Chattering/Clicking Sound Coming from Front End/Steering. Anyone Else? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Chattering/Clicking Sound Coming from Front End/Steering. Anyone Else? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by JFJr The wheel clicking TSB was performed at 6,830 miles and the clicking hasn't returned. I have ...
    Umrswimr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: Chattering/Clicking Sound Coming from Front End/Steering. Anyone Else?

Quote Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
    The wheel clicking TSB was performed at 6,830 miles and the clicking hasn't returned. I have over 22,000 miles on the car. Maybe other dealers are not following the TSB completely.
    I noticed this on my car last week while pulling through a parking lot. Seemed like the left front wheel clicking.

The procedure above seems to have been performed on the REAR wheels. Mine sure seems like it's in the front.

What does the TSB say?

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)

Quote Originally Posted by Umrswimr View Post
    I noticed this on my car last week while pulling through a parking lot. Seemed like the left front wheel clicking.

The procedure above seems to have been performed on the REAR wheels. Mine sure seems like it's in the front.

What does the TSB say?
    I believe that the front wheels are the only ones involved. I don't have the TSB handy.

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

What does the TSB say?
    The TSB is for the front wheels, not the rear wheels. Only the front wheels click because they are the ones turning. If your dealer performed the TSB on the rear wheels, I suggest you find another dealer.

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Some people never experience the "clicking" phenomenon. Some people can take their cars to the dealer a hundred times (whether or not anyone has actually done this, I don't know), and the clicking always comes back. I stand by what I said.

Gary Wells is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles

I don't see a lot of people posting up that they have not been able to get rid of their clicking, and I don't think that they have just decided to let it go and forget about it either.

Umrswimr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
    The TSB is for the front wheels, not the rear wheels. Only the front wheels click because they are the ones turning. If your dealer performed the TSB on the rear wheels, I suggest you find another dealer.
    I'm just going by what this fella said:

Quote Originally Posted by edsuski
    Guys,

I have had and fixed the "Clicking noise from Left front end of car when turning right in a tight, low speed, turn".

Dealer claimed the following:

"Right Rear outer Axle Spline Joints Burred. Causing Click When Torque Applied to Axel"..."R+R outer joint from knuckle, clean joint, joint splines and re-torque flange nut to proper spec"

Problem completely fixed! Front wheel clicking was also completely fixed after first attempt by dealer.

I love this car!

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Wells View Post
    I don't see a lot of people posting up that they have not been able to get rid of their clicking, and I don't think that they have just decided to let it go and forget about it either.
    Agreed, most of the cars the TSB has been working. It worked on mine.

edsuski is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I'm just going by what this fella said:
    Guys - we are talking about two different issues. The front wheels clicking when turning due to the wheel moving slightly against the hub is usually fixed by thoroughly cleaning the mating surfaces and re-torquing the wheel to 158 ft. lb. (I think that is the right number). For many of us, including myself, this totally fixes that problem.

The other problem is a "Clicking noise from the Left front end of car when turning right in a tight, low speed, turn". You do not hear this one if you turn left - only when turning right. My dealer installed something called chassis ears and determined that the noise was in fact coming from the rear. It really sounded to me like it was coming from the front - but, unless he made a mistake writing it up - the dealer claimed it originated from the rear. The fix was "Right Rear outer Axle Spline Joints Burred. Causing Click When Torque Applied to Axel"..."R+R outer joint from knuckle, clean joint, joint splines and re-torque flange nut to proper spec".

This completely fixed the second problem. I am now at 20K miles and no more clicking from either source.

Good luck.

Ed

DiamondWhtV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Well...add me to the list now. Heard the clicking in the left front wheel when turning right going into the garage last night with the window down. As soon as the wheel was turned straight noise went away. Not ready to go to the dealer yet, but will add it to the list of things to fix that I am making. BTW I only have 1600 miles on the car.

ruben is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts v 2011 6 sp black recaro/suede/polish wheels

Take your car to the dealer and ask them for bulletin document id:2261126.

It was done in my car but it still does it at times. I guess gm wants us to deal with certain problems not to spend on a real cure.

good luck

Z06ified is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Thunder Grey, Manual, Ultraview, Recaros, Wood

I'm wondering if the noise has something to do with the co-cast rotors and the wheel design? I mean it is somewhat unusual to have an aluminum rotor hat which the wheel rubs against, cast into a cast iron rotor, as one piece. Needless to say, mine started clicking loudly at about 1,800 miles. Gonna do the TSB myself and see if it works. Freakin weird sound though.

Gary, you can make all the assumptions you want and some will be correct and others will be wrong. In a previous post to this thread you said "I don't see a lot of people posting up that they have not been able to get rid of their clicking, and I don't think that they have just decided to let it go and forget about it either." I, for one, tried the tightning of the lug nuts. This eliminated the clicking for about 1500 miiles. When the clicking came back, I decided to forget about it. So, I guess I am one of those people you don't see. Actually, I guess I fall into the latter group since I did decide to forget about it and am now posting that fact..

Ted:
    The only assumption that I am making here is that you are almost as hard headed and / or stubborn as I am and we both like to disagree.

Benny Hill used to use the word "assume" as one of his favorite jokes. He would say that anytime you "assume," you make an "ass" out of "u" and "me." Perhaps you should rethink making assumptions.

I never copped to making any others, only the one posted above.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.