Front License Plate - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Front License Plate in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; All I see is a Red X??...
    Hawkeye2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Ordered CTS V - ordered 03/13 delivered 06/24!

Re: Front License Plate

All I see is a Red X??

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

I can't see the picture, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Baxman View Post
    I worked out this compromise, but I'm certain it will still get me a ticket, and I'm not sure of the look.
    Then what's the point? You're destroying the front end and you'll still get tickets.

Baxman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V

My HTML code knowledge is weak.

If you still can't see it, try this link:
    http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...3%3A1191680560

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Baxman View Post
    My HTML code knowledge is weak.

If you still can't see it, try this link:
    http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...3%3A1191680560
    You'd have a better chance on your dashboard and suctioned cup to the windshield. That's what I do.

You're probably standing 10 feet away from the car when you took that picture and it's hardly readable.

CTSV4now is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V

I looked at the picture. it is difficult to see the numbers/letters on the plate. Will the cops still pull you over?

allklr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V

I m getting my grill painted today, While they have it apart im getting the holes fixed......Hope I don't get to many tickets

Hawkeye2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Ordered CTS V - ordered 03/13 delivered 06/24!

I've thought about that - as well as just wire tying to the outside of the grille, and drilling some some small holes in the plate to help
    with the air flow.

Let us know if you get stopped - it really is tough to read in the photo.

nynd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 M5. SOLD:11 BD CTS-V, 6M, Loaded - SOLD:09 CTS-V (Auto)

Isn't there something in the highway traffic act that states it should be unobstructed and in plain view? Wouldn't that be obstructed? Nice idea although I say make a colour photocopy and just stick in the windshield when driving.

FROM ANOTHER FORUM*****************************************
    Ok I found some info regarding Permits and Licence Plates.

Permit requirements

7. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless,

(a) there exists a currently validated permit for the vehicle;

(b) there are displayed on the vehicle, in the prescribed manner,

(i) number plates issued in accordance with the regulations showing the number of the permit issued for the vehicle, or

(ii) number plates described in subsection (7.2) if the vehicle is an historic vehicle and the Ministry has issued a currently validated permit for it; and

(c) evidence of the current validation of the permit is affixed, in the prescribed manner, to,

(i) one of the number plates mentioned in subclause (b) (i) displayed on the vehicle, or

(ii) to a mini-plate attached to the number plate exposed on the rear of the vehicle, if number plates described in subsection (7.2) are displayed on the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 7 (1); 2000, c. 29, s. 1 (1).

- In a prescribed manner - this might be referring to how the MTO prescribes where to put your plate on the vehicle.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by nynd View Post
    Isn't there something in the highway traffic act that states it should be unobstructed and in plain view? Wouldn't that be obstructed? Nice idea although I say make a colour photocopy and just stick in the windshield when driving.

FROM ANOTHER FORUM*****************************************
    Ok I found some info regarding Permits and Licence Plates.

Permit requirements

7. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless,

(a) there exists a currently validated permit for the vehicle;

(i) number plates issued in accordance with the regulations showing the number of the permit issued for the vehicle, or

(ii) number plates described in subsection (7.2) if the vehicle is an historic vehicle and the Ministry has issued a currently validated permit for it; and

(c) evidence of the current validation of the permit is affixed, in the prescribed manner, to,

(i) one of the number plates mentioned in subclause (b) (i) displayed on the vehicle, or

(ii) to a mini-plate attached to the number plate exposed on the rear of the vehicle, if number plates described in subsection (7.2) are displayed on the vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 7 (1); 2000, c. 29, s. 1 (1).

- In a prescribed manner - this might be referring to how the MTO prescribes where to put your plate on the vehicle.
    A photocopy will get you in even more trouble because that's displaying a fake plate. Same as those guys running with vinyl stickers of their plate on their front bumper. If the cop wants to charge you he can get you in a lot of trouble for that. Same goes for people that trim/fold the plate; that qualifies as defacing government property (the plate is property of the government, even if you have a personalized plate.)

When I got my ticket, I was given a ticket for HTA 7(i)b(i). So " there are displayed on the vehicle, in the prescribed manner."

It is absolutely up to the police officer. The law states the plate has to be displayed on the front of my vehicle. It does not say the ABSOLUTE front, or the front bumper. Behind my FRONT windshield is still the FRONT of my vehicle IMO. I've had 3 cops ask me about the plate and 1 ticket. The ticket was at 3am in the morning in Scarborough; I know they just used that as an excuse to stop me and see who I was and what I was up to.

One time I was coming back from the track and got stopped at a highway roadside inspection. Cop asked me about the plate and didn't even tell me to put it on the bumper. I'm not trying to hide the plate, it's there on the dash.

At the end of the day the fine is not a moving violation and will not affect your insurance. The cost is a drop in the bucket. I'll pay the $110 every time; the plate stays off the bumper.

Baxman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V

Yes, the plate is hard to read through the grill mesh. That is why I think *some* nice officer will write me up anyway. In this state, a plate in the window will still get you a ticket. My biggest concern is cleaning the road grime and bugs off the plate because it's not easy to get to. If it doesn't work out, I'll remove it and just take my chances. Like Jon said, the fine is relatively cheap, ~$120 here.

wahala is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Thunder Grey CTS-V

I finally put mine on the front, but used tie wraps. Drilled some holes in the factory mounting bracket, connected the tie wraps through the lower mesh, then put the plate on as normal covering the tie wraps. No holes in the bumper, and it can be easily removed if I sell it in 20 years or so.

mpouls1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black Raven 11.99 @ 118mph stock

I was curious what the laws regarding this were in Illinois. Did a google on "illinois license front plate laws" and got this:

625 ILCS 5/3-413(b) specifies that: "every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so as to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than 5 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position clearly visible and shall be maintained in a condition to be clearly legible, free of any materials that would obstruct the visibility of the plate" 625 ILCS 5/12-610.5 mandates that no glass, plastic or covers can be over the plate.
    These regulations make any mounting of the plate inside the vehicle illegal. A plate must be affixed to the front and rear of the car. Your best bet may be to search for an aftermarket mounting bracket for your car that will allow it to mount to your bumper. Check the Internet or your local auto parts store.

Here is the link: http://blogs.suburbanchicagonews.com..._mounting.html

Didn't see anything more updated. I'm just waiting for the trooper that sits just past the bridge on Bypass 20 to pay me a visit. Not aware of any way around it. Roll the dice and just pay and deal with it or deface one of the most beautiful front ends I have ever seen. I'm not even going to go there with the rear...

Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Or you could paint it like I did mine. However, I'm sure that a ticket for altering a plate would be more than for simply not having one...

Tony
    Attached Images

chopmeat is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

After 9 months I just got a ticket for the front plate...
    Today I ordered the motorized plate that's hidden underneath!

pj911 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

How do these hide-a-way plates affect ground clearance? I am curious to know from anyone that has installed these (both manual & motorized) how much overall clearance is lost. The picture that hawkeye2 provided looks like this piece is just begging to be ripped off (especially for those of us driving in the winter/snow). I would like to purchase one of these but this is my main concern.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.