Installed Backup Camera (pics)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Installed Backup Camera (pics) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; In keeping with the spirit of modding, I decided to add reverse and forward cameras to the V. This is ...
    Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Installed Backup Camera (pics)

In keeping with the spirit of modding, I decided to add reverse and forward cameras to the V. This is definitely one of the worst cars I've owned in terms of rear visibility, and why GM didn't equip our otherwise well-equipped car with one I have no idea. At the same time, I decided to add a forward camera since I appear to be challenged in the "How far should I pull forward?" department. Since I have my D3 springs sitting in my garage waiting to be installed, I thought it would even be more important to have some forward visibility so I don't destroy the Vs already low front fascia on a curb stop.

Installation took me the better part of the weekend. The forward camera (Mito VN2218) mounted easily beneath the front license plate holder and I routed the wire through the firewall and then back into the trunk, where I have a switching box that provides the necessary switching functions between front and rear camera. (Switching box VS001) The rear camera (Sanyo CCA-BC200) mounted just above the license plate and I routed the wire behind the plate where I drilled a hole into the trunk for wire passage.

I purchased a new rear view mirror made by Gentex that is made for GM vehicles with Onstar. It's also auto-dimming. It has a monitor built into the mirror itself that when not activated, looks just like a mirror. Installation was pretty much plug and play, with some extra wires that also get routed to the trunk-mounted switching box.

I installed a momentary push-button switch on the lower dash near where my right knee usually sits that activates the forward camera. When I come to a parking spot I just use my right hand to activate the forward camera and can consistently park the car within an inch of the curb. Very nice. I'm not sure why I have so much trouble judging the distance I have left, but I do.

The rear camera activates when the car is put into reverse. The image on the mirror has colored lines that do a fairly good job showing the dimensions of your car to help you line up with parking spaces for example, as well as 4-foot and 2-foot marks. And of course, the OEM rear radar sensors are still working too.

I got all the stuff from an online company called Mito Corp. The gentleman I ordered from was very helpful and friendly. The instructions that came with the cameras were very good, but they only helped with their individual installations and not how to get them to work in conjunction along with the switch box. Therefore, one of the technicians hand wrote me a simple wiring schematic that helped me wire the two cameras into the switch box. Now that's great customer service!

Overall the installation was fairly easy in terms of understanding what I was doing. It was however pretty labor intensive. It all works really, really well.

Tony

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Installed Backup Camera (pics)

cbloveday is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Wow, that is really sharp. I think you'll find alot of people wanting to follow you on this mod. May I ask what the cost was?

CTSV_Jim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V

That is really nice. Any way you can scan in the handwritten instructions and post them for others?

-Jim

Cub Cadet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6spd MANUAL

I am glad that it didn't come with one (or both)... would have cost a fortune as an option and looks goofy. The front camera is hidden well since you have a front license plate, but most don't run a front plate and it would definitely be awkward on the front.
    I don't bother even getting close in parking spots. Spots are pretty long these days, and I don't even come close to any curbs. As far as reverse goes, that is why there are the reverse sensors. Rear visibility sucks in these, but the sensors do the job. These sensors prevented me from backing into snow drifts where I park this winter. Rear sensors are great on pickups... helps to easily line up a hitch ball with just the driver.
    So many drivers out there just don't care and are careless about curbs. Most cars are all scuffed up in the front. Used F150 Lightnings are a primary example of how careless people are. Most front ends are trashed - even low mileage trucks... people just don't pay attention.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

^^^
    Another location I've seen for the front camera is below the front splitter, but on our car, yikes...

Quote Originally Posted by cbloveday View Post
    Wow, that is really sharp. I think you'll find alot of people wanting to follow you on this mod. May I ask what the cost was?
    It was about $1,000. Half of that cost was the Gentex mirror.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_Jim View Post
    That is really nice. Any way you can scan in the handwritten instructions and post them for others?

-Jim
    I don't see why not. If someone gets this setup and wants them, just let me know. I don't have a scanner, but I can take a photo of the sheet.

Tony

surgin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): cts v

wow that is outstanding. too bad that i am electronics challenged as well as distance judging challenged! i would prefer a front camera to a rear(as long as i have the rear sensors.

mpouls1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '09 V 11.99@118mph, '11 Tahoe LTZ, '03 Silverado, '00 Jetta

That is impressive. The quality of the image in the mirror is great. Nicely done. The sensors don't seem to be all that intrusive. At a distance most would not even notice I assume.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Stellar job, thanks for sharing.

I'm still hoping for an OEM solution, though. If it doesn't come through, this is a great alternative.

allklr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V

Now that is a great mod! Before my V I had a Lexus LS460L that was lowered and I would have loved having a camera in the front. I have the same problem pulling in. I'm hoping their is an OEM solution to since I think the coupe is supposed to have the back up camera.

Jpjr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I think it is a really cool mod and love when someone does something cool and new. That said, I do think the cameras look a little awkward. Somehow factory installed cameras seem to be barely noticeable. You can't even tell on my wife's truck.

wfo
    wfo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Tuner car fanatic..there all good!

Yup, what you got here is a true cyclops on a hot rod. If you like it, that's all that really matters.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Is there a way to install that front camera behind the grille to hide it better? I see that being knocked off by a big rock.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.