How To Remove Sub Woofer Screen?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, How To Remove Sub Woofer Screen? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Greetings, I've traced the annoying rattle that I thought was in my headliner - to the cover of the sub ...
    62Jeff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

How To Remove Sub Woofer Screen?

Greetings,
    I've traced the annoying rattle that I thought was in my headliner - to the cover of the sub woofer in the rear package tray.

Anyone have experience with getting access to those parts so I can repair the rattle easily - avoiding the dealership experience?

I'm guessing I would have to pull the rear seats in order to get to mounting hardware for the package tray, but is it possible the sub woofer screen is just a press fit, and that removing it could be as simple as just lifting it out of place?

It seems somewhat flimsy so I don't wish to force anything until I have a better idea.

Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

readyact is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V

Re: How To Remove Sub Woofer Screen?

I don't think it's a press fitting. I took a flathead and tried to pry up the screen, but it's not budging. Perhaps it does just pops off, but I decided to quit while I was still ahead. When I had it pried up some it appeared that it is screwed in from the bottom. I know I didnít add much to your dilemma, but I thought Iíd share my observation.

1BlinkGone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none...yet

I'm wondering if you can perhaps wedge some felt or something between the screen and mating surface to mute the rattle; or maybe removing the grille, running a thin bead of silicone along the grille edges, letting it set, and then re-installing it...

Quote Originally Posted by readyact View Post
    I don't think it's a press fitting. I took a flathead and tried to pry up the screen, but it's not budging. Perhaps it does just pops off, but I decided to quit while I was still ahead. When I had it pried up some it appeared that it is screwed in from the bottom. I know I didnít add much to your dilemma, but I thought Iíd share my observation.
    Thank you for checking. I suspect it is probably screwed in place, with a few screws loose now.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone View Post
    I'm wondering if you can perhaps wedge some felt or something between the screen and mating surface to mute the rattle; or maybe removing the grille, running a thin bead of silicone along the grille edges, letting it set, and then re-installing it...
    I'm thinking about shoving a folded business card on the left and right sides to see if that cures the rattle, in order to definitively confirm the source of the noise. I'd prefer to pull the car apart and fix it the right way once I know which direction to go. If I determine the grill would vibrate against the woofer surface even if mounted correctly, that changes the solution versus a grill that is simply loose.

Thank you both for your ideas.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

^ get some window weatherstripping from your local hardware store. Use a credit card to wedge it in there. It will be inconspicuous and it will keep any vibrations/noises at a min

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

My WHOLE back panel is what is rattling, it sounds like a broken speaker when i play the radio and well, just drive down the road. It is rather annoying. One day ill get some time and drop the car off to the dealer for the popping noise from the wheels, the squeaks on the headliner and the rattles from the rear panel, and the sticking ricaro buttons on the side of the chair that kill my battery if left stuck.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)

Check with your dealer. I believe that there is a TSB on it.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm not quite ready to take it to the dealer, as I plan to use the car next Saturday for a road trip, and I'm assuming the dealer can't touch the car for less than a week's outage (my Jag dealer couldn't).

Anyway, the screen seems to be firmly mounted to the package tray. I had to work hard to force a single business card between the screen and the tray, and it didn't change the rattle qualities.

After looking more closely, it appears the screen is sitting on top of a substructure that includes a honeycomb structure which has dime-sized openings to allow sound to come through.

My current working theory is that the plastic screen is sitting on top of the honeycomb structure, and the two are bumping uglies with each other.

Short of pulling the package tray on my own, I think this one is going to have to involve the dealer. I've tried to locate a TSB but have thus far been unsuccessful.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.