Chattering/Clicking Sound Coming from Front End/Steering. Anyone Else? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Chattering/Clicking Sound Coming from Front End/Steering. Anyone Else? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by AERO1 This morning I noticed this chattering/clicking sound coming from the front end of the car at ...
    UAEmonster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Re: Chattering/Clicking Sound Coming from Front End/Steering. Anyone Else?

Quote Originally Posted by AERO1 View Post
    This morning I noticed this chattering/clicking sound coming from the front end of the car at very slow speeds, BUT ONLY when the wheels are turned 3/4 to full lock left and right. When the wheels are straight, no noise. I can hear it inside the car and outside the car, it is quite loud.

Anyone else have this issue and what is the fix for it? I made an appointment with my local dealer to have this looked at tomorrow.

It would be nice to tell them what the problem is so they don't spend two days trying to figure it out.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

SG

Mine does the same too, am facing the same problem now ! and am worried about it , it is a sound like CLICK , CLICK , CLICK ... while turning left only .. like about 3/4 to full lock left !!!!

so, plz inform me if u took it to the workshop ? have u solved the problem yet?

thanks.

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe on Order, 2013 Escalade ESV,

Quote Originally Posted by UAEmonster View Post
    Mine does the same too, am facing the same problem now ! and am worried about it , it is a sound like CLICK , CLICK , CLICK ... while turning left only .. like about 3/4 to full lock left !!!!

so, plz inform me if u took it to the workshop ? have u solved the problem yet?

thanks.
    Dealer put my V on a lift and turned the wheel and when they did that, a big rock popped out. Apparently a rock got caught somewhere between the wheel, caliper and brake pads. I can't see how that can happen when you are moving, but that is what the problem was.

SG

Albertan is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS REDLINE 2006 CTS-V Infared

Interesting problem. Probably not the first time GM has experienced this. All GM 1/2 tons (since 2005 I believe) have come with rear drum brakes. My 2001 has rear disks. I wanted to buy a new one until I found out about the drum brakes. GM's reason was that there had been too many warranty claims with rocks getting caught in the disk brakes! I thought it was a lame excuse for saving $20 on the truck. Maybe I was wrong, first time for everyone!

UAEmonster is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the information "AERO1" , i will take mine to the workshop , maybe with the first service "10,000" KM lool

ReconCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yes the same problem with me but when I took it in to the dealership they said that all the 2009 Cts-v's make the sound and put it on the jack and checked it out anyway then they told me that is was the suspension on these bad bady's makin the noise, the thing that gets me is this is a 60thousand dollar car I think Cadillac should have got this problem before putting these on the assembly line.

mcopp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V (also owned 2004 V)

I had a nail in a front left tire at 2k miles and after the wheels were taken off and re-mounted, I started having the same problem. Turning far right/left at low speeds or hard right/left at higher speeds resulted in a loud metallic clicking sound. Took it to the dealer and they said it was an issue with the lug nuts not being torqued high enough when I had tire replaced (recommended torque is 140 vs. normal, which is ~90). They torqued to 140 @ dealer and it fixed problem for a few weeks. I put up with it (VERY frustrating) until I replaced all four tires, at which time I asked them to torque to 160. That was over a month ago and not a single pop since. Hope it helps! Now on to tackle two other noise issues I've had: popping in the sunroof when the body is torqued (like going in/out of driveways at an angle) and the groan in the rear end (differential?) when car is cold.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

The revised (TSB) torque is actually 158 lb-ft, so good move. My clicking came back twice after they supposedly did it twice, but hope yours is gone for good.

DiamondWhtV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

So is this normal or not. Mine has done it from day one, but only on sharp turns, especially when backing out with the tires close to full lock. When it happened on the day I picked it up, they took me over to service and they said it was because of the width of the tire and high caster angles that the sidewall of the tire tucks in and springs back making a noise. I accepted that, but now you guys are getting me to wonder.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

^^^
    Different issue. That's the infamous "suspension clunk while backing and turning when cold out issue." That's "normal." The wheel clicking when turning sharply isn't.

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Clicking in turns is a normal problem with these cars. Various fixes, including the TSB, eliminate the sound temporarily. It is not a real problem. Clunking in sharp turns is also normal with these cars and is the Michelin PS2 tires grabbing then letting go. Like the clicking, this is not a real problem. Unlike the clicking (wheel to hub interface), clunking will reduce or go away with higher temperatures. Some folks have eliminated the clunking competely by changing tires.

Gary Wells is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles

Originally posted by me on 03-07-2010, copied and pasted by me for this thread:
    Not in all cases has the clicking returned. There have been a few recorded cases where the first fix took care of the problem. There are at least 2 cases where the owner took care of it themselves. There are no reported cases where somebody with the clicking issue went to aftermarket wheels / rims and the clicking returned or remained. And there are cases where it has never happened or been reported. there has, however been 1 case where GM supplied brand new rims and the clicking returned and / or remained.
    And to some people, I am sure that it is more than a minor annoyance, but not considered a safety defect by GM.
    Interestingly enough, at least to me, is the fact that so far not 1 2010 has reported the issue, but there again, maybe no one owning a 2010 has enough miles on the car for it to occur yet. Time will tell.

edsuski is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Guys,

I have had and fixed the "Clicking noise from Left front end of car when turning right in a tight, low speed, turn".

Dealer claimed the following:

"Right Rear outer Axle Spline Joints Burred. Causing Click When Torque Applied to Axel"..."R+R outer joint from knuckle, clean joint, joint splines and re-torque flange nut to proper spec"

Problem completely fixed! Front wheel clicking was also completely fixed after first attempt by dealer.

I love this car!

Ed

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Anything that alters the wheel-hub interface, such as the procedure described by edsuski above, will temporarily eliminate the clicking. In most cases it eventually returns - sometimes sooner, sometimes later.

Gary Wells is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles

Quote Originally Posted by tedcmiller View Post
    Anything that alters the wheel-hub interface, such as the procedure described by edsuski above, will temporarily eliminate the clicking. In most cases it eventually returns - sometimes sooner, sometimes later.
    I think that in most cases, the infamous front wheel clicking gets resolved. I think that it depends upon how many times a person is willing to either take it to the dealer for the TSB procedure and / or perform it themselves.

JFJr is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)

The wheel clicking TSB was performed at 6,830 miles and the clicking hasn't returned. I have over 22,000 miles on the car. Maybe other dealers are not following the TSB completely.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.