Considering a CTS-V - some questions/concerns - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Considering a CTS-V - some questions/concerns in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I haven't had any reliability issues with ANY GM vehicle I have ever owned and I have owned at least ...
    GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2015 Escalade on Order

Re: Considering a CTS-V - some questions/concerns

I haven't had any reliability issues with ANY GM vehicle I have ever owned and I have owned at least 30+ of them in the last 10 years. Don't go by consumer reports. Go by J.D. Power. They are more neutral in their surveys.

I won't buy a vehicle from any other manufacturer only because I have had good luck with GM vehicles and I have known quite a few people with BMWs including relatives and close friends that have had nothing but problems. A few had to lemon them to get their cars taken back so they can have a reliable vehicle to drive. They bought a BMW thinking it was a reliable vehicle and they are surprised when they are the ones with a piece of junk and me with an American car that always starts.

The Cadillac CTS has one of the highest resale values according to Kelly Blue Book. I am sure the CTS-V will hold it's value. It has so far and the first year is the biggest depreciation hit you will typically take.

You can't compare fuel economy on a BMW 3 series or Lexus IS-F compared to the CTS-V. I mean which one has 556 hp and 551 ft lbs? None, so how can you compare? You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't have tire shredding performance and hybrid MPG. It just won't happen.

I will take my CTS-V and enjoy it. No BMW or Lexus is going to give you this type of driving experience.

For the price, you can't beat the CTS-V. Call Scott at Superior. He is offering GM employee pricing on all CTS-Vs in stock which is thousands less than sticker which makes the CTS-V an even more of a bargain!

SG

Z06ified is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Thunder Grey, Manual, Ultraview, Recaros, Wood

No offense man, but if you're reading Consumer Reports for your car purchase decision, and you're so concerned about fuel economy, then I don't think a CTS-V is the car for you. I think a 4-cylinder Toyota Camry LE is more your speed.

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The V is an incredibly well sorted car. The daily ride is nice and smooth, and it drives like a normal car when you aren't giving it the boot. Cadillac's JD Power rating for quality is now above MB and BMW, and GM has the experience building high performance cars that Lexus doesn't. Things like engine/transmission life and the durability of the brakes, bushings, etc are all question marks with the IS-F. Service also doesn't cost a fortune on American cars.

I'm horribly biased though, so take all this with the requisite grain of salt. If you decide on the V and there's anything I can do to help you out with the purchase, feel free to drop me a line. I have two loaded automatics in stock right now (one with the Recaro seats and one without), and I offer special pricing for Internet buyers.

Go with the V- you'll love it!
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Looney100 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by Z06ified View Post
    No offense man, but if you're reading Consumer Reports for your car purchase decision, and you're so concerned about fuel economy, then I don't think a CTS-V is the car for you. I think a 4-cylinder Toyota Camry LE is more your speed.
    Just because you've preceeded a post with 'No offense' doesn't mean it isn't offensive. The sarcasm in your post is quite apparent, and it doesn't provide any information. Should I just buy the car without considering how it stacks up against its competition?

Reliability and fuel economy are only a couple of the criteria I'm looking at. In fact, the lack of range of the CTS-V seems to be a common criticism of owners in the forum. That lack of range is a direct result of the car's fuel economy.

Ultimately, I'm looking for value for my money when I'm spending the kind of cash I am looking at on a vehicle, and operating costs including fuel and repairs are a significant cost of any vehicle. When the V consumes 50% more fuel than the other vehicles I'm considering, that's something worth factoring into my decision.

vperl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Looney100 View Post
    Just because you've preceded a post with 'No offense' doesn't mean it isn't offensive. The sarcasm in your post is quite apparent, and it doesn't provide any information. Should I just buy the car without considering how it stacks up against its competition?

Reliability and fuel economy are only a couple of the criteria I'm looking at. In fact, the lack of range of the CTS-V seems to be a common criticism of owners in the forum. That lack of range is a direct result of the car's fuel economy.

Ultimately, I'm looking for value for my money when I'm spending the kind of cash I am looking at on a vehicle, and operating costs including fuel and repairs are a significant cost of any vehicle. When the V consumes 50% more fuel than the other vehicles I'm considering, that's something worth factoring into my decision.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    offense maybe taken, you have my permission.....
    my V has one of the worse greenie scores available and the government gave us owners a greeie sticker to prove it..

the gas guzzler tax ought to , scare you to a prius

see you my rear view

the second you mentioned a "worry" about gas consumption any one with a V knew you were just yanking our chain, the V is not for anyone that has any concern about the gas situation....

backup is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV, silver, manual

[QUOTE=Looney100;1948225]Just because you've preceeded a post with 'No offense' doesn't mean it isn't offensive. The sarcasm in your post is quite apparent, and it doesn't provide any information. Should I just buy the car without considering how it stacks up against its competition?

