Rear end fluid change - not happy
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Rear end fluid change - not happy in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I just finished changing the factory gear oil at 789 miles. It had exactly ONE quart in it! This is ...
    demorgan59 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Rear end fluid change - not happy

I just finished changing the factory gear oil at 789 miles. It had exactly ONE quart in it! This is about half of what the fill should have been. If anyone is driving around on their factory rear end fluid I would strongly suggest checking the level. Attached are some pics of the magnetic plug as removed and cleaned up and the gallon jug that contains the factory fluid. It filled exactly one empty quart bottle. I used Dexron LS 75W90 Gear Oil and it took about 2 ounces short of two quarts to fill it to the bottom of the fill hole.

Magnetic plug as removed:

Magnetic plug cleaned up:

ONE QUART TOTAL factory gear oil:

The rear end was quiet and I have been driving easy so I don't think I did any damage. I'm just glad I didn't take it to a HPDE or did any "demonstration" runs without servicing the rear end myself.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CASEY122457 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Rear end fluid change - not happy

My plug looked the same; don't worry, things have to break-in. You did the right thing by changing the fluid.

nynd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 M5. SOLD:11 BD CTS-V, 6M, Loaded - SOLD:09 CTS-V (Auto)

2 quarts, wow, you got more in than me. I just did my change this weekend as well and filled it up 1.5 liters (which your 2 quarts is about 1.8 liters). Did you have the car level or inclined slightly? Mine looked similar but I took out about 1.2 liters.

Z06ified is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Thunder Grey, Manual, Ultraview, Recaros, Wood

WTF? How difficult is it for the factory to put the correct amount of fluid in? Not for nothing, but that is a scary lack of quality control that could do severe damage to the differential. And this isn't the first time this has happened. Someone at GM needs to get on this problem.

Oddly, the differential fluid in my C5 Z06 was overfilled by half a quart at the factory, as were many others.

Z06ified is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Thunder Grey, Manual, Ultraview, Recaros, Wood

BTW, does anyone know who manufactures the differential? Is it Getrag again? I suspect the supplier fills the diffs at their factory before shipping it to the CTS assembly line, but I could be wrong.

It was jacked up on the right rear so it was inclined slightly. I put in 2 quarts and let the excess run out (about 3 oz) so the actual fill was 1.8 liters. I'm changing it again at 2,000 miles to check the magnetic plug and flush it all out again.

Do it yourself and have peace of mind I guess....How much could it possibly cost GM to do the job correctly in the first place? Especially since the Owner's Manual doesn't list the amount or type of rear end fluid to use, only to check the level. At least there are 20 plus pages on how to correctly put my seat belt on.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

^ thats when i had mine flushed. Around 500miles and than around 2k

louiefl99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Z06ified View Post
    BTW, does anyone know who manufactures the differential? Is it Getrag again? I suspect the supplier fills the diffs at their factory before shipping it to the CTS assembly line, but I could be wrong.
    Not sure about your diff, but when I was having diff binding problems with my '05 CTS I spoke to an application engineer at GM about the cause. In my case, the rear diff was tested by the manufacturer using fluid without the LS additive, drained, shipped, and then filled at the final assembly line. They did not need the additive for the supplier testing as the testing did not engage the limited slip. Unfortunately, enough fluid remained in the rear to dilute the additive enough to cause problems.

SlvrBullIT is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Mine was low the week I changed mine out to, I was going to a HPDE and read all the horror stories so I had mine changed out a week prior. Black, smelly and low, the drain plug looked the same. Filled her up and she didn't hummmm anymore. Rides like glass now. No diff temp issues at the HPDE either. Recommend everyone have theirs changed out ASAP.

nradcad is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 V B-B

I've got a little over 2000 miles on my V and I had the deal change the oil today and check the diff fluid level, specifically because I keep hearing about this problem. My diff fluid level was fine.

nradcad is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 V B-B

Should i have had the dealer flush the diff as well?

SSideways is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

how much per quart?

Mikevette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2011 CTS-V Coupe, 2012 CTS-V Sedan

For us DIY guys I checked my diff fluid level the other day and it was fine. Know getting the fluid back into the diff after it's drained is going to be a bear. What type of pump are you guys using to get the diff re-filled. The fill port is in a bad spot along side of the diff brace. It was tough just getting the torex socket onto the fill plug. Just wondering so when I'm ready to swapout my fluid I'll have some tips from you guys to guide me through this task.

thanks

Mike P.

I have about 400 miles on my Dexron LS gear lube and it is perfectly quiet. You DO NOT have to add limited slip additive when using this fluid. I bought a case to get the price down to about $13 per quart. I use a clear plastic tubing about 1/2" I.D. with one of those long, narrow funnels pushed into the fill end. The other end is sized to push into the rear end fill hole which holds it in and provides a nice seal so the fluid doesn't run out all over the place. It took about 20 minutes to gravity feed a little less than 2 quarts into the rear end. If you don't rush it, it works fine. You fish the tubing thru the suspension upper arm. Remove the RR tire and fill thru the wheelwell. It's a fairly straight shot from there. When the two quarts are in, just remove the tubing and let the excess run out into a pan (about 3 ozs).

nynd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 M5. SOLD:11 BD CTS-V, 6M, Loaded - SOLD:09 CTS-V (Auto)

Or get a fluid pump and get it in there in about 5 minutes.. LOL! I did it from underneath.. put her on jack stands.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.