Idle noises ... ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Idle noises ... ? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; This is probably no big deal, but, I'd like to compare with others just to make sure it's no big ...
    RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

Idle noises ... ?

This is probably no big deal, but, I'd like to compare with others just to make sure it's no big deal. My v2 is stock, and I'm still breaking it in at 600 miles.

As you probably all know, when inside the v2 and sitting at idle, the car is very quiet, and the engine can barely be heard. But if I get out of the car and stand near the front with the hood still closed, it sounds like a small factory running under there. All kinds of different sounds ... And the idle itself sounds a bit rough.

I wonder if you all could take a listen when you have the chance, and let me know if your v2 sounds about the same, or different ... ??

Thanks.

Rob

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

NeedCTS-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V Clack 6psd (manual), Recaro, Loaded...

Re: Idle noises ... ?

I'm not a V expert but became very comfortable hearing a good amount of lifter noise with all of my previous LS/LT cars. If it sounds like a sewing machine, you're good IMO.

62Jeff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Yup, same here, all kinds of noises. I had the dealer check it and they said it was the injectors tapping. I wouldn't worry about it, I'm not.

Also, yes idle is a bit low sometimes as you can really feel the lumpy lope in the cam.

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

IF you want to pull your blower apart, i can make it quiet. The part isnt that expensive.

Thanks everybody.

W4M, if you know the TSB number - that would be great. In any event, I intend to bring it up at the next dealer visit.

Thanks again!

Rob

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The TSB for "marble sound" at idle doesn't recommend a fix. If the noise goes away when the idle is raised, Dealers are told it doesn't indicate a problem and to leave it alone. It also mentions that it should only be noticeable standing in front of the car with either the hood open or your head next to the wheel well.

I believe I recall W4M mentioning in a different thread that he found the cause of the noise, but it requires pulling your blower apart and voiding the warranty on it if you want a quieter idle.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Yes my fix is replacing the pos plastic torsional isolator with a solid non moving metal one.. The plastic one is a piece of crap and was eating my main pully shaft with the spring they have on it. At less than 500 miles mine had gouges and metal powder in it with ALL STOCK configuration and the shaft was wearing alot! This was at 500 miles... I will hate to see what people will do when they have that part fail on them at 30,000 miles or so. My marble sound went away 100% with the solid one. It is really quiet now.

Quote Originally Posted by RapidRob View Post
    Thanks everybody.

W4M, if you know the TSB number - that would be great. In any event, I intend to bring it up at the next dealer visit.

Thanks again!

Rob
    Bringing this post back to add a little more info.

If anyone is interested, the TSB # for this issue is: PIP4523A, (document ID = 2253881), and any dealer should be able to pull it up.

Bottom line is, my dealer will not install an aftermarket part, (such as W4M's replacement Torsional Isolator), in the supercharger, even if I offer to pay for labor charges. They would have to have authorization from GM to do so and retain warranty.

So, anyone wanting to do this will have to find a private shop to do it, or do it themselves, if so inclined, and hope that GM never finds out about it if there are issues. But that's just my dealer's policy, your dealers may vary, (I suppose ... ??).

Rob

I just pulled apart a car with VERY VERY low miles on it, and the stock spring inside the dampner was horrible. It was digging in more than any others i have seen. I made a whole Video today of installing all the parts we sell on a car. Im going to be uploading it on youtube this weekend. IT should be a good show.

62Jeff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
    I just pulled apart a car with VERY VERY low miles on it, and the stock spring inside the dampner was horrible. It was digging in more than any others i have seen. I made a whole Video today of installing all the parts we sell on a car. Im going to be uploading it on youtube this weekend. IT should be a good show.
    Crap. Some years ago I bought a 1997 Jaguar XK8. Over time all of us XK8 owners learned of failed timing chain tensioners and waited with baited breath, for our engines to implode.

Now I hear that the car I bought to replace the Jag, may also implode one day.

I hope like heck GM acknowledges an issue very quickly, and gets a recall out there for us.

1-2-N-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

So what does this tensioner do? what will that cause in the blower?

s4ologist is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Would this be an easy swap to do when changing the blower pulley?

Quote Originally Posted by s4ologist View Post
    Would this be an easy swap to do when changing the blower pulley?
    Depends on which pulley you are referring to I suppose - if you mean the supercharger snout pulley, it may be easier because I understand the supercharger has to be, at least partially dis-assembled, to facilitate pressing the new pulley onto the snout shaft. W4M mentioned elsewhere that changing out the torsional isolator would be a major, (probably 2 man), job.

Rob

Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Great thread guys. My car also sounds like a sewing machine.

However, what concerns me more is what she sounds like under moderate acceleration. The marble sound gets a lot louder, almost like pinging. I'm running 92 octane gas, so I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

Tony

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.