Chattering/Clicking Sound Coming from Front End/Steering. Anyone Else? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Chattering/Clicking Sound Coming from Front End/Steering. Anyone Else? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Well, I did the TSB myself and it worked perfectly - wheel clicking gone. I did exactly what the TSB ...
    Z06ified is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Thunder Grey, Manual, Ultraview, Recaros, Wood

Re: Chattering/Clicking Sound Coming from Front End/Steering. Anyone Else?

Well, I did the TSB myself and it worked perfectly - wheel clicking gone. I did exactly what the TSB said: removed both front wheels, cleaned the wheel and hub mating surfaces, and increased the wheel lug torque to 158 ft. lbs. Worked like a charm. And I did it quicker myself than it would have taken the dealership to look up the TSB and do the paperwork!

Umrswimr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Dropped mine off yesterday to have it fixed. All better now. Hope it stays that way.

rtrocchia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

My 2011 coupe will make a loud clunk when I back up and cut the wheels left or right hard. Happened 3 times in a row while backing up and turning the wheel. Dealer said tech notice says with sport suspension and 19" wheels that will happen and there is no fix. Happened a whole lot of times and it's very concerning. Never had a car do this before. Feels like something is going to break in the steering. I wish a rock would fall out but that's just not happening. Any one want to buy my car? I'd rather have bought a MB like I traded. That NEVER happened on my E320. But the trans went so I traded it on the CTS Coupe Premium with the large 19" wheels. Any thoughts?

maxita is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS V

I have the same problem with my new 2012 CTS -V automatic that i received last week and within 150 Kms I noticed while I turn the wheels to the left I hear a loud sound that sounds like something clicking or more like a whole bunch of wheel bearings getting broken up. On turning the wheels to the right the sound is very less and only goes like a fast click. I hear this sound both in slow and high speed turns.

Its now embarassing coz each time i back out or turn into my garage I see my neighbors with that WTH look on their face.

Few days later after clocking almost 400 Kms I drove to the dealer and the service advisor told me that it was not a defect but was a normal sound that was on all CTS V models as they had received a bulletin from Cadillac confirming this as normal.

I just find it hard to believe that A luxury upmarket brand performance car like Cadillac can considers this as normal. I also own a 2009 C63 AMG and a 2010 Audi RS6. His is my first ever owned American car and I'm totally disappointed from this sound.

If the dealer cant fix it I might just go ahead and sell this baby.

I hope to hear from someone here that may have had the same problem and if they found a fix to it.

Thx

----------

I have the same problem with my new 2012 CTS -V automatic that i received last week and within 150 Kms I noticed while I turn the wheels to the left I hear a loud sound that sounds like something clicking or more like a whole bunch of wheel bearings getting broken up. On turning the wheels to the right the sound is very less and only goes like a fast click. I hear this sound both in slow and high speed turns.

Its now embarassing coz each time i back out or turn into my garage I see my neighbors with that WTH look on their face.

Few days later after clocking almost 400 Kms I drove to the dealer and the service advisor told me that it was not a defect but was a normal sound that was on all CTS V models as they had received a bulletin from Cadillac confirming this as normal.

I just find it hard to believe that A luxury upmarket brand performance car like Cadillac can considers this as normal. I also own a 2009 C63 AMG and a 2010 Audi RS6. His is my first ever owned American car and I'm totally disappointed from this sound.

I hope to hear from someone here that may have had the same problem and if they found a fix to it.

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by maxita View Post

Thx
    I'm surprised this is still happening on a 2012 model. The fix for my 2010 was to replace the front wheels with redesigned wheels with a different part number under a TSB, which was posted on this forum. These redesigned wheels which look the same on the outside, but have grooves machined on the hub mounting area, solved the problem perfectly: haven't heard a click since. I would have assumed they have been installing these redesigned wheels on production models since the TSB was released, which was late 2010 from what I recall (my car was an October 2009 build).

In any case, I certainly wouldn't sell the car over this problem. It was mildly annoying, and strange, but definitely didn't offset all the greatness the car offers. You should find another more competent dealership first, as the one you are seeing now definitely isn't providing acceptable levels of service.

maxita is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS V

Well the production date on my car is November 2011.. The wheels are black ..I'm not sure if its any different from the polished wheels that some of the older CST V's have coz the exterior design looks same. Im in Qatar and we have only one Cadillac dealer in the country so I have no options left but to hear what they say..this forum definitely helps ..thanks Guys

FLYING V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

My car was just in for this. Apparently there is a new TSB out replacing the cleaning/ re-torquing one. The service writer said they pulled the half-shafts and installed washers behind somewhere. He didn't really seem to know, but the clicking is gone for now. Unfortunately I now have another noise coming from the rear...not sure if they left it a little low on fluid or what.

Quote Originally Posted by FLYING V View Post
    My car was just in for this. Apparently there is a new TSB out replacing the cleaning/ re-torquing one. The service writer said they pulled the half-shafts and installed washers behind somewhere. He didn't really seem to know, but the clicking is gone for now. Unfortunately I now have another noise coming from the rear...not sure if they left it a little low on fluid or what.
    That's for the rear wheel clicking which occurs when moving from a stop to accelerating, and back down again. Similar sound as the front wheel click, but occurs under different conditions, and apparently, caused by a different thing. My car had both clicking ailments, front and rear. Replacing the front wheels with the new TSB design fixed the front clicking problem, and the TSB you mentioned with the washers around the rear axles fixed the rear clicking.

It's definitely an odd problem (I never had a car with clicking wheels before!!), but I'm glad they fixed it. All things considered, a very minor problem, and knock wood, about the only problem I've had with the car so far in 2 years and 19k miles.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Really enjoyed reading the helpful feedback for maxita! I just wanted to let you all know that if you ever have any questions on whether a recall, etc., currently pertains to your specific Cadillac vehicle, I'm happy to research that for you. All I need is your full name and VIN, so feel free to send me a PM anytime with that info.

Hope you all had a great weekend,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

blkdiamond is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I just took my 2011 in for the same reason.

Dealer took apart the steering column and advised of a defective part. Expect it to be fixed tomorrow. Will advise which part is involved. Hope this helps.

flatrockguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Raven V Sedan, M6, Graphite Rims, Yellow Brembos

Well just pulled in the garage and the clicking has started. My sedan only had 459 miles on it. The build date was 4-20-12, so they still have not found a fix! Oh the joy. I put over 50K miles on my 09 Dodge Charger SRT8 and never had it the dealer for anything. I sure thought that a Cadillac that cost 20K more would be better. It really sucks to have a new car with only 459 miles on it sound like an old clunker. I'm an engineer for GM and all I can say is I'm truly embarrassed.... I'm on the powertrain manufacturing side so please don't hold it against me....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.