Rear end fluid change - not happy - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Rear end fluid change - not happy in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Ty....I did go back on thier site, this was part of the products description... Contains additional friction modifiers for suitability ...
    Speedtrapped is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11' cts-v wagon

Re: Rear end fluid change - not happy

Ty....I did go back on thier site, this was part of the products description...

Contains additional friction modifiers for suitability with clutch-type limited slip differentials - for most LSDs, no additional friction modifiers are required

I have driven for 50 miles since change...no noise

kirks5oh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 escalade esv

Quote Originally Posted by baabootoo View Post
    Who/what caused the whine though? Was it there from the beginning?

hard to know for sure if it was there all along. i just bought the car (2010 with 11k miles) two months ago, and the fluid change was done within 300 miles of owning the car. to be honest, you can't hear it with the radio up or the windows down, which is how i drive the car normally--

for whatever reason, i've only been able to put in about a quart and a half at most--car is level on a lift

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by Speedtrapped View Post
    Ty....I did go back on thier site, this was part of the products description...

Contains additional friction modifiers for suitability with clutch-type limited slip differentials - for most LSDs, no additional friction modifiers are required

I have driven for 50 miles since change...no noise
    Amsoil used to say the same thing. Then they changed. Remember, it says "most". The V is certainly more than the usual...

Well no whine, but if add additive and redline has it, will the extra harm the diff?

I don't think so. But the additive isn't really for whine, but for keeping the clutch packs from groaning...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    I don't think so. But the additive isn't really for whine, but for keeping the clutch packs from groaning...
    ok, appreciate the feedback. I will pick up the additive

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD, 2012 Sierra Denali

From AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W-90 web page

AMSOIL Severe Gear is compatible with most limited-slip differentials. If limited-slip differential chatter occurs, add AMSOIL Slip-Lock friction modifier additive.
    I have this in the rear and front axles of my 09 CTS4 and my 2010 GMC Sierra Z71. Not any problems. I prefer AMSOIL because it made just a few hundred miles from me in Superior, Wisconsin (Duluth, MN).

Gear whine it caused by the meshing of the ring and pinion gears and you hear the noise when there is pressure on them, never when coasting. It appears to be a normal noise associated with the CTS and it may be related to the aluminum housings not drowning out the noise. I thought I read a service bulletin that said to add more insulation somewhere to deaden the noise if customer complains but I cannot find it at the moment.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

You guys use Amsoil, and you're squawking over another $10???????????

Quote Originally Posted by Z71 View Post
    From AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W-90 web page

I have this in the rear and front axles of my 09 CTS4 and my 2010 GMC Sierra Z71. Not any problems. I prefer AMSOIL because it made just a few hundred miles from me in Superior, Wisconsin (Duluth, MN).

Gear whine it caused by the meshing of the ring and pinion gears and you hear the noise when there is pressure on them, never when coasting. It appears to be a normal noise associated with the CTS and it may be related to the aluminum housings not drowning out the noise. I thought I read a service bulletin that said to add more insulation somewhere to deaden the noise if customer complains but I cannot find it at the moment.
    amsoil added an addendum to add friction modifier. As for the V2, we have iron diffs as opposed to V1's aluminum...

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD, 2012 Sierra Denali

amsoil added an addendum to add friction modifier. As for the V2, we have iron diffs as opposed to V1's aluminum...
    From where do you get that information?

AMSOIL Severe Gear Data Bulletin

The info I gave comes directly from the AMSOIL web site and literature. Unless you are referring to the If in the statement being the addendum.

AMSOIL Severe Gear is compatible with most limited-slip differentials. If limited-slip differential chatter occurs, add AMSOIL Slip-Lock™ friction modifi er additive.

NOTE - To those with GM trucks, i.e. Escalade, Denali, Sierra, Silverado, Tahoe, Yukon. YOU DO NOT have a limited slip differential in most instances. If you have G80 option it is a LOCKING rear differential and the use of any additional additive in the locking differential can cause the locking mechanism to slip and miss engagement and lead to differential failure (per GM technical bulletins). Limited slips are coded as G86 and were only used in rear steer suv and truck. Only GM cars use Limited Slip differentials.

Quote Originally Posted by Z71 View Post
    From where do you get that information?

AMSOIL Severe Gear Data Bulletin

The info I gave comes directly from the AMSOIL web site and literature. Unless you are referring to the If in the statement being the addendum.

NOTE - To those with GM trucks, i.e. Escalade, Denali, Sierra, Silverado, Tahoe, Yukon. YOU DO NOT have a limited slip differential in most instances. If you have G80 option it is a LOCKING rear differential and the use of any additional additive in the locking differential can cause the locking mechanism to slip and miss engagement and lead to differential failure (per GM technical bulletins). Limited slips are coded as G86 and were only used in rear steer suv and truck. Only GM cars use Limited Slip differentials.
    OK, first off, do you own a V? I do and I run Amsoil in my diff. Ran it without the friction modifier(as I did in my '04, without problems). Yet, in my '09 the diff started to groan on turns in colder weather and then did it in all weather. Now, when I changed the fluid again, I added the friction modifier. No problems at all.

I can't find the right thread, but there is this one from one of Amsoil's very reputable vendors...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ormulated.html

No matter what, you NEED the friction modifier with the Amsoil Severe Gear in the V2. Period.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.