Rear end fluid change - not happy - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Rear end fluid change - not happy in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I saw this post and got me wondering. Was nagging at me so I went and had the oil changed ...
    mpouls1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '09 V 11.99@118mph, '11 Tahoe LTZ, '03 Silverado, '00 Jetta

Re: Rear end fluid change - not happy

I saw this post and got me wondering. Was nagging at me so I went and had the oil changed along with the diff. Service manager was scratching his head a little bit when I told him to change out the diff. Fluid looked clean and level was o.k.

cbloveday is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I order a new set of OEM V rims and shod them with pirelli 240 sottozeros for the winter in chicago.
    Dealer matched tire rack on the tires and gave me great price on rims.
    No charge for labor to swap the stock rims and PS2s or to mount and balance new rims with the winter pirellis and tpms. While I was there, I asked him to change out the differential fluid. Car had 1,600 miles on clock and they said the level of fluid was fine but the color was dark. They refilled with a BG synthetic.

The rims did not come with center caps but found a great source on ebay for the oem center caps. I just got them today and snapped them into my
    summer rims in storage.

I would recommend everyone check their differential fluid ASAP or certainly after 500 miles.

caddiedrummer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by cbloveday View Post
    I order a new set of OEM V rims and shod them with pirelli 240 sottozeros for the winter in chicago.
    Dealer matched tire rack on the tires and gave me great price on rims.
    No charge for labor to swap the stock rims and PS2s or to mount and balance new rims with the winter pirellis and tpms. While I was there, I asked him to change out the differential fluid. Car had 1,600 miles on clock and they said the level of fluid was fine but the color was dark. They refilled with a BG synthetic.

The rims did not come with center caps but found a great source on ebay for the oem center caps. I just got them today and snapped them into my
    summer rims in storage.

I would recommend everyone check their differential fluid ASAP or certainly after 500 miles.
    Dumb question --how/where do you check it?

Buno for someone who did it themselves.

Club Malibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V, White, Manual, Bone stock, no sun-roof

Just did my rear diff with 563 miles on the clock.

Magnetic plug had metal shavings on it with the consistancy of anti-seize.

Dealership tried to sell me the old gear oil that you had to add the limited slip friction modifier on it. I told him no way; something is wrong because "The internet said so!"

He then asked a tech, and he found the TSB that tells you to use the DEXON LS Gear Oil.

40oz out

48oz in

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Why are all you guys changing it so soon? The manual says 25K for Severe Service, or 50K otherwise. Secondly, with those that pulled the old stuff out, how do you know it was empty? Maybe you left half in there. I just got my car, so I don't want to miss a critical fluid change. I couldn't find anythiong under Break-In either.

Fluid is really dirty. I had mine changed to BG synthetic. Because of the power I am putting down, Service manager is recommending every 12,000 miles for diff and 15,000 for trns fluid. Also some experienced low fluid from factory and gear noise. We are measuring the amount of fluid that is removed and measuring what is put back in so, highly doubt any left in the case. Mine was done by dealer twice in 8,500 miles. 1st to check condition and amount of fluid. Just recently had both diff done and trans to see what was going on in diff with the new power. Plug is magnetic and wanted to check amount of metal on the plug to make sure all is normal.
    We found normal amount of shavings on plug. While I was there, I decided to do both tranny and diff so I am going to change both now every 12,000 miles. to keep things easier for me.

So for me changing earlier than rec by manual is for my piece of mind. I am also changing the oil earlier than synthetic oil recommends.

Up to you but I want to be "better safe than sorry".

DrumStix is offline Cadillac Owner
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by SSideways View Post
    how much per quart?
    I did mine with Amsoil Sever Gear 75-90 yesterday and that stuff is about $14 a qt.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

Nutz is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V a tuxedo with a jetpack!

Changed mine this weekend. Oil was pretty clean and level was right. 5400 mi. Build date 3/09.

I finally checked mine, and it just barely leaked out when cold, so the level is fine by me. It was not dirty at all, so I'll leave it in since it only has 8K on it. I will recheck it after some track time this month though.

Z06ified is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Thunder Grey, Manual, Ultraview, Recaros, Wood

Quote Originally Posted by baabootoo View Post
    I finally checked mine, and it just barely leaked out when cold, so the level is fine by me. It was not dirty at all, so I'll leave it in since it only has 8K on it. I will recheck it after some track time this month though.
    FWIW, all the metal particles and crud sits at the bottom of the diff, and the bottom drain plug is magnetic. So the fluid at the top hole will probably always look clean, unless you just drove it.

With all the hype about the level being low, I just wanted piece of mind. I'll wait a little longer after some hard miles though.

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

What is the stated mileage for changing this fluid? I thought it was 60,000 or something like that....

Quote Originally Posted by cdog533 View Post
    What is the stated mileage for changing this fluid? I thought it was 60,000 or something like that....

50,000 miles

mpouls1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '09 V 11.99@118mph, '11 Tahoe LTZ, '03 Silverado, '00 Jetta

Quote Originally Posted by cbloveday View Post
    Mine was done by dealer twice in 8,500 miles. 1st to check condition and amount of fluid. While I was there, I decided to do both tranny and diff so I am going to change both now every 12,000 miles. to keep things easier for me.

So for me changing earlier than rec by manual is for my piece of mind. I am also changing the oil earlier than synthetic oil recommends.

Up to you but I want to be "better safe than sorry".
    You just answered my question I was going to start a thread on. I did mine around 1000 miles and was pondering changing it again "for my peace of mind." I think I will have the diff done again and tranny done too while it is in the shop. I'm getting the paint chipping taken care of.

Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.