Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Ride on really bad roads

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Short-Throw 
#1 ·
I live on an unpaved road that frequently gets very washboarded and full of potholes (looks like a B-52 made a run down it some days). While I'm sure that nobody has taken their V off road I am curious if anyone can comment on how well the magnetic suspension adapts to potholes and the like.

#2 ·
Hi Sean,

Are you looking to get into trouble with yet another vehicle now?

The MR suspension gives a very compliant ride. It is the harsh roads that you really notice the difference when the car is in Tour mode. I've driven over some very rough RR tracks and it's like butter. If it's a very rough road with many bumps you will be pleased.......if you hit a hole that will swallow the tire completely there's only so much that can be done.

One other note. The MR suspension does a wonderful job when the car comes over a crest. Most car will have the suspension unload on them as the car shoots for the sky. The V2 hunkers down and really keeps the car from feeling 'floaty'.

I will have mine at Track Attack this year for a first hand look of you want...from the drivers seat!

Mike

#3 ·
I have driven my V to my hunting camp on the Mississippi River. The ride was better than I expected. After driving 16 miles on levys and through fields the V did not once act up. Sure the roads were rough, as is expected this time of year on gravel, yet the ride inside was very comfortable. I have been there twice in my V and would not hesitate to go there in it. Now if it has rained a day before the fields become gumbo and even a four wheel drive truck with a lift kit would have trouble.

#5 ·
I came upon a pothole on the freeway with nowhere to go so suddenly, all I had time for was "sh!t!," but the hit wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. It felt like that corner wasn't allowed to "fall in" completely. I inspected the wheel and tire after I got home and not a mark could be seen.

#6 ·
Thanks all - this is exactly the feedback I was hoping to hear. I'm trying to justify the purchase and something that can handle my road is a big part of it. I'm tearing up the Porsche as a daily driver on that road. But to be honest I'm still in the dreaming phase (funny this is how the Z06 started about a year before I broke down and bought it).

It's great to see all the CF folks over here - looks like I'm among friends again. Mike, I'd definitely like to see and ride in yours at Track Attack this year. As I recall you got the Recaro's right?

Back to trying to decide on my track tires for the Z...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.