopefully I dont lose my plate. Its either this or spend $300 on the electric one.

Domsz06 is offline Cadillac Owner
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2007 Z06

really sucks that you guys have that silly law enforced.

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Just pay for the 1-2 tickets per year...

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Thank God I live in Florida.

SNOMODOC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

I have a 2011 CTS-V and mounted the front plate using the bracket supplied but mounted the bracket
    upside down on the lower lip of the lower opening with two screws into the lower black molding. The two
    little fingers of the bracket clip onto the grill to hold the top of the bracket to the grill. Works great and
    looks good!!!

snzuloz is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V / 2004 Porsche CTT

You can borrow these maybe...

aj660 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Coupe (600+rwhp) ; Black Raven, Manual, Recaros

Quote Originally Posted by zero26039 View Post
    My court date is next month. Is there a chance of beating this ticket? .
    To honestly answer your question: No

garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

Quote Originally Posted by aj660 View Post
    To honestly answer your question: No
    I've been fortunate enough to beat 3 tickets for front licence plate infractions. The 1st time the cop didn't show, so I got off. The next time was for driving without a front plate and the last time for not having the front plate properly mounted. I had it screwed to the plastic air dam on the Camaro, which is under the car, well back from the leading edge of the bumper.
    In Ontario, you can elect to meet with a J.P. and play "Let's Make a Deal", rather than fight the ticket in court. Usually, the judge will offer you a reduced fine and fewer demerit points, if applicable.
    To get off the last 2 tickets, I elected this option and showed up with "before" (no plate) and "after" pics with the plate on the front of the car. (2nd time with the plate mounted properly) Never mind that it was held on by velcro for the "after' pics... my contention was that the frame had been smashed in a parking lot and the new one was on back order.
    The judge withdrew the charges both times when he saw the pics of the plate on the car.
    An interesting fact that I discovered the last time I was pulled over, was that even though I beat the 2nd ticket, the fact that I had been charged was available to the cop on the police computer, even though no conviction had been registered! When I tried to tell the cop the broken licence frame story... and after he took my D.L. and returned to my car with the ticket, he said, "You were charged for not having a front plate last year. How long does it take to get a bracket?"
    I mentioned that I wasn't convicted of the charge and that I did have my front plate on the car, albeit not mounted where it was supposed to be. The cop said he didn't care and handed me the ticket.

Good luck - maybe the cop won't show up for your case.

Best regards,

Elie

wfo
    wfo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Tuner car fanatic..there all good!

I thought I saw somewhere here on this Forum or Youtube about an electric hideaway license plate holder. When not in use it gently slips under the front fascia...Activated the mechanical armature gently brings the plate back up in front of the lower fascia just in the right place. It didn't appear to be clunky or hang low, very cool.

garfin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

Quote Originally Posted by wfo View Post
    I thought I saw somewhere here on this Forum or Youtube about an electric hideaway license plate holder. When not in use it gently slips under the front fascia...Activated the mechanical armature gently brings the plate back up in front of the lower fascia just in the right place. It didn't appear to be clunky or hang low, very cool.
    Is this it? ...from Swift?
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...nse-plate.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...nse-plate.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2158148

I had the non-motorized version installed on my car (1st and last pics in the post below) and broke it off when I walked by the front of the car and my leg hit it!
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2170276
    Also had a couple of close calls when walking around the car with a hose when rinsing it off after a wash. The hose got caught in mechanism... also wondering how driving it in the winter would effect its operation what with it freezing up and ground clearance. At this, point I haven't replaced the unit yet (got a new one in the garage) and I'm using the stock bracket with 2 zip ties.

Best regards,

Elie

steven1000r is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

Bro my ex's father got a ticket for no front plate when he was in the city. When he went to court the judge said nowhere in the books does it say you have to have the front plate, and he threw it out. Also, use the excuse i plan on using. that you bought the car in penn. where front plates arent required so they never gave you the bracket.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Florida doesn't require front plates, either.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.