Sunroof/Wind Noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Sunroof/Wind Noise in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Picked up my new V at the dealer yesterday and had an opportunity to "get acquainted" with him on a ...
    garfin is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

Sunroof/Wind Noise

Picked up my new V at the dealer yesterday and had an opportunity to "get acquainted" with him on a 100 Km. drive home on the highway. Just an unbelievably awesome machine - what a pleasure to drive! (more later!)
    Playin' around.. pressing this button and trying that setting & havin' a great ol' time... decided to open up the Ultraview at 110 km/hr ( just under 70 mph) and man, was it ever noisy inside the cabin!!
    Now I'm used to 'verts and the T-roof on my 98 Camaro SS, but this just seemed more intrusive than anything I've ever had - much noisier even than driving on the highway in my old '94 SHO with the sunroof open... at least according to my memory. (it's been a while)
    Maybe it was because the temp was hovering around freezing or maybe it's 'cuz I'm just a bit older and my tolerances aren't what they used to be, but I was expecting to be able to cruise on the highway at a reasonable speed with the roof open - in peace!
    Anybody else have a similar impression of the noise level with the sunroof open on the highway, or do I need a readjustment of some sort?

Best regards,

Elie
    '10 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray. No wood.
    ...born Feb./11/10 Home Mar.1/10
    (pics to follow, but it got dirty on the trip home!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Umrswimr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: Sunroof/Wind Noise

All the way open, or open to the first stop?

I find it's fine (at the irst stop) at less than 50 MPH, anything more and it's pretty loud. My C5 'vert is actually less windy, FWIW.

jwa999 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 2009 White Diamond, 996TT Silver, G35 Coupe 6mt, M45S

You're suppose to turn up the music all the way! Didn't you read the manual?

garfin is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray; 07 SRX AWD N*;

Quote Originally Posted by Umrswimr View Post
    All the way open, or open to the first stop?

I find it's fine (at the irst stop) at less than 50 MPH, anything more and it's pretty loud. My C5 'vert is actually less windy, FWIW.
    Yeah... I would have to concur with your assessment here. The noise at 60 mph definitely seems very loud to me. At least I'm not the only one who is thinking along these lines.

Best regards,

Elie
    10 CTS-V Thunder Gray 6MN. No wood.

sefa01 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I find that there's plenty of wind noise with the sunroof CLOSED. Certainly, more than I expected. As someone said, the only cure I've found is to turn the music up louder.

Prof is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

In Chicago, we not only turn the radio up all the way, we also have to turn the heat up all the way too!

nynd is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 M5. SOLD:11 BD CTS-V, 6M, Loaded - SOLD:09 CTS-V (Auto)

I would say its normal... the wind noise is excessive. Sometimes it can also sound like a helicopter taking off, for this you need to crack the rear windows down a bit

RemoWilliams is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

You could try installing one of those sun roof wind deflectors if it bugged you that much. I won't want one on my car though.

Zeagen is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I've noticed the same issue with the loud noise. I also noticed that if you push down on the black plastic piece on the front of the sunroof - the noise level is hardly there - interesting.......

Caddyscat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V, Radiant silver, Loaded, Auto

Yeah, i've got the wind noise as well. Sunroof closed. Checked all the rubber seals to see if they were installed correctly, and they were. I wouldn't have expected this from a luxury car.

Gary Wells is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles

Before throwing up your arms in despair ( I would have by now) and heading off to the dealers, you guys might want to consider doing a search on some of the earlier posts and threads for this issue. There have been some peeps that have lessened the intensity and level of the wind noise by applying a particular type of grease (maybe silicone) to the rubber seals on the sunroof. HTH

Here's ne of the threads that I was thinking of. Do not use silicone grease.
    A product called Wurth grease or greasestick.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ms-here-6.html

Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by Zeagen View Post
    I also noticed that if you push down on the black plastic piece on the front of the sunroof - the noise level is hardly there - interesting.......
    I believe this piece is the diffuser, which is supposed to keep wind from gusting into the car. And yes, I think it's noisy as hell too. Sometimes I ride with my hand up there just so I can have a little peace and quiet. I wonder if there's a way to remove it without adversely affecting the roof's operation?

Tony

Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Wells View Post
    Before throwing up your arms in despair ( I would have by now) and heading off to the dealers, you guys might want to consider doing a search on some of the earlier posts and threads for this issue. There have been some peeps that have lessened the intensity and level of the wind noise by applying a particular type of grease (maybe silicone) to the rubber seals on the sunroof. HTH
    I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but what good is grease or any other type of lubricant going to do about wind noise when the sunroof is OPEN? I mean, I understand the importance of keeping rubber seals moist and pliable regarding wind noise while they're closed, or keeping creaks or rattles at bay, but am I missing something? I'm not sure how many of the 15 pages on the thread you provided (thanks!) has to do with sunroof issues, but I read a few of them and from what I can tell we're talking about two different things.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but what good is grease or any other type of lubricant going to do about wind noise when the sunroof is OPEN? I mean, I understand the importance of keeping rubber seals moist and pliable regarding wind noise while they're closed, or keeping creaks or rattles at bay, but am I missing something? I'm not sure how many of the 15 pages on the thread you provided (thanks!) has to do with sunroof issues, but I read a few of them and from what I can tell we're talking about two different things.

Tony
    Tony:
    Oops, my bad, sorry, Tony, I totally forgot that this thread dealt with noise from an open Ultra-view and not a closed one or one regarding rattles and / or squeaks. So, no-sir, you did not miss anything, I did.

Now, as far as this portion of your statement, could you expand on it a little.
    I am unsure as to whether you feel that I have posted too many posts in this particular thread, another one dealing with Ultra-view noise issues, one that I started, or all of the threads that I have posted in. TIA for any clarification and /or insight that you might add to the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
    ............ I'm not sure how many of the 15 pages on the thread you provided (thanks!) has to do with sunroof issues, but I read a few of them and from what I can tell we're talking about two different things........Tony

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.