CTS-V Differential Cooler - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, CTS-V Differential Cooler in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; If I remember - without searching back threads - in Canada it was over $5,000 to have it installed!...
    Hawkeye2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Ordered CTS V - ordered 03/13 delivered 06/24!

Re: CTS-V Differential Cooler

If I remember - without searching back threads - in Canada it was over $5,000 to have it installed!

Z06ified is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Thunder Grey, Manual, Ultraview, Recaros, Wood

Wow that's a lot of cash! How much does a whole new differential cost? Couldn't be much more! I think I'll take my chances without a cooler. If I run Mobil 1 full synthetic diff oil, and if I pit whenever a diff overtemp warning comes on, I don't think the diff will be damaged without a cooler on the track.

Still, I wonder why GM didn't integrate cooling fins in to the diff case, like BMW did with the new M3. Seems to work well, and is a simpler, less expensive, and lighter solution.

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Hello,
    Yes, this factory export only part is quite pricey. This is why we have manufactured our own rear diff cooler with functional 1250CFM fan a while ago. If some of you remember we had a image slip out of what the unit looked like. We will post more images soon.

This was the leaked image ^. We are installing another one for a customer after the holidays. We will take more pictures and such at that time. MSRP is $1250 for this COMPLETE SYSTEM. This is a complete plug and play system and will require no permanent modifications to the vehicle (typical D3 fashion). There is also an optional master override switch that can be installed. These coolers are being built to order now. If you are looking for a high quality professional rear differential cooler unit, give us a call.

Please let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

MReiland is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 13 Volt, 2008 Outlook XR (05 CTS Blk/Blk Traded-in)

Quote Originally Posted by Z06ified View Post
    Still, I wonder why GM didn't integrate cooling fins in to the diff case, like BMW did with the new M3. Seems to work well, and is a simpler, less expensive, and lighter solution.
    I'm not a Mech-E but my guess is that it has to do with the Diff housing being cast iron instead of Aluminum. Aluminum with cooling fins can probably shed heat much faster than cast iron. The rear end on the V has to handle a bit more torque than the M3 so maybe that is why they chose the Cast Iron to be bulitproof. My guess anyways.

Z06ified is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Thunder Grey, Manual, Ultraview, Recaros, Wood

Quote Originally Posted by MReiland View Post
    I'm not a Mech-E but my guess is that it has to do with the Diff housing being cast iron instead of Aluminum. Aluminum with cooling fins can probably shed heat much faster than cast iron. The rear end on the V has to handle a bit more torque than the M3 so maybe that is why they chose the Cast Iron to be bulitproof. My guess anyways.
    Yeah, I think you're right. I just read Ed's post about it too, and I didn't realize the diff is cast iron on these cars. I understand the strength benefits of the cast iron, but I think the ZR1 has an aluminum diff (AND a cooler), and it cranks out more torque than the V does, so I'm not quite sure what the deal is. Maybe being part of a transaxle makes it stronger in the Corvette (transmission directly attached to the diff in the back). I know GM didn't want to deal with the differential issues of the V1 again.

Karch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 TG sedan, 6A,LPE 650, and a few more mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Z06ified View Post
    Yeah, I think you're right. I just read Ed's post about it too, and I didn't realize the diff is cast iron on these cars. I understand the strength benefits of the cast iron, but I think the ZR1 has an aluminum diff (AND a cooler), and it cranks out more torque than the V does, so I'm not quite sure what the deal is. Maybe being part of a transaxle makes it stronger in the Corvette (transmission directly attached to the diff in the back). I know GM didn't want to deal with the differential issues of the V1 again.
    With an extra 1000 pounds of weight, the load on the V is probably substantially higher than on the ZR1.

Also, I would imagine there is a good deal of heat generated in the twisties from the differential clutches, if that is the type of limited slip unit that is used. Anytime you have clutch material where friction is involved, heat is generated.

As for the iron vs. aluminum, I think it plays into it, but not sure how much. My guess is really the diff. clutch friction.

JamesPDX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham/2006 CTS-V

Thumbs up Re: CTS-V Differential Cooler

This is a very well designed system, but has a minor flaw. I have built many similar systems for engine oil and transmission fluid used with different vehicles in the past. The fittings should not include any barbed fittings, but rather high quality AN-06/08 push-on fittings with complementary hoses. Steel braided hose ($) is not required for this type of application. This recommendation is an insurance type policy for reliability and longevity of the installation.

Can the individual components of the cooler kit be purchased? It seems that the most costly part of their setup would be the specific pump. Is it available as a single replacement part, and is there a known price tag on the pump? What are the specifications on the pump?

I would imagine the pump to be 90-150, the cooler to be 75, the instrument/switch to be 15, the fan and shroud to be 45, the frame to be 60, and all the AN fittings and hoses to be 40, for an approximate total of less than $500 budget. The labor and availability might raise this estimate some.

JamesPDX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham/2006 CTS-V

Post Re: CTS-V Differential Cooler

With regards to the cast iron differential (beyond the heat issue), part of it's selection may be due to the higher center of gravity in the V as opposed to the vet. The added weight will lower the center of gravity and lessen the probability of roll-over during high speed cornering.

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2015 Escalade on Order

I am really surprised that the diff cooler isn't a factory option that you can order when the car is built. Very odd. To this day, it isn't available.

BeagleBrains is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe

Z52 Performance Package including dry-sump oil system and Differential Cooler is standard on the Corvette Grand Sport. My 2007 Corvette Z51 Option includes a Differential Cooler. GM has the components in hand, only requiring specific wiring, a couple of fittings and brackets to install on a CTS V. WTF!
    No need to reinvent the wheel (Diff Cooler). Existing parts should be very cost-effective for GM and the customer.
    A $3,000.00 price range is rediculous!!!

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Quote Originally Posted by JamesPDX View Post
    This is a very well designed system, but has a minor flaw. I have built many similar systems for engine oil and transmission fluid used with different vehicles in the past. The fittings should not include any barbed fittings, but rather high quality AN-06/08 push-on fittings with complementary hoses. Steel braided hose ($) is not required for this type of application. This recommendation is an insurance type policy for reliability and longevity of the installation.

Can the individual components of the cooler kit be purchased? It seems that the most costly part of their setup would be the specific pump. Is it available as a single replacement part, and is there a known price tag on the pump? What are the specifications on the pump?

I would imagine the pump to be 90-150, the cooler to be 75, the instrument/switch to be 15, the fan and shroud to be 45, the frame to be 60, and all the AN fittings and hoses to be 40, for an approximate total of less than $500 budget. The labor and availability might raise this estimate some.
    Yes to all in another thread. I would never spend $2K on this!

tccaux is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

The GM cooler is now on back order with no ETA on next release. Latest from gmpartsdirect and local parts dept.

MReiland is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 13 Volt, 2008 Outlook XR (05 CTS Blk/Blk Traded-in)

I will look into the availability this week with the parts Guru to get the lowdown.....

jzchen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '85 Sedan de Ville, '10 CTS-V

Any updates? Someone mentioned a switch. Does this mean you turn it on when you need it or is everything automatic? I have a primarily street car, don't want driveability issues... Thanks anyone for clarifying.

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Hello,
    We do offer a optional switch if users do require such a feature. The primary system is activated automatically and requires zero user interface. No drivability issues at all as we have had them installed on cars for a couple of years now (street & track).

Please let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
    Any updates? Someone mentioned a switch. Does this mean you turn it on when you need it or is everything automatic? I have a primarily street car, don't want driveability issues... Thanks anyone for clarifying.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.