Reliability and fuel economy are only a couple of the criteria I'm looking at. In fact, the lack of range of the CTS-V seems to be a common criticism of owners in the forum. That lack of range is a direct result of the car's fuel economy.QUOTE]

The range is poor, but the economy is not that bad. Recently completed a 400 mile highway round trip. Cruise set to 70-75 mph the whole way. Fuel computer said 19.xx mpg average. Call it 20 and it isn't that bad, considering you can drop the hammer anyt time you want. The range is bad becaus the tank is small, not because of the overall fuel consumption.

Somebody said it, you can't have your cake and eat it too. It takes energy to make 550hp, and that requires fuel. If you are shopping performance cars though, don't focus on fuel economy, that is way down the list of expenses. And remember, the V is a supercar with 4-doors, a Z06 sedan if you will, so it really is in a different class. Compare it with other forced induction V8 sedans and you will see it compares favorably on fuel economy.

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

Mileage is all relative, especially compared to SUVs. I gave a ride today to someone who drives a Jetta. He asked about the mileage. I told him (somewhat embarrassed) that it was rated at 14 and 19, and that I was pissed that the traffic jam we were stuck in was dropping my average from 16 to 15. He said wow, he wishes his wife's 6 cylinder Olds Bravada got mileage that good! Not the response I expected from a Jetta driver. Compared to some SUVs, our cars can actually appear pretty green.

zr1vet is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Thunder Gray CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by vperl View Post
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    offense maybe taken, you have my permission.....
    my V has one of the worse greenie scores available and the government gave us owners a greeie sticker to prove it..

the gas guzzler tax ought to , scare you to a prius

see you my rear view

the second you mentioned a "worry" about gas consumption any one with a V knew you were just yanking our chain, the V is not for anyone that has any concern about the gas situation....
    I got the Prius first and next week I get the V.
    50 mpg + 10 mpg / 2 vehicles is 30 mpg??? I think I'll be ok on my mileage

Krug Ford is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

They are a blast to drive and you get a lot of bang for the buck.

Just in case some have never seen this here we go, be afraid...... I am proud to be a "A Global warmer"
    Attached Images

1BlinkGone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none...yet

I was a subscriber to CR for many years. That said: I have pretty much lost trust in them, as I have found that they are anything but unbiased... esp with autos. Like somebody else implied, CR is all about Toyota as their fair-haired company in automobiles.
    That said, they have other proclivities of bias: JVC for electronics... and other like bias issues.
    The ONLY thing I might, MIGHT rely on for CR is the overall service ratings for appliances. Other than that, I pretty much ignore what they say.
    JD Power is much more credible, as also already mentioned, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by marktanner View Post
    Mileage is all relative, especially compared to SUVs. I gave a ride today to someone who drives a Jetta. He asked about the mileage. I told him (somewhat embarrassed) that it was rated at 14 and 19, and that I was pissed that the traffic jam we were stuck in was dropping my average from 16 to 15. He said wow, he wishes his wife's 6 cylinder Olds Bravada got mileage that good! Not the response I expected from a Jetta driver. Compared to some SUVs, our cars can actually appear pretty green.
    Shoot, my wife's former 2001 Mazda MilleniaS (supercharged 2.3 V-6) was only getting 13-15 mpg in the city, and it took 'Premium Fuel Only' for that little 220 hp sucker... and got all of 24-25 MPG hwy @ 65 mph. Its 28 MPG claims were only obtainable at 55mph.

I'll take 15 mpg city, for 556hp anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by vperl View Post
    Just in case some have never seen this here we go, be afraid...... I am proud to be a "A Global warmer"
    Amen. Sad that so many ignore the 100's of credible scientists that are screaming "scam" over the artificial GlobalWarming doctrine.

now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Z06ified is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Thunder Grey, Manual, Ultraview, Recaros, Wood

Quote Originally Posted by Looney100 View Post
    Just because you've preceeded a post with 'No offense' doesn't mean it isn't offensive.
    OK, you got me there - I really don't care if you're offended.

What are you comparing the V to then. You mentioned the IS-F and M3. The V does NOT consume 50% more fuel than those cars. In real world driving, I would bet the V gets the same or better fuel economy. Check out Edmund's long term test of their M3 - I think they're averaging high 13 MPGs with their M3.

My point is, if someone is seriously concerned about fuel economy in a car, then a car like the CTS-V, or an IS-F, or an M3, or any performance sedan for that matter, is not the car for them. If you're that tight on money, you should be more concerned about the cost of tires on these cars, as THAT will be the largest single maintenance expense - you're looking at $1,500 every 15k - 20k miles to replace those Michelin PS2s. I know, I have them on my Z06.

You gotta pay to play. You don't want to pay? Then I recommend the Camry LE.

Quote Originally Posted by Z06ified View Post

You gotta pay to play. You don't want to pay? Then I recommend the Camry LE.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&7

Well, my choice for him would be the AMC Rambler

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.