Considering a CTS-V - some questions/concerns - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Considering a CTS-V - some questions/concerns in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by Z06ified OK, you got me there - I really don't care if you're offended. What are you ...
    Looney100 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: Considering a CTS-V - some questions/concerns

Quote Originally Posted by Z06ified View Post
    OK, you got me there - I really don't care if you're offended.

What are you comparing the V to then. You mentioned the IS-F and M3. The V does NOT consume 50% more fuel than those cars. In real world driving, I would bet the V gets the same or better fuel economy. Check out Edmund's long term test of their M3 - I think they're averaging high 13 MPGs with their M3.

My point is, if someone is seriously concerned about fuel economy in a car, then a car like the CTS-V, or an IS-F, or an M3, or any performance sedan for that matter, is not the car for them. If you're that tight on money, you should be more concerned about the cost of tires on these cars, as THAT will be the largest single maintenance expense - you're looking at $1,500 every 15k - 20k miles to replace those Michelin PS2s. I know, I have them on my Z06.

You gotta pay to play. You don't want to pay? Then I recommend the Camry LE.
    I'm comparing the V to an IS-F (admittedly coming up much shorter on the power). Please forgive the Canadian fuel economy ratings, but the IS-F is rated at 8.5L/100km hwy, 11L/100km city, the V is rated at 11/17.5 respectively. A 29% and 59% increase in consumption.

For the record, the V would be replacing my current toy, a heavily modified '94 25th Anniversary Trans Am with 383ci LT1, lumpy cam & nitrous. Approx. 475HP NA, and 650 on the bottle. So even with the 556HP the V has, it will be slower than my existing vehicle.
    The V would certainly get better city mileage than the TA given the cam and stall converter, but the opposite is true for highway driving. I'm just amazed that given the modifications on the TA, its able to post much better economy than the V. Likely due in no small part to the extra 1000lbs the V carries around with it. Fuel economy is a consideration for me, but not nearly my #1 criteria.

Trust me, I can afford to play - again just seeking to get value for my cash.

Basically I'm looking for a four-door toy as I can't fit the family in the TA, which has resulted in me having put about 1000km total on it in the last 3 years

vperl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver

Exclamation Re: Considering a CTS-V - some questions/concerns

Quote Originally Posted by Looney100 View Post
    I'm comparing the V to an IS-F (admittedly coming up much shorter on the power). Please forgive the Canadian fuel economy ratings, but the IS-F is rated at 8.5L/100km hwy, 11L/100km city, the V is rated at 11/17.5 respectively. A 29% and 59% increase in consumption.

For the record, the V would be replacing my current toy, a heavily modified '94 25th Anniversary Trans Am with 383ci LT1, lumpy cam & nitrous. Approx. 475HP NA, and 650 on the bottle. So even with the 556HP the V has, it will be slower than my existing vehicle.
    The V would certainly get better city mileage than the TA given the cam and stall converter, but the opposite is true for highway driving. I'm just amazed that given the modifications on the TA, its able to post much better economy than the V. Likely due in no small part to the extra 1000lbs the V carries around with it. Fuel economy is a consideration for me, but not nearly my #1 criteria.

it is a possibility that the franky AM is faster, do not know....

Question is can it turn, or do you have to stay in straight line?

Bet the V2 can out do you on most any road course....

And if youdrive the V2 5- or 8 hundred miles it is a joy and very comfy.

All the top notch interior and such you cruise in style, not hopping down the road and hoping you can make the next tight corner on a road

handles like a dream, the V2 is the best anyway you cut it...

Maybe you ought to get a sts...

Trust me, I can afford to play - again just seeking to get value for my cash.

Basically I'm looking for a four-door toy as I can't fit the family in the TA, which has resulted in me having put about 1000km total on it in the last 3 years
    \fghj

The TA would certainly win in a straight line vs. the V2. A road course would be much closer, but I wouldn't count out the TA as it's 1000lbs lighter and I've improved the body rigidity and suspension a fair bit over the years.

The V2 would certainly be a much more comfortable and likely more enjoyable ride. I've had the TA for 14 years, and as much as I still love it, it's dated and no longer matches my lifestyle, which I why I'm considering the V.

I must say I'm quite surprised in the responses received to my original post. I got a couple great responses addressing owners' likes & dislikes of their cars, but I didn't realize that I'd have to put on my flame suit if I even questioned that the V may not be the most perfect vehicle ever produced.

V-Eight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan Deville

I doubt that the V is 17.5L/100km. My inefficient 4.9 is 11.....

62Jeff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 62Jeff View Post
    Hate
    • the rattles in the headliner, I believe associated with sunroof hardware
    Update - this rattle turned out to be a sub woofer cover in the rear package tray. The sunroof and associated hardware are now proving to be noise free on my car.

I must say I'm quite surprised in the responses received to my original post. I got a couple great responses addressing owners' likes & dislikes of their cars, but I didn't realize that I'd have to put on my flame suit if I even questioned that the V may not be the most perfect vehicle ever produced.

Well, we love to have some fun.
    Those meanies ought to be ashamed

Quote Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
    I doubt that the V is 17.5L/100km. My inefficient 4.9 is 11.....
    http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles...c/cts/options#

17.5 for the auto 15.0 for the manual

Quote Originally Posted by 62Jeff View Post
    Update - this rattle turned out to be a sub woofer cover in the rear package tray. The sunroof and associated hardware are now proving to be noise free on my car.
    Glad to hear it as I would certainly go with the sunroof. So what's the reason for all the sunroof/no sunroof debate I've seen? The sunroof seems to be quite contentious among owners.

Quote Originally Posted by vperl View Post
    Just in case some have never seen this here we go, be afraid...... I am proud to be a "A Global warmer"

Whos produces the sticker? The state gov't?

Someone needs to invent some method to store the waste heat from automobile engines so we can use it for our homes.

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles...c/cts/options#

17.5 for the auto 15.0 for the manual
    I'm still not buying it, new autos are equal or better than manuals when it comes to efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony View Post
    Whos produces the sticker? The state gov't?

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Always amuses me when people ask a question that was answered one or two posts above....... or they can use Goggle or Bing to find the answer in seconds...they are lazy and
    they must be loonies

If you buy, purchase a 2009 CTS-V you also may be issued your very own greenie sticker, by the Feds, who else woulde waste the paper and ink

62Jeff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Glad to hear it as I would certainly go with the sunroof. So what's the reason for all the sunroof/no sunroof debate I've seen? The sunroof seems to be quite contentious among owners.
    Well in spite of mine now proving to be quiet, I don't like the sunroof. It lets too much heat in, the flimsy sun shade is almost worthless. The car that was available locally when I purchased had the sunroof, so that's what I ended up with.

I traded in a convertible for the CTS-V, and had hoped the sunroof provide some benefit for me, but the sunroof doesn't provide anything near a convertible driving experience. About the only thing it has been good for so far, is letting in additional light on an overcast day.

It reduces the strength of the car. So for people who are heavily modding it for more power, they usually opt out of the sunroof.

Quote Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
    It reduces the strength of the car. So for people who are heavily modding it for more power, they usually opt out of the sunroof.
    The loss of rigidity from a sunroof has to be minimal. It's would be nothing like a convertible or T-top for allowing twisting. You'd just be removing part of the sheet metal and replacing it with glass with much of the roof still intact.
    From a performance basis, the extra weight may be a bit of a concern its got to add at least 50lbs to the car.

^I'd think so too, but other people seem to say different

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.