Rear end fluid change - not happy - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Rear end fluid change - not happy in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Did anyone notice that Amsoil has a 1.3 Quart capacity for the LSD rear w/o cooler?... as for the Mobil ...
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Re: Rear end fluid change - not happy

Did anyone notice that Amsoil has a 1.3 Quart capacity for the LSD rear w/o cooler?...

as for the Mobil 1, Amsoil reevaluated the Severe gear for our app and changed to us needing the additive. Since the Mobil 1 guide says no additive is needed for MOST applications, I'd tend to think we may very well be one of those few applications in light of Amsoil changing their thoughts on it...
    I had guessed that too. OEM it is.

BeagleBrains is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by demorgan59 View Post
    .. peace of mind I guess....How much could it possibly cost GM ......?
    Nearly 4000 CTS V rear differentials times one quart = quite a savings.
    This is why, when I reach 500 miles on a new car, I have the Dealer change all fluids. After which, I self check fluid levels. My Jeep was returned from the Dealer a quart low in the transmission after my break-in flush and refill!!!!!
    Trust no one.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Wow, they must love you!

CTSVeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR, 2009 CTS-V (sold), 2010 Escalade Hybrid (sold)

Having my diff replaced as we speak with 18k on the clock. I suspect low fluid was the cause. I look forward to getting my car back tomorrow.

jpoole is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac CTS-V

So, does anyone have the part number for the new Dextron LS gear oil we should be using?

Club Malibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V, White, Manual, Bone stock, no sun-roof

DEXRON LS Gear Oil 75W-90

jpoole is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac CTS-V

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Club Malibu View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen P. View Post
    Nearly 4000 CTS V rear differentials times one quart = quite a savings.
    This is why, when I reach 500 miles on a new car, I have the Dealer change all fluids. After which, I self check fluid levels. My Jeep was returned from the Dealer a quart low in the transmission after my break-in flush and refill!!!!!
    Trust no one.
    4,000 new diffs, possible recalls and unhappy customers cost more. they're not purposefully low-filling the diffs to save 10 grand, you're crazy if you believe that's why they're factory low.

C66 Racing is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V (sold)

For those looking to try the AMSOIL fluids, here are the applicable fluids and pump that are mentioned above:
    AMSOIL Severe Gear Extreme Pressure Synthetic 75w90 (Product Code SVGQT)
    AMSOIL Slip-Lock Differential Additive (Product Code ADATB)
    AMSOIL Hand Pump (Product Code G2039)

The Severe Gear 75w90 does come with friction modifier already in it. Adding extra modifier has not been needed to prevent diff chatter for previous generation GM cars. I used this fluid in my 06 CTS-V (sold in 09) and continue to use it in my 02 Corvette Z06 without extra additive and neither of my diffs chattered. But, GM's new diffs starting with those in the C6 Corvette are different. Not sure that was planned and well after the C6 came out, after many TSBs on diff chatter, GM came out with the new Dexron LS to address the problem. Very expensive and many reports on the Vette forums of the chatter coming back with this fluid. For many years the Severe Gear with a few ounces of the Slip Lock additive have been very popular on the Vette forums as a correction to the diff chatter experienced by the C6.

There is some performance downside to having too much modifier. If the diff clutch plates slip more than intended, the limited slip diff will be less limited slip - meaning less torque will be passed to the tire with grip. May not be noticeable in daily driving, but in high performance applications like the drag strip or track days, having too much modifier will hurt. Depending on your intended use (daily driving or track days), I normally advise either just adding the whole 4 oz bottle of the Slip Lock for convenience, or for higher performance applications, only adding half of it and keeping the rest to add later if the diff does chatter. The Slip Lock comes in a 4 oz tube with a long snout making it very easy to open the fill plug and squirt in a few ounces into a full diff to quiet a diff that is chattering.

Note that none of the above relates to diff whine which is a totally different problem.

Fluid levels. My experience has been that diffs lose fluid. Not sure of the current gen V diff construction, but most diffs have a vent on them. On the Corvette, it is a little plug sticking out of the top driver's side of the diff. In very hard applications, the diff gets very hot and fluid will vent out as the pressure is relieved. These vents are check valves. Thus as the fluid cools back off the diff will go into a vacum. Don't be surprised if you hear a sucking noise when you first open the fill plug - this is a result of how the vent works. So I'm not surprised to hear cases where 1.5 qts were put in and later checked and only had 1.3 quarts in.

When to change. My advice is almost immediately. Factory fluids do not in general perform very well. Viscosity shear down is common, as is early wear in the diff. Unlike in an engine with a filter and relatively common fluid changes, in the diff those wear metals will just circulate in the fluid causing more wear. When I changed my CTS-V factory fill fluid at about 10k miles to the Severe Gear, I had the factory fluid analyzed and the results were not pretty:
    2006 Cadillac CTS-V Used Oil Analysis Factory Fill Differential Fluid

Finally, though commissioned by AMSOIL, an interesting read for those looking to learn more about why one diff fluid performs differently than another:
    AMSOIL Gear Lube “White Paper” (2 MB pdf file)

For those interested in trying AMSOIL fluids, always happy to get them for you at dealer wholesale, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

BeagleBrains is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe

Nearly 4000 CTS V rear differentials times one quart = quite a savings. .. 500 miles ... ..., . . .change all fluids. Trust no one.

4,000 new CTS V diffs; then SDS, GT8, Manilibou, GMC, etc. ..do ...believe that's why they're factory low." = quite a savings!

Z71
    Z71 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Club Malibu View Post

I don't understand why owners want to keep using the GM gear lube when they are so many rear axle complaints?

There is a difference in high-performance lubes and the lubes that just meet the minimum industry requirements. Lubes in the marketplace only have to meet minimum performance levels set by API.

All major synthetic brands are not the same; you can expect formulations to differ from one to another.

Every manufacturer that makes equipment with an engine has its own name on an lube bottle. That includes all the major auto manufacturers, the makers of motorcycles, ATV's, snowmobiles, lawnmowers, farm equipment, you name it, they all have oils. But none of these equipment manufacturers actually make lubricants. They sell it to make more money, and they often price these lubricants well above the going rate for competitive lubricants because, like GM, they can specify or create the impression that only their lubricants be used in their equipment.

The fact is that GM, like the other oems, contract with one or more oil companies to make their lubricants. Often, the decision as to who actually makes a private labeled product is based on low bid, and like almost everything manufactured by a low bidder, short cuts are taken in order to meet the low price.

longbow0404 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

What about royal purple 75w-90...... I cant find the amsoil at my local auto parts

the same reason people use only Dexron 1 approved oils; warranty.

I have yet to look at what GM requires it be approved under, however, rear-end lube isn't as critical as motor oil. Even the GM stuff if changed regularly is fine for most people on these forums that don't track their car.

longbow0404 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

But I track the car... and want something that I can trust....

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Only the douchiest or most clueless of dealers will ever bother you about fluids if changed regularly and not ignored/abused. Besides, I don't bring that stuff up to the dealer, anyway...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.