Idle noises ... ? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Idle noises ... ? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; ^^^ Hmmm - I hear it mostly at idle, but not at all otherwise. How many miles are on your ...
    RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

Re: Idle noises ... ?

^^^ Hmmm - I hear it mostly at idle, but not at all otherwise. How many miles are on your v? I only have about 1,400 mi on mine.

Rob

s4ologist is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I'm concerned about the torsional isolator issue, and a little searching yielded this result:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/05/v...rger-in-depth/

This is a link to two videos detailing the function of the Eaton 1900 and 2300 superchargers. The video shows the torsional isolator in the Vette ZR1, and it looks like it has a gray plastic piece in it, between two metal pieces at the front of the supercharger shaft. The second video comparing the two superchargers mentions nothing about a different torsional isolator for the Eaton 1900 (the V2 unit). Therefore, if there is an issue with our torsional isolator sucking, then the one on the ZR1 is likely just as bad.

Hasn't Eaton been making superchargers for a while? Did they really botch it, or could the piece in question be made that way on purpose?

From what I've read so far (having absolutely no real-world experience in building engines) the torsional isolator tries to isolate the supercharger from the waves of torque transmitted from the crankshaft. Apparently, this is done by dampening the torque waves using friction. The device shown in the video looked like two relatively flat metal cylinders on the front of the supercharger shaft with a plastic cylinder/ring between them. Maybe this thing works because the plastic piece, being so much lighter, will have a different resonant frequency(and different(less) inertia) than the metal pieces, and the vibrations will be dampened by friction between the metal parts and the plastic one in the center.

If the above speculation were based to some extent in truth, then a solid piece connecting the two ends (no sandwich/no friction) might sound better, but actually defeat the purpose of the device.

Am I completely smoking weed here? I am just trying to figure this thing out. Any thoughts?

Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by RapidRob View Post
    ^^^ Hmmm - I hear it mostly at idle, but not at all otherwise. How many miles are on your v? I only have about 1,400 mi on mine.

Rob
    Only a few hundred.

Tony

62Jeff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
    Great thread guys. My car also sounds like a sewing machine.

However, what concerns me more is what she sounds like under moderate acceleration. The marble sound gets a lot louder, almost like pinging. I'm running 92 octane gas, so I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

Tony
    Mine sounds like a can of loose marbles at idle while standing in front of the car, but I've not hear any bad noises under acceleration. I'm running Shell 93 octane. I don't know exactly how many miles has on it (the car is in storage for the moment so I can't check) but I know it's in the 1400-1600 range.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
    Only a few hundred.

Tony
    If the noise is that bad at higher rpm, and you are running 92 or higher gas, I'd get it to the dealer fast, asking, "WTF ...?!". Seriously, that doesn't sound normal to me, and you probably should bring it to the dealers attention and have them at least document it, in case things get worse, IMO.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by 62Jeff View Post
    Mine sounds like a can of loose marbles at idle while standing in front of the car, but I've not hear any bad noises under acceleration. I'm running Shell 93 octane. I don't know exactly how many miles has on it (the car is in storage for the moment so I can't check) but I know it's in the 1400-1600 range.
    OK Jeff - call me nosey, but I have to know why you have that beautiful car in storage? I miss my v2 if I don't get to drive it for even a single day!

Rob

62Jeff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by RapidRob View Post
    OK Jeff - call me nosey, but I have to know why you have that beautiful car in storage? I miss my v2 if I don't get to drive it for even a single day!

Rob
    I'll send you a PM.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

Quote Originally Posted by s4ologist View Post
    ...The video shows the torsional isolator in the Vette ZR1, and it looks like it has a gray plastic piece in it, between two metal pieces at the front of the supercharger shaft...the torsional isolator tries to isolate the supercharger from the waves of torque transmitted from the crankshaft. Apparently, this is done by dampening the torque waves using friction. The device shown in the video looked like two relatively flat metal cylinders on the front of the supercharger shaft with a plastic cylinder/ring between them. Maybe this thing works because the plastic piece, being so much lighter, will have a different resonant frequency(and different(less) inertia) than the metal pieces, and the vibrations will be dampened by friction between the metal parts and the plastic one in the center...
    When he assembles the isolator, it looks like there are several metal pins that actually transmit the torque. It doesn't look like the plastic part is present during the assembly but when they show it rotating inside the assembly, the plastic part is there. I think the metal pins actually transmit the torque, while the plastic part seems to serve to isolate one end of the shaft from the other. I would imagine everything would be "floating" so there's bound to be wear--hopefully just on that plastic part.

Mikevette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2011 CTS-V Coupe, 2012 CTS-V Sedan

My V has the dreaded Idle rattle. I read all the post and have copied down the TSB info to present to my dealership Tech in the morning. I hope that I'm not driving 100 miles just to be told thats's normal. I only have had my V for 1 month and have 1300 miles on it. Any additional info you can provide help fend off the dealership BS would be appreaciated.

PS My LS7 never made any type of noise prior to me trading it for my 09 V

Thanks

Mike P.

Results of bring my V to dealership with rattle/marble sounds coming from SC. They did there tests of rev motor to 1200 rpm's and see if rattle went away and also removed SC belt to comfirm that it was infact the SC making the noise and not one of the other pullies/tenchioners. All took 20 mins, Ops normal within talerence!!!!! I also had them look at the XM antena cover felt loose during waxing the cat day prior. Once again within talerance???? looks lik we have to have a motor failure to get any satisfaction!! I'm going to the ZR1 section and ask them if they are getting this same type rattle/marbles noise from their 2300 SC's that are also Eatons.

Mike

haterinc is offline Cadillac Owner
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
    Yes my fix is replacing the pos plastic torsional isolator with a solid non moving metal one.. The plastic one is a piece of crap and was eating my main pully shaft with the spring they have on it. At less than 500 miles mine had gouges and metal powder in it with ALL STOCK configuration and the shaft was wearing alot! This was at 500 miles... I will hate to see what people will do when they have that part fail on them at 30,000 miles or so. My marble sound went away 100% with the solid one. It is really quiet now.
    Jesse

question about the warranty on this. can they tell if you replace this piece (other than if they see it obviously). i mean if you kept the old one in case it had to go in and you put it back the stock way for any super charger service?

Asked the same question on the ZR1 corvette forum who also have a Eaton TVS 2300 instead of the TVS 1900 that us V owners have. They are having the same rattle/whine issues while at idle. One guy even asked the question to Eaton and was stone walled. Looks like Eaton jumped at the option of a HUGH contract to provide TVS 1900/2300 for both GM super cars and rushed into production these SC before they had worked all the bugs out of them. Yes they are quiet compared to a Procharger. But it shouldn't rattle like marbles in a can for 70K. Hell the ZR1 boys paid almost double for the same issue!! If it's the plactic gaget that Jesse @ W4M talk/videoed, for which he showed how easy if could be swapped out witha $77 part with every detailed instructions. Eaton should have him on the payroll to help solve this issue and save face

just my .02, sure would like to have a quite stealth beast at idel.

Mike P.

tchr49 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Sent you a PM, but your box is full.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

you do know that you're responding to an almost 4 year old post, right?

and that a few months after this thread transpired there was an official response from Cadillac Engineering

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...haft-wear.html
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.