Front License Plate - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Front License Plate in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Well, after 1 and a half years of no front plate, I got a ticket at 3am tonight. $110 for ...
    Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

Re: Front License Plate

Well, after 1 and a half years of no front plate, I got a ticket at 3am tonight. $110 for failure to display two plates, even though my front is secured to my windshield. Honestly, for $110 I'll call it a car tax.

Hawkeye2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Ordered CTS V - ordered 03/13 delivered 06/24!

That's a pretty good run with no plate. As long as they're not looking for you now to keep piling on the
    tickets!

vperl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver

Has anyome put on the electric plate hiding system on a V2

Took a few more photos of the install. Hope they might help some one. Finally got it in the air for direct underneath photos.

So far it is working out great!

thatcoder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Thanks for the shots.

nynd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 M5. SOLD:11 BD CTS-V, 6M, Loaded - SOLD:09 CTS-V (Auto)

FYI: I thought about going plateless (also in Ontario) but why risk the headache. So, instead of riveting the plate holder on, I simply drilled two holes right below the mounting points in the plate holder and then ran a long zip tie through it for each side. It seems to be holding real well so well see how it works out. When you want to remove it, just cut the two zips and clean bumper with no holes! Just offering it up for someone debating that dreaded rivet to go through the front bumper. I looked at it with just fastnening the plate to the lower grille with zips but the plate holder makes it look more professional, especially for a car with this much class!

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by nynd View Post
    FYI: I thought about going plateless (also in Ontario) but why risk the headache. So, instead of riveting the plate holder on, I simply drilled two holes right below the mounting points in the plate holder and then ran a long zip tie through it for each side. It seems to be holding real well so well see how it works out. When you want to remove it, just cut the two zips and clean bumper with no holes! Just offering it up for someone debating that dreaded rivet to go through the front bumper. I looked at it with just fastnening the plate to the lower grille with zips but the plate holder makes it look more professional, especially for a car with this much class!
    Never really understood that. If you're going to carry the plate anyways, why not just rivet it in? When would you take the plate off anyways?

Good to see another Ontario owner though!

nynd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 M5. SOLD:11 BD CTS-V, 6M, Loaded - SOLD:09 CTS-V (Auto)

LOL - For days when I feel like taking the plate off... and risking the attention! The rivets just "hurt" to much to put through the bumper! LOL!
    I can see what your saying... just gives you a choice I guess, especially if you ever sell it later and the person wants no front plate.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Hey Hawkeye, how much drilling did you have to do to install those brackets? Thanks so much for the pictures. Thinking of doing this.

Bob

JackB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD DI

Has anyone installed the standard front CTS plate holder upside down? I would like comfort prior to drilling holes in bumper. This seems to be a good compromise as it moves the plate from in front of the top grill.
    Hawkeye2, that is a pretty slick idea but what happens when the panel needs to be removed for an oil change?

I did not drill any holes. I used existing holes, just need two longer screws that I picked up at Home Hardware.

You do not need to remove anything for an oil change. It works great. Just took a trip to PA. I flipped the
    plate down the whole time in the U.S. I just blend in on the Interstates. I always feel that with the front
    tag you are a mark for the state troopers looking for a cash grab from out of staters.

1BlinkGone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none...yet

That front plate requirement in some states is nothing more and nothing less than to have something for the police to focus their radar gun on, and get a bounce-back. That's it.

If it was really THAT important for any other reason, they'd also require it to be illuminated, just like the rear one.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

This is the thread about what i did to my jeep front plate....

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...ecko+plate+mod

Some heavy duty suction cups gorilla glued to the back of the plate. Glued a frame on it to make it look legit and it never failed. Through auto car washes, snow storms, all of it.

BlueyedCaptain is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Cool Re: Front License Plate

Quote Originally Posted by anonfrank View Post
    In Ohio, the front plate is also mandatory. However, on this car, I am choosing to go plateless and I'll deal with the ticket if it comes. No one I know in this area has been ticketed for going front plate-less.

Even so, I am likely to ask one of my local dealers about the front plate mounting hardware....just in case....
    Well, I have a 1992 Cadi Eldorado that the front plate keeps getting ripped off of the car at the car wash here in MD where we are required to have a front plate....so I have gone plateless for about 10 years and have been pulled over, warned, ticketed and inspection required about 8 times. Been to court twice about it to get fine reduced. Just a heads up to others who do it. Other than that, I have a clean driving record. Must be a slow day for these guys! I have even twice had cops pass me on the other side of the road, turn around somewhere and catch back up with me MANY MANY miles further down the road. At court, one cop had 15 cases of no front tags. He even pulled a guy out of a funeral procession!!

Baxman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V

Here in WA, like other states, revenues are down and enforcement is up. I drove my pre-V car for 7 years w/o a front plate, but in the past 9 months was pulled over twice. But who wants to disfigure such a handsome face with a front plate? I worked out this compromise, but I'm certain it will still get me a ticket, and I'm not sure of the look. There is good clearance between the plate and the radiator, so I doubt that cooling will be compromised. What do you think?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.