Brake Duct Mod
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Brake Duct Mod in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Little jacking around at a shop You will need to pop a couple of holes in the plastic to get ...
    CadV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): V2

Brake Duct Mod

Little jacking around at a shop

You will need to pop a couple of holes in the plastic to get a zip tie through and mount it to something on the car. If you don't it will just come off.

Never dynoed with it but the idea was to direct the flow of air right into a modded stock box.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Re: Brake Duct Mod

I was wondering if anyone was going to try this. Looks like good work. Of course, the next question is how badly do our front brakes need cooling ducts? Would also be interesting to see this sort of mod with a cold air intake system.

Tony

AZstar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '09 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone was going to try this. Looks like good work. Of course, the next question is how badly do our front brakes need cooling ducts? Would also be interesting to see this sort of mod with a cold air intake system.

Tony
    Judging by the fact that I warped my front rotors at a track day, I would say that the ducting to the front brakes is already inadequate.

SlvrBullIT is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

@AZstar
    You are the first I've heard that has warped their rotors....wow

Silver -V- is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 Cadillac CTS V

I am with AZ Star, I haven't warped a rotor, but I did overheat a pad, and it shredded which put me metal on metal with the pad backing and rotor. That hooked me into a spin and through a muddy infield. Cost for one rotor - $240.00.

If anything we need more air on the brakes. I also have had some serious hot spots on the rear rotors and think we need some vents for the rear brakes.

I was thinking the front duct would get a mod to "open up" the duct a little more, taking some of that diffuser area underneath the duct as where to "scoop" more air. The rear I was thinking I could design a duct but I have since found it hard to find a spot to attach it to the undercarriage.

Do you guys trail brake a lot?

CadV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): V2

I can tell you this putting a high powered fan 20-30mph on that duct will get massive air up into the box. Higher speeds will be insane.

Silver -V- is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 Cadillac CTS V

I'm not getting the heat issues from trail braking, rather from the track we run. Eagles Canyon is notoriously tough on brakes due to the long straights into double apex corners, and then long straights again.

I would like to modify a road course rear brake funnel to the car, but like Silver Bullit mentions, there are no great outboard mounting points.

We also need to remember, this isn't a track dedicated car, but it is a great street car that happens to run well on a track. These just happen to be issues we face with most large heavy sedans that try to double as road course machines. I try to remind myself, this is still a Cadillac 6 days a week, and on the weekend, it is a Porsche/Corvette chaser - BMW beater.

dvandentop is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 09 Silver V 06 Silver Z06

so they can hang with the new m3 at the track that is good to hear

c4ss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, Black

Maybe try taking some of the brake ductwork off a V1 and making it fit into a V2? Just a thought.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

Heeyyyyy where's my credit ? I invented the brake mod for the v =) everyone was telling me that they didnt want to kill airflow to their brakes and now i see everyone pulling it apart. But it does make a huge difference, I got the idea from my jeep srt8 as it had similar front air routing to the calipers. Ideally though what we need is an abs intake pipe (wait4me in the works ) w/ a heat shield of sorts and pulling the brake duct. That will force a ridiculous amount of air into the intake.

Ross L is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

Cooler air to the intake is always best. But IMO it's not possible to achieve increased airbox pressure, even if all four brake ducts were used. The system is a massive vacuume. Removing restrictions is most improtant.
    Ross

Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by Ross L View Post
    But IMO it's not possible to achieve increased airbox pressure, even if all four brake ducts were used.
    Ross
    Exactly. That's what our superchargers are for.

Tony

stl_ls1gto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V wagon M6, 2011 GMC Sierra CCSB 6.2L, 2004 GTO

newb bump

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.