Chattering/Clicking Sound Coming from Front End/Steering. Anyone Else?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Chattering/Clicking Sound Coming from Front End/Steering. Anyone Else? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; This morning I noticed this chattering/clicking sound coming from the front end of the car at very slow speeds, BUT ...
    GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 MN6 V Coupe, 2015i Escalade Premium

Chattering/Clicking Sound Coming from Front End/Steering. Anyone Else?

This morning I noticed this chattering/clicking sound coming from the front end of the car at very slow speeds, BUT ONLY when the wheels are turned 3/4 to full lock left and right. When the wheels are straight, no noise. I can hear it inside the car and outside the car, it is quite loud.

Anyone else have this issue and what is the fix for it? I made an appointment with my local dealer to have this looked at tomorrow.

It would be nice to tell them what the problem is so they don't spend two days trying to figure it out.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

SG

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

Re: Chattering/Clicking Sound Coming from Front End/Steering. Anyone Else?

When mine does it, it is the blower itself. There is a plastic coupler that is in between the blower snout and rotor assembly. It clicks when the car is at low rpms with no load.

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
    When mine does it, it is the blower itself. There is a plastic coupler that is in between the blower snout and rotor assembly. It clicks when the car is at low rpms with no load.
    But mine does it only at low speeds when the wheel is turned either way. It is very odd. Sounds like either the steering shaft or the brakes.

SG

ALQ
    ALQ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade, STS

I've been facing the same thing for a while now, but i only hear the clicking when the steering is turn right, a bit, or full turn.. left, and straight, no noise can be heard..

i've been worried, but didnt check what the problem would be..

Quote Originally Posted by ALQ View Post
    I've been facing the same thing for a while now, but i only hear the clicking when the steering is turn right, a bit, or full turn.. left, and straight, no noise can be heard..

i've been worried, but didnt check what the problem would be..
    Mine does it on both left and right turns at very low speed. It just started this morning. I either didn't notice it before or it just became an issue.

If anyone has this issue, get it into the dealer so GM can release a technical service bulletin or a recall to get the problem resolved. That is all I can advise as that is what I am doing.

SG

CadV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): V2

Is the click a metal sound or plastic? Curious if your rubbing on something.

Quote Originally Posted by CadV View Post
    Is the click a metal sound or plastic? Curious if your rubbing on something.
    It sounds more like a plastic clicking sound. Metal would sound a lot louder. It is annoying. I just hit 2,000 miles and already the problems started!

SG

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

SG, you are in CA right? I know here in PA, when it's cold out and the tires are cold and you cut the wheels sharply, the tires chatter on the cold pavement. I read somewhere (maybe the tire owners manual or somewhere) that this is normal. It couldn't possibly be that, could it? I've even heard the chatter at 45 degress or so in the morning. When the tires heat up, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
    SG, you are in CA right? I know here in PA, when it's cold out and the tires are cold and you cut the wheels sharply, the tires chatter on the cold pavement. I read somewhere (maybe the tire owners manual or somewhere) that this is normal. It couldn't possibly be that, could it? I've even heard the chatter at 45 degress or so in the morning. When the tires heat up, no problems.
    I will try it out. It was around 50-60 degrees this morning when it started, but when I tried it late this morning again, it was already in the 70s and it still did it. It is going to be 80 degrees here today, so I will check it again to see if it does it.

Tire grabbing on the pavement sounds different and has kind of a slight grinding feel in the steering wheel. This doesn't have that type of sound/feel.

The thing that baffles me is that it never did it before until today and when it was much colder out, it didn't do it either. There must be something that the tires are hitting that the dealer will hopefully fix.

SG

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

turn your wheels all the way left or right when parked. Than go and rattle your inner fender shields. Maybe one is hitting the wheel or a plastic plug got loose and is flapping agains the wheel on turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
    turn your wheels all the way left or right when parked. Than go and rattle your inner fender shields. Maybe one is hitting the wheel or a plastic plug got loose and is flapping agains the wheel on turns.
    I will try it out, but being that it does it on both left and right may signal another problem.

SG

Just wanted to post an update of the problem I had.

Dealer put my V on a lift and turned the wheel and when they did that, a big rock popped out. Apparently a rock got caught somewhere between the wheel, caliper and brake pads. I can't see how that can happen when you are moving, but that is what the problem was.

SG

Hawkeye2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Ordered CTS V - ordered 03/13 delivered 06/24!

Wow, I bet that's a relief. To you, as well as others here. Glad it worked out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye2 View Post
    Wow, I bet that's a relief. To you, as well as others here. Glad it worked out for you.
    You have no idea my friend!

SG

jwa999 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 2009 White Diamond, 996TT Silver, G35 Coupe 6mt, M45S

I experience the same problem. It's not a temperature problem, here in TX. I first noticed it when I was backing out of the driveway turning left. First I thought the tire caught something, but there are no edges in the driveway. The I thought perhaps it was the rear differential not being used to sharp turns in reverse.
    I also notice it when I make fast left turns in a roundabout. It feels like the ABS Brake is engaging, click click click, although I wasn't using the brakes. Only happens when going very sharp turns. It is way to regular for it to be a rock or plastic. Definitely coming from the wheels.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.