V2 Fuel Restriction
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, V2 Fuel Restriction in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I want to say thanks to Greg for the help. So been doing some research on the fuel restriction problem ...
    CadV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): V2

V2 Fuel Restriction

I want to say thanks to Greg for the help.

So been doing some research on the fuel restriction problem Jessie ran into around 15-16 pounds of boost.

Here is a diagram of the fuel system on our cars:

Here are the guts of the assembly which is part# 19207950:

You will notice the pumps and how they have a pin size opening for the fuel. It was common for FBodies and GTO's to replace this part with one that allows more fuel.

The thing I am trying to figure out is what part we can use to do the same thing. Can anyone help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jlford30 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: V2 Fuel Restriction

I had heard a fuel system upgrade was in the works.....

SSideways is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

You could always purchase walbro pumps from Racetronix or APE that put out 255 ltr/hr. GSS340 or GSS307 come to mind. they have a larger inlet than stock fuel pumps.

HTH

1-2-N-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I thought this was an injector problem not a pressure problem. You can always buy a bigger pump, but can the injectors handle the flow. I have a guy up here in Ossining NY, Chuck Mosello who works on Vettes and is very renounced in the Vette world. Says hey has a guy that can micro machine the jetting to give more flow. Don't know enough yet to comment. This Vette guy has worked with Jesse so he knows his stuff. I will be modding my pulleys soon and do want to make sure there is enough fuel for the added boost.

atdeneve is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by 1-2-N-V View Post
    I thought this was an injector problem not a pressure problem. You can always buy a bigger pump, but can the injectors handle the flow. I have a guy up here in Ossining NY, Chuck Mosello who works on Vettes and is very renounced in the Vette world. Says hey has a guy that can micro machine the jetting to give more flow. Don't know enough yet to comment. This Vette guy has worked with Jesse so he knows his stuff. I will be modding my pulleys soon and do want to make sure there is enough fuel for the added boost.
    Is that why he's trying to get his foothold in the V2 world?

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

The injectors are just fine. They are the same ones in the ZR1 that makes ALOT more power than us.

The problem is the FUEL PRESSURE CONTROL MODULE. It is what pulses the pumps to make pressure. It is at 100% duty cycle meaning it cant produce any more required fuel VOLUME to maintain the commanded fuel pressure of 65 psi at wot. IF It could mantain the pressure OR run at HIGHER than stock settings without the fpdm knowing it is the fix. You cant just stick in a higher flowing pump very easily, as the fpdm is Pulse width modulated. Not the same as the others..

Since the fpdm is only setup to go to 65psi stock, SO that makes the injector duty cycle 100% right at the 600rwhp mark... IF you can generate more flow that is fine and dandy BUT..... REMEMBER this is a closed system meaning there is only as much flow and pressure as the system can use. So if you put too much pressure/volume thru the system you will cause engine codes, and other failures as well as possible fpdm burnout and pump lockups. The FPDM has a window of duty cycle it can output. too low dead heads the pumps, too high makes too much pressure and makes an overly rich condition that is un correctable.

CadV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): V2

So Jess did you replace the fuel pressure control module with one for the ZR1 or something?

Thanks for chiming in.

1-2-N-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Yes Thanks Jesse for your correction.

musclesbmf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 GTR

more info.... more info.

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

Sure you could try the zr1 controller. You should do a price check at your dealer for that.......

Domsz06 is offline Cadillac Owner
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2007 Z06

So the question is what do we do to fix our issue? Get LPE's boost a pump or what?

Love to hear more for obvious reasons.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
    The injectors are just fine. They are the same ones in the ZR1 that makes ALOT more power than us.

The problem is the FUEL PRESSURE CONTROL MODULE. It is what pulses the pumps to make pressure. It is at 100% duty cycle meaning it cant produce any more required fuel VOLUME to maintain the commanded fuel pressure of 65 psi at wot. IF It could mantain the pressure OR run at HIGHER than stock settings without the fpdm knowing it is the fix. You cant just stick in a higher flowing pump very easily, as the fpdm is Pulse width modulated. Not the same as the others..

Since the fpdm is only setup to go to 65psi stock, SO that makes the injector duty cycle 100% right at the 600rwhp mark... IF you can generate more flow that is fine and dandy BUT..... REMEMBER this is a closed system meaning there is only as much flow and pressure as the system can use. So if you put too much pressure/volume thru the system you will cause engine codes, and other failures as well as possible fpdm burnout and pump lockups. The FPDM has a window of duty cycle it can output. too low dead heads the pumps, too high makes too much pressure and makes an overly rich condition that is un correctable.
    Pressure times volume equals a constant, so if a given injector is running wide-open, the only way to increase volume at that point is to increase pressure.

However, if the stock fuel pump can deliver its max pressure at a higher-than-stock flow rate (volume), then larger than stock injectors should also be able to deliver more fuel to the engine. But if the stock fuel pump's max pressure decreased as volume went up, then larger injectors wouldn't help.

So tuners: can our stock fuel pumps deliver their max pressure at higher-than-stock flow rates? Or do they drop off?

Domsz06 is offline Cadillac Owner
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2007 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by GMX322V S/C View Post
    Pressure times volume equals a constant, so if a given injector is running wide-open, the only way to increase volume at that point is to increase pressure.

However, if the stock fuel pump can deliver its max pressure at a higher-than-stock flow rate (volume), then larger than stock injectors should also be able to deliver more fuel to the engine. But if the stock fuel pump's max pressure decreased as volume went up, then larger injectors wouldn't help.

So tuners: can our stock fuel pumps deliver their max pressure at higher-than-stock flow rates? Or do they drop off?
    this area is kinda vague..... Kinda sounds like a BAP is needed....

DrumStix is offline Cadillac Owner

Quote Originally Posted by GMX322V S/C View Post

I read a post in the other fueling thread today where James was claiming a logged value of 49 psi or so and dropping at 6000 rpm.

"On CTS-Vs within these power ranges, if you log fuel pressure via your datalogger (such as HPT or EFIL), you'll more than likely find that fuel pressure will drop by the end of the pull to 49 to 51 psi (or lower), regardless of commanded pressure via the tune. Here is a datalog of my friend's CTS-V2 showing the various pids logged (I cut out some of them that weren't as pertinent, to decrease file size), including fuel pressure:
    Read more at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/217343-cts-v2-fuel-system-warning-important.html?ktrack=kcplink"

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...important.html

RWTD is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrumStix View Post
    I read a post in the other fueling thread today where James was claiming a logged value of 49 psi or so and dropping at 6000 rpm.

"On CTS-Vs within these power ranges, if you log fuel pressure via your datalogger (such as HPT or EFIL), you'll more than likely find that fuel pressure will drop by the end of the pull to 49 to 51 psi (or lower), regardless of commanded pressure via the tune. Here is a datalog of my friend's CTS-V2 showing the various pids logged (I cut out some of them that weren't as pertinent, to decrease file size), including fuel pressure:
    Read more at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/217343-cts-v2-fuel-system-warning-important.html?ktrack=kcplink"

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...important.html
    I actually took that out of my post just now, as I can see where it will cause some confusion. Basically, one can take it as fuel pressure is dropping drastically, therefore the pumps must be done. In actuality, the pumps have plenty left, BUT the injectors are too small at the amount of fuel pressure to properly support the power ranges I quoted in my other thread. Also, the 49-51 psi fuel pressure I was discussing was actually the DeltaP, not the actual pressure out of the pumps (which was 65 psi). DeltaP is Actual pressure minus boost.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